The Vibration that wont go away

fordracing19

Established Member
Car was in the shop 3 weeks. 17k miles and it still vibrates bad at 55-70 Less vibration when you go over 70. It has had 4 sets of wheels and tires all road forced balanced. They just replaced rear hub bearings, drive shaft, ring,pinion,diff case,and all the bearings. Still vibrates just as much.:shrug: I have till 3/30/07 and then warranty runs out. :cuss:

Terminator

Established Member
Don't worry bout your warranty running out.
If an existing issue has not been resolved and the warranty runs out, Ford is still liable until it gets fixed. Talk to the service manager and ask for a field engineer to help them diagnose your vibration issue.

04Sonic

Established Member
17248 2003 Mustang Cobra - Driveline Vibration
Some 2003 Mustang Cobras May Exhibit A Vibration While Driving. If The Vibration Is Felt At 45 Mph And Increases In Intensity As Speed Increases, Replace The Rear Axle Assembly (ford Part# 241l). If The Vibration Is Felt While Driving At Least 65 Mph And Increases In Intensity As Speed Increases, Replace The Driveshaft (ford Part# 2r3j-4602-aa). If The Vibration Is Felt While Driving At Least 65 Mph And Does Not Increase In Intensity, But Is Constant As Speed Increases, Then Neutralize The Exhaust System As Stated In The 2003 Workshop Manual Section 100-04.
Effective Date: 10/02/2003

fordracing19

Established Member
Put the car on the lift and pulled the rear wheels off and at 60 mph the vibration is still bad. Why couldn't ford duplicate and fix this? They already thew some parts at it might as well through parts at it till it's fixed. I think it might be in the tranny and I had a complaint on the trans and they couldn't duplicate it.

03COORS

i love going fast
Established Member
You Most Lokely Have A Shifted Belt In One Of The Tires At Freeway Speeds. This Would Not Show Up On A Road Force Balancer Due To The Fact That The Balancer Only Spins At A Rate Of 40 Mph Not The Necesary 65 To 70. First See If The Vibration Comes Through The Steering Wheel ( Indicating From Tire) Or Through The Seat Of Your Pants ( Indicating Rear Tire.) If From The Front Move Them To The Rear, Jack Rear End Up And Look Visually At The Tires For A Wobble Or Vibration Up And Down. If The Vibration Is From The Rear Just Jack Up And Repeat. Find A Friend With 17 Inch Mustang Wheels. Install Them On The Vehicle And Drive, This Will Solidify Your Finding Of A Tire Belt Shifted. If The Vibration Goes Away After 70 It Is Most Likely A Tire/wheel Issue Even Though They Were Road Force Balanced. A Ring/pinion, And Driveshaft Would Worsen The Faster You Go. If You Have Questions Call My Cell At 734 377 4519 Ask For Sean

fordracing19

Established Member
03COORS said:
You Most Lokely Have A Shifted Belt In One Of The Tires At Freeway Speeds. This Would Not Show Up On A Road Force Balancer Due To The Fact That The Balancer Only Spins At A Rate Of 40 Mph Not The Necesary 65 To 70. First See If The Vibration Comes Through The Steering Wheel ( Indicating From Tire) Or Through The Seat Of Your Pants ( Indicating Rear Tire.) If From The Front Move Them To The Rear, Jack Rear End Up And Look Visually At The Tires For A Wobble Or Vibration Up And Down. If The Vibration Is From The Rear Just Jack Up And Repeat. Find A Friend With 17 Inch Mustang Wheels. Install Them On The Vehicle And Drive, This Will Solidify Your Finding Of A Tire Belt Shifted. If The Vibration Goes Away After 70 It Is Most Likely A Tire/wheel Issue Even Though They Were Road Force Balanced. A Ring/pinion, And Driveshaft Would Worsen The Faster You Go. If You Have Questions Call My Cell At 734 377 4519 Ask For Sean
fordracing19 said:
Put the car on the lift and pulled the rear wheels off and at 60 mph the vibration is still bad. Why couldn't ford duplicate and fix this? They already thew some parts at it might as well through parts at it till it's fixed. I think it might be in the tranny and I had a complaint on the trans and they couldn't duplicate it.

Read son.

