thermostat?

yello3cobra

Established Member
i have an lfp radiator and heat exchanger,2.76 pulley,508hp and 493 trq,not alot,while drivability was being done on the dyno,it started blowing antifreeze out of the cap.we couldnt see anything wrong,car was 196 degrees,drivin about 400 miles since then,which was monday,took a rode trip this weekend and raced a bmw,no probs got of to fuel up and returned to the interstate, car lost power as if the supercharger gave up,thought it was heat(still only 194-196)so let it cool never gave me a prob.today drove 100 miles back no prob,left home filled up and drove a half mile to the gym,ac quit blowing cool,spewing coolant,made it home,tuner said check the coolant,filled it back up,no more probs,any ideas what caused this,still dont feel comfortable driving.

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
has your car ever overheated ? wondered since you have an aftermarket radiator. Kinda sounds like you have a bad head gasket. My 00 GT gave up a headgasket after overheating when the stock radiator went out and it began spewing coolant from the rad cap. Try and leave the rad cap loose so the system doesn't pressurize and see if it wil hold the hot coolant in mine did and I drove it like that for a few thousand miles with a slight miss until I had the engine rebuilt :(

if your car gets too hot it will pull a lot of timing and you can feel a major reduction in power. Maybe even going into limp mode. Not sure if the ECU will open the boost bypass under those circumstances ??

Last edited:

allclock

Established Member
Dumb question, but are you filling from the cross-over tube? and burping a few times after that to get rid of air bubbles in the system?

yello3cobra

Established Member
great advice!i did fill from xover tube- update,took for test drive after refiling coolant ,noticed coolant was coming from intercooler resevoir,looked into problem and found fuse to intercooler was popped,replaced fuse cannot recreate prob.Could this have caused all of that?:shrug:

68_GT

Terminated '98
Established Member
fuse to intercooler ???

are you saying the intercooler resivoir overflowed, or the radiator resivoir overflowed ?

yello3cobra

Established Member
no surging or anything,first the coolant resevoir then intercooler a few days later,im thinking it could be my thermostat then the intercooler deal was just coinsidence,but not positive

Users who are viewing this thread