The WWII Thread

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
T-34 and the Sherman definitely helped win the war. The 88 on the Tiger I and II was an awesome main gun. I can’t imagine going up against something like that.

It’s pretty amazing to note that the Panthers Long barrel 75mm had more stopping power than the Tiger 1s 88mm.

Recon

Established Member
Two of my great uncles were in the war. Unfortunately I had no idea until their passing that, that was true. I believe both were in the European theatre and I recall one specifically being in a mortar squad. I think the other was in infantry. Thankfully both survived the war.

Sent from somewhere in the twilight zone…

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Higher velocity?
Yes because it had the KwK 42 L/70 75 mm compare that with the PAK-40/ Pz IV L48 barrel the L denotes length in calibers (75mm ammo) so it took 70 rounds to cover from the chamber to the end of the muzzle brake so it was almost twice as long as the standard L/48

Silverstrike

It's to big to move FAST!
Established Member
Always liked the Brummbar, which was never really called by the Germans or it's crew but it was known as the Sturmpanzer IV or Stupa for short. It was made to tackle the fortifications and strong points around Kursk with the Abtilung 216 or Sturmpanzer Battalion 216. Each battalion was independent and so they went to fron to front where they was requested or needed most. Instead of being assigned to a division or corps. It had up to 120mm thick armor at the front and almost 80 at the sides. Most of them was built on recovered Pz IV Aufs G and H tanks, then the front of the hull was removed along with the turret and the casemate added along with the Skoda built StuH 43 L/12 150mm howitzer.

There was two versions of this weapon produced for the Brummbar. The first had a thicker armored ball socket which added so much weight that it wore out and broke certain suspension parts and final drives! so a lighter version was designed and made and so put less weight on the nose. And so the problems went away, there is a famous film clip of Brummbars driving pass the Colosseum in Rome this was the 216 that transfered from Orel on the Eastern Front and was on their way to stop the Anzio landings south of the city. They would remain in Italy until the end of the war in May 1945. There was also the 217, 218, and 219 battalion's. the 217 was used against the US in Normandy and would be assigned in France the low countries and then was captured in the great Ruhr pocket when the UK and US forces eliminated it in April of 1945. the 218 was never really kitted out because they was only able to get 7 to 9 of the Brummbars and every time they was to get more they was given to one of the other battalions for replacements. So they ended up turning in the Brummbars and getting Stug III's instead in February 1945. Then the 219 was pretty much on the Eastern Front from their first day to Cottbus and their surrender to the Soviets in the first week of May 1945.

Attachments

• IMG_1148.JPG
    IMG_1148.JPG
    348.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Dr. Gonzo

We're in Bat Country
Established Member
Premium Member
I have to imagine the concept for the Gustav Gun was right after the fuhrer bump a rail of brown brown off Eva's ass. I want a piece of artillery in my armament that can launch a shell that weighs more than a tank to NYC. Impressive engineering.
schwerer-gustav.jpg

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
My grandfather was at D-Day (not the initial first wave of boys who went in) as some kind of support engineer. Until the last year or so of his life he never spoke a word about it besides anything good he saw in France. Once he knew his mortality was near, he told stories that made Hollywood movies look tame.

What always struck me is how France, Britain and Germany learned nothing from WWII.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
My paternal Gramps was a side gunner on a B-24 Liberator. On his 24th raid (25 and they got to go home) they were shot up by AA fire after bombing an oil refinery in Northern Germany. The crew voted on what to do and decided to fly across the Baltic Sea to neutral Sweden where the crew was interned for 6 months.

One of the engines was blown and the hydraulics lost pressure so they had to crash land. Apparently the B-24s weren't the greatest planes so the plane could barely stay in the air on 3 engines. Must have been scary as shit to know that a heavily damaged plane is your ride across 100 miles of water.

It's been 9 years since he's gone but he had some great stories. He even had a girlfriend during his time in Sweden and possibly knocked her up as great gramps once wired a relatively large sum of money to someone in Sweden.

42-100146MISTAHCHICK2_zpsd7952451.jpg

He even got to meet the Queen of England.