03COORS

i love going fast
Established Member
Remove Your Driveshaft And Feel The U-joints. If There Is Any Binding In The Movement They Are Frozen. Another Test Of The U Joints Is To Grap The Caps And Move Adjacent To The Caps. If There Is Any Freeplay The U-joints Are Bad. Weird Things Happen To Cars. You May Not Have Any Problem Before 55 Or After 70 Due To Road And Driveshaft Harmonics, But Between Those Speeds It Could. Visually Look When The Car Is On A Hoist For The Most Oscillation Out Of A Specific Area And Go From There. Good Luck

fordracing19

Established Member
fordracing19 said:
They just replaced rear hub bearings, drive shaft, ring,pinion,diff case,and all the bearings. Still vibrates just as much.:shrug: I have till 3/30/07 and then warranty runs out. :cuss:

03COORS said:
Remove Your Driveshaft And Feel The U-joints. If There Is Any Binding In The Movement They Are Frozen. Another Test Of The U Joints Is To Grap The Caps And Move Adjacent To The Caps. If There Is Any Freeplay The U-joints Are Bad. Weird Things Happen To Cars. You May Not Have Any Problem Before 55 Or After 70 Due To Road And Driveshaft Harmonics, But Between Those Speeds It Could. Visually Look When The Car Is On A Hoist For The Most Oscillation Out Of A Specific Area And Go From There. Good Luck
?

dbotkin

Established Member
My car vibrates bad (from what feels like the rear end) from 65+ so any more info you guys may have would be great...

03COORS

i love going fast
Established Member
You Cannot Really Tell If A Vibration Is Gone On The Hoist With Wheels Off. The Oscillations Caused By The Vehilce Will Vibrate The Whole Car When It's Not Planted On It's Shoes. You Need To Swap Wheels With Another Owner, This Is The Simplest And Easiest Way To Iliminate A Ghost Concern From The Tires. Dealerships Don't Like To Do Wheel Swaps Because There Is No Pay For Them In It, So I;ll Bet It Wasn't Done, And Like I Said A Shifting Belt At High Speeds Will Not Show Up In A Road Force. Just Try It.

fordracing19

Established Member
03COORS said:
You Cannot Really Tell If A Vibration Is Gone On The Hoist With Wheels Off. The Oscillations Caused By The Vehilce Will Vibrate The Whole Car When It's Not Planted On It's Shoes. You Need To Swap Wheels With Another Owner, This Is The Simplest And Easiest Way To Iliminate A Ghost Concern From The Tires. Dealerships Don't Like To Do Wheel Swaps Because There Is No Pay For Them In It, So I;ll Bet It Wasn't Done, And Like I Said A Shifting Belt At High Speeds Will Not Show Up In A Road Force. Just Try It.
fordracing19 said:
It has had 4 sets of wheels and tires all road forced balanced. They just replaced rear hub bearings, drive shaft, ring,pinion,diff case,and all the bearings. Still vibrates just as much.:shrug:

One of the sets of wheels the car had on it the dealer swapped from a customers car. I paid $39.95 the for 2 tire rotations to do it. They road tested the other car first to make sure it had no vibrations.

fordracing19

Established Member
Well that was quick. The dealer tried to screw me out of $1097 on the paper work so I am getting my cobra back. Wife likes it more anyways. It will go back to the shop on Tuesday.

Ironhand

Banned
1Quick4.6 said:
Try rotating the drive shaft 180 degrees on the pinion flange.

TRY THIS!!.. I just switchout my IRS for a Solid and I have a real bad vibration and the flange is not in the right spot.. So keep rotateing it untill is stops and check all the nuts and bolts so they are torqued down correctly.. The driveshaft is balanced differently then the pinion and flange and the flange most go on exact same way as before or a vibration will happen.. I will be rotating that all day today because of it.

fordracing19

Established Member
Well this is a lil update from a pm from the tech that looked at my car yesterday. I havent heard any news today.

Damn that car has some serious "cowl shake". Damn convertibles.

I took off the tires on the lift, spun her up to around 60-70.. yep feel some good (not so good) vibrations. Hooked up the vibration gizmo. said wheel 3 order vibration...... :??: damn wheels were not even on it!!!! :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread