The Tick - TSB - anyone verify?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Put it this way, If you are driving down the expressway in the left lane and there is a barrier, concrete wall, or something dividing the traffic If you can't hear a VERY noticable TICK TICK TICK you probably don't have it. It is VERY noticable when you are driving along something that reflects the ticking sound to your ears.

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
Put it this way, If you are driving down the expressway in the left lane and there is a barrier, concrete wall, or something dividing the traffic If you can't hear a VERY noticable TICK TICK TICK you probably don't have it. It is VERY noticable when you are driving along something that reflects the ticking sound to your ears.

Yes that is correct. I find it to be VERY noticeable also. I can't imagine anyone missing it if they do this or one of the two steps below.

Coleman I sent you this in e-mail also.

To diagnose:

Two easy ways to check after the car has warmed up to operating temp. Hood closed.

1. Drive next to a wall such as a drive through with the driver's window down. You will hear it if you have it.

2. Kneel down just behind your driver's sideview mirror. You will hear it if you have it.

Last edited:

jshen

Established Member
Build date 09/02

Does this mean my motor/heads are defective? Kinda sounds like Ford used bad part/engineering....This is freeking me out. Now any tick will now sound louder....I thought my clicking noise was normal, like solid lifters on an old Chevy bigblock........:shrug:

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
will there be any long term probelms if we do not get the new head?

I am not an expert (want to be clear about that), but from all the reading and research I have done it sounds to me like there was a bad cast for the driver's side head. It wasn't the only one in use so not every car prior to the production halt has the problem.

The bad cast as far as I understand it might have made some bad oil galleys in the head.

Just speculating but oil starving parts of a 4 valve high power head doesn't sound like the best idea and is leading to some unusual wear in the affected heads.

I'm not taking the chance. I'm also sure that given the amount of knowledgeable people on this board someone will be able to explain exactly what is wrong with some of the heads like mine, and what the possible long term effects are.

I'd say Ford releases TSBs like this for a good reason. It obviously took them long enough, so I'm sure they studied it closely.

Last edited:

coleman

Established Member
i should be in ennis this weekend, maybe someone can tell me (and others like racerat) if i (we) have the tick or not once and for all.

i'd like to hear a car WITH the problem as well...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
My engine ticking has actually gone way :shrug: I was in Houston last weekend. Met up with some Houston area 03 owners "SbcCobra" and 'Evil Cartman". I had the tick when I met them at the hooters on 249/FM1960. Aftewards we went down 290 at a high rate of speed ;-). Afterward we ended up at Scotts house, and my engine tick had completely gone away and it has not comeback! I say good riddance!

slythetove

Down the rabbit hole....
Established Member
Originally posted by 03Sssnake
My engine ticking has actually gone way :shrug: I was in Houston last weekend. Met up with some Houston area 03 owners "SbcCobra" and 'Evil Cartman". I had the tick when I met them at the hooters on 249/FM1960. Aftewards we went down 290 at a high rate of speed ;-). Afterward we ended up at Scotts house, and my engine tick had completely gone away and it has not comeback! I say good riddance!

hahaha You blew it out!!!

:eek: :eek:

Nice work. :thumbsup:

Hunter

Crazy Insane SVT Poster!
Established Member
Originally posted by coleman
i should be in ennis this weekend, maybe someone can tell me (and others like racerat) if i (we) have the tick or not once and for all.

i'd like to hear a car WITH the problem as well...
coleman - When I was at the GTG in Plano at the Mexican restaurant I was talking about my car having the TICK. It still ticks. You can listen to my Timex, I mean Cobra, if you want to.

03&68cobras

Established Member
Following the instructions ya'll gave, I listened again and would say that I do NOT have the tick. I think this is making me paranoid.

03&68cobras

Established Member
Following the instructions ya'll gave, I listened again and would say that I do NOT have the tick. I think this is making me paranoid.

Users who are viewing this thread