"The Stall" Pulley question

INEEDATERMI

Established Member
:shrug:What exactly is this. Im looking in to buying a 03 from a guy that says its common for 03 cobra with upgraded pulley to get what is known as "the stall". I would would really like to know more about it. PLEASE HELP It will determine wether or not I get the car.:shrug:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Totally untrue. There was a stall issue for which Ford issued a TSB. It was a tuning issue. Most aftermarket tunes contain the anti-stall code.
TSB-17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel". Not a big thing to worry about since the new tune takes care of the issue. As do the aftermarket tunes.

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092458

INEEDATERMI

Established Member
Totally untrue. There was a stall issue for which Ford issued a TSB. It was a tuning issue. Most aftermarket tunes contain the anti-stall code.
TSB-17-54-2 DRIVEABILITY - Stall Issue - Referred to as 'Lack of Power on Decel". Not a big thing to worry about since the new tune takes care of the issue. As do the aftermarket tunes.

http://stangshiftergaskets.com/2003_2004faqs.htm#_Toc35092458

So all I have to do is get the car tuned again and thats it.

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
Maybe some people have a Stalling problem even after it's tunned, But it is fixable thru the tune It took my tuner a few times before he got it right.

SicStang03

2SSSlow
Established Member
When I got my first tune I stalled when pulling out for no reason. I turned around and told him what happened.. All he did was pull the chip and do something. Took 3 seconds... Happened maybe once or twice since then. That was a while ago though..

SVTkel

SVTKel
Established Member
Mine stalled while decel once after I installed my lower pulley , 60 lb inj, and BAP. However, I believe the issue was from my tune. Never once had the issue while on the upper pulley.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Maybe some people have a Stalling problem even after it's tunned, But it is fixable thru the tune It took my tuner a few times before he got it right.

Most reputable tuners should have up to date tuning code which will prevent the stall issue.

I would recommend that anyone wondering if their car has a tune that doesn't contain the anti-stall code should double check with their tuner (if you have a custom tune) or have your Ford dealer check it.

We all know, too, that there are other reasons why a Terminator might occasionally stall (intake issue, fuel issue, etc.). But as far as what we call the Stall Issue (on deceleration), there was a time when it was a major issue due to a number of close encounters with disaster. Tons of complaints to Ford did nothing. Then someone contacted the NHTSA (if I remember right) and after they received numerous other complaints they contacted Ford and then Ford finally issued the new computer code. Personally it should have been a recall vs. a TSB since a TSB is only done when requested or when the dealer feels like doing it. So not all Terminators got the fix with the TSB nor have an aftermarket tune. So it is likely that there are still a large number of Terminators on the rode which actually do, or could have at some point, the stall issue. Confused? :lol1: :rolling:

Users who are viewing this thread