Gramps with queen.JPG
hinchmancrewlarge1_zps40559782.jpg

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
I have been on a kick reading about WWII through the eyes of the Germans. There are many good books about the Eastern front.

Re: the western front, there is a phenomenal book written by Germans stationed at Normandy. I believe it is called "Through Their Eyes."

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
I have been on a kick reading about WWII through the eyes of the Germans. There are many good books about the Eastern front.

Re: the western front, there is a phenomenal book written by Germans stationed at Normandy. I believe it is called "Through Their Eyes."

Careful, you’re gonna get labeled an “Hitler Simp.”

Viewing Different perspectives ist verboten.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My grandpa was a commissioned as a Captain in the Army and was Intel iirc. Spent time in Burma but he told my dad a story about being on one of the islands in Japan and in the trenches after a battle occurred. They thought it was clear but turned a corner and saw Japanese soldiers a little further down the trench and they had to high-tail it out of there jumping over and stepping on bodies and such. Don't know the accuracy of the story or the true intensity of it, but it sounded like there weren't many of them down there and if they had been seen would have been in deep shit.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Two best ww2 stories i know

My best friends grandfather was in the 2nd wave at Omaha on D day. One day when we were like 14 wr wete sighting in our rifles for woodchuck duty and his grandfather comes walking out side with a german 9mm luger ask adked us if we wanted the shoot it... Me being stupid and excited as hell to shoot it asked him where he got it lol

He goes "sit down boys" and even his own son had not heard this story at the time...he told us about how they were on a patrol in france shortly after D day and they came across a squad preparing for DA on an allied position and they caught them by suprise at very close range. The German officer who owned the luger evidently had by buddies grandfather dead to rights and somehow missed on his first shot as my buddy was trying to reload his M1. He then decided to swing the m1 like a bat and hit the german flush in face knockin him out and then he pay his bayonette in the germans chest...then he took his pistol and went back to work

We just sat there speechless lol.

Then a DR i worked with a few years ago whose father was in Bastone was on a small patrol to find the german line ij the middle of the night...they found a MG42 nest and thr Doctors father fell trying ro escape and when he got back to the american line he found to bullet holes in the jacket and blouse and not one piece of broken skin.

The DR showed me his coat and there was a hole in the right shoulder and one in the left flank area...bullets never hit his dad

HudsonFalcon

Established Member

Gonna check out that book for sure.

Did you see All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix? Really good. WWI but still very good.

All always believed that WWII was basically a continuation of WWI with a 20 year break to rearm.

Last edited:

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
My paternal Gramps was a side gunner on a B-24 Liberator. On his 24th raid (25 and they got to go home) they were shot up by AA fire after bombing an oil refinery in Northern Germany. The crew voted on what to do and decided to fly across the Baltic Sea to neutral Sweden where the crew was interned for 6 months.

One of the engines was blown and the hydraulics lost pressure so they had to crash land. Apparently the B-24s weren't the greatest planes so the plane could barely stay in the air on 3 engines. Must have been scary as shit to know that a heavily damaged plane is your ride across 100 miles of water.

It's been 9 years since he's gone but he had some great stories. He even had a girlfriend during his time in Sweden and possibly knocked her up as great gramps once wired a relatively large sum of money to someone in Sweden.

View attachment 1777137

He even got to meet the Queen of England.

View attachment 1777139View attachment 1777140

Absolutely amazing that they survived 25 missions.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member

Did you see All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix? Really good. WWI but still very good.

All always believed that WWII was basically a continuation of WWI with a 20 year break to rearm.

I will have to check that out. I am a bit of a WWI nerd, too.

This is the book. Incredible read. There are two separate books.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse

Absolutely amazing that they survived 25 missions.

Agreed about All Quiet on the Western Front. Some absolutely brutal scenes and the sound effects really help convey the terror that those teenagers/early 20s were subjected to. Like when the tanks emerge from the fog and they are just dumbstruck at what they are seeing.

And agreed about surviving 25 missions. Between enemy aircraft and AA guns, holes were being punched into the fuselage on a regular basis.

It's about the Korean war but we just watched Devotion. A bit of a racial component but based on a true story and a well made and entertaining movie.

Users who are viewing this thread