These #'s Sound Right?

DrTaco

Established Member
Hi all,

Issue is that I just got my 03 Cobra last week and don't know 100% what all has been done to it. Been driving her easy until I could get her on the local dynojet last night. According to my runs, I'm at 430hp with 428 max torque. Now, I KNOW I have a full Bassani exhaust system, have a 2.8 upper pulley, throttle body/plenum, and a Densecharger. My question is that the tuner said he thinks Im in the 14-15 boost range, I told a few friends that and two of them have said my numbers sound low IF I do have that much boost. So, as a newbie I'm turning to the vets on this board for your input? Do you think my numbers sound like they are in the correct ballpark? Is the tuner just off with my boost numbers? I really can't think of anything else that could be done to the car that I havent checked, only other issue is that the tuner says my mass air meter is pegging out and wants me to throw a new one (along with better spark plugs) in there next week. Thanks for your input all, I appreciate it.

Mark

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
A buddy of mine made 450hp/461tq with his 2.8 pulley/intake/exhaust/tune. (104 degrees in dyno) I would say that your numbers are down a bit but that could be because of the tune. What are your air/fuel's at and how much timing?

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Your numbers seem on the low side but as said it could very easily be a really conservative tune.

Suprised that your pegging your MAF, you should be close but not maxing it. I'd like to see some datalogs before spending money on that. Do you have a handheld tuner (xcal2) ?.

Good idea about the plugs, you should change the fuel-filter also (preventive maintenance).

14-15psi would be peak boost, more like 14psi. Although it would of been very easy to log on a dyno.

Last edited:

DrTaco

Established Member
Screamin Cobra,

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work so I dont have the dyno sheet with me, but I'll check the other numbers and get back to you. As far as the tune goes, as far as I know the car does NOT have any kind of tune (yes, I know it's scary). But, I can't be sure. Talked to the previous owner over the phone, but he only had the car for a short time and didn't seem to know too much. So, you think it seems low too huh? Man, now Im just getting annoyed that something could be up with dynojet and/or tuner! Thanks for the input

04CobraMatt- Im hoping it's just a bad tune also, but that's why I have been taking it so slow until I figure all this out. I do not have a handheld yet (just got the car on Thurs), so I will be looking into one soon. Thanks for the fuel-filter tip. My buddy just got me worried because he made it seem like the car is running MORE than the dyno is saying for some reason= don't want to do anything retarded and hurt this engine if I dont have an accurate idea of what's in there

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Screamin Cobra,

Thanks for the reply. I'm at work so I dont have the dyno sheet with me, but I'll check the other numbers and get back to you. As far as the tune goes, as far as I know the car does NOT have any kind of tune (yes, I know it's scary). But, I can't be sure. Talked to the previous owner over the phone, but he only had the car for a short time and didn't seem to know too much. So, you think it seems low too huh? Man, now Im just getting annoyed that something could be up with dynojet and/or tuner! Thanks for the input

no tune = no boost :nono:

xenodragon

Established Member
Toss the Densecharger...generally you want a straight shot with an intake and if i remember right the Densecharger has like a 90 degree elbow in it.

The boost seems a bit high with those mods imo, but its possible.

Numbers definetly seem low...i was making 455 with just a 2.93 upper and a catback.

When you get a chance post up your a/f

TrickStang37

Established Member
Hi all,

Issue is that I just got my 03 Cobra last week and don't know 100% what all has been done to it. Been driving her easy until I could get her on the local dynojet last night. According to my runs, I'm at 430hp with 428 max torque. Now, I KNOW I have a full Bassani exhaust system, have a 2.8 upper pulley, throttle body/plenum, and a Densecharger. My question is that the tuner said he thinks Im in the 14-15 boost range, I told a few friends that and two of them have said my numbers sound low IF I do have that much boost. So, as a newbie I'm turning to the vets on this board for your input? Do you think my numbers sound like they are in the correct ballpark? Is the tuner just off with my boost numbers? I really can't think of anything else that could be done to the car that I havent checked, only other issue is that the tuner says my mass air meter is pegging out and wants me to throw a new one (along with better spark plugs) in there next week. Thanks for your input all, I appreciate it.

Mark
mine made 442 SAE with similar mods, although it was on the 8th or so pull on the tune with about 8 minutes cool down between runs. Your probably between 13-14#'s. But do stay out of boost completely untill it gets tuned Also, my MAF did peg with 442 SAE, but the car was making 465-470 rwhp uncorrected at the time.

01SN8K

In Hawaii
Established Member
you really need to figure if there is any sore of a tune before ever going into boost. if you have a full exhaust that includes headers then you may not see more than 12-13#'s of boost. you need to see what kind of a/f the car was running. where the timing is at. and also pull the plugs. it is a good idea to change those. while the car was on the dyno, did it seem to fall on its face and stop making power as the rpm's climbed up. where did the tuner stop the pull? did he run it all the way to 6-6200 rpm area?

DrTaco

Established Member
Thanks for all the help guys, I appreciate it. Haha, don't worry..no boost for me until all is figured out. Also, thanks for the heads up about the densecharger. I'll be shopping around in the future I guess. As for everything else, I'm staring at the line graph of my A/F, what all do you need to hear about exactly? Kinda hard to tell from the readout, but it looks like it was "15" at 2500rpm and did a very steady downslope to "11" at 6300ish rpm. From what I can tell, the tuner stopped at the 6500rpm range. During the runs I didn't notice anything like the car falling on it's face, it seemed to stay pretty constant. But, you have to remember this is my first Cobra so I may have not been hearing what I should have been. Well, once again, thanks again for the help. Lookin' forward to figuring this all out and enjoying the car for years to come

Aww crap, I almost forgot. I had: P1450 "unable to bleed up fuel tank vacuum" pop up. Tuner said didn't concern the dyno results. This was BEFORE the dyno run. I have no clue about it. Mean anything to you?

Last edited:

nothingelse

03SilverSnake
Established Member
I will say this your numbers are low!!! I only have a 2.93 Upper Pulley, Bassani exhaust, and a CAI and I am at 460rwhp and 460 rwtq. Most likely the lack of tune is the cause of the low numbers. With that said my tuner informed me that I should upgrade my MAF if i decide to add any more power as I am getting very close to pegging it in my current configuration. Just get a tune then experience the full potential of the car you will not be disappointed!!!!!

P.S. If your car does not have the IRS BRACE BUY THAT SECOND, THE TUNE COMES FIRST. YOU WILL LIKELY BREAK THE DIFFERENTIAL SEAL WITH THE INCREASED TORQUE AND HP.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread