The truth about cut springs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneN.

Established Member
bump.

going to do a full coil all the way around this coming weekend unless anyone can say it's badddd.

T.Bone

Established Member
I don't think I would go that much, from the picture you posted above it looks like it will be dragging everything!

It looks great, but not sure how it will be driving. Have you PM'd any of the guys that have done a full coil to see how it is and if it drags allot?

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
i was gonna do the 1/2 a coil up front and 3/4 in the back, but since i decided to ditch the 275-40 up front, im gonna go 3/4 all the way around since I will be using a 245-40 or 255-40 up front, cuz i dont want to have a big gap between the tire and fender...what do you guys think?????

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
Oh BTW how many of you had to get an aligment after cutting the springs????????

ShaneN.

Established Member
I pm'd a few guys with the full coil and they seem gung ho on the idea.

T.Bone

Established Member
SSSNAKE04 said:
Oh BTW how many of you had to get an aligment after cutting the springs????????

I would recommend an alignment when you are done.

Shane, Let me know what you think when you are done. I think it looks awesome, but I know I would forget to slow down on entrace to parking lots and such...

ShaneN.

Established Member
I think I'm going to pussy out and go with the 3/4 of a coil all around. I'll post pics this weekend when it's done.

ShaneN.

Established Member
eff it, there's too much variation. I'm going H&R SS's. already trying to figure out if the local guys have a set... argh... i hate waiting.....

ShaneN.

Established Member
I mean there is so many different opinions on how much to cut and where. The SS h&r's sit perfect for what i'm looking for and they are only and extra 350ish CAD, so I'm going with those.

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
Can anybody tell me what kind of drop to expect from a 3/4 coil cut all the way around???
Like 1.5"????????let me know asap...

Buddy03Coby

Sideways is the Fun way.
Established Member
I am going with full coil out in the rear and about 1/2" short of full coil in the front this weekend with out stock Isos. Stock Coupe Springs. Cut from the bottom. Want to get a level rake. I am picky where I drive my car so should be ok. Not a DD. I know the streets where I live and dont mind walking if I have to park some where else. Will take befor and after pictures. :)

Last edited:

T.Bone

Established Member
Since you are running straight pipes from the cats you should be okay, if you decide to put mufflers on I will bet you will drag them on the smallest bump in the road.

I scrape now when I hit a high spot in the road and the car bounces any at all. I have found on surface streets I am okay most of the time, but on the highway and higher speeds is where I have scraped mine.

I plan on getting under the car and see if I can get mufflers a little higher.

Make sure to post you pictures.

SSSNAKE04

Established Member
Cool i wanna see those pics??? Im cutting 3/4 of an COIL all the way around...will show you before and after pics when its done...

lukem80

Established Member
I've lowered 5 Cobra's so far. 3/4 coil all the way around looks the best without being a scrape hog. more than 3/4 and it will be a PITA to jack the car up, pull up on regular ramps... etc.

car rides and handles exactly like stock

1/2 Coil cut all the way around (from the buttom) stock ISO's

stock wheels

my car:

Buddy03Coby

Sideways is the Fun way.
Established Member
I purchased hard top springs and cut one full coil off the bottom. Stock rim. 40 profile tire

This is one coil off - both Iso's in front and none in back.
cobra

The front was not low enouph for me so I took the Iso's out of the front. Now I like it alot. May take a 1/8" or little more out of the rear. It rides great. Havent been able to take corners with it yet.
cobra1

Not bad on scrapeing the ground either. Been on some inclines already and no problem.

Front gap. Full coil cut,no Iso. coupe spring
Cobra Front

Rear gap. Full coil cut, no Iso. Coupe spring
Cobra Rear

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread