The Shelby has ruined my Lightning

BigDan

Established Member
You wouldn't have that feeling in a newer modded turbo diesel pick up.

My mildly modded 3rd gen Cummins with less then 500whp but 1000wtq still throws my hair back like my 585whp 2011 GT500 PP at speeds up to 110mph. Heck I know my truck would of beat my GT500 on the street cuz of its ability to leave under boost in 4wd.

I heard those 6.4L Power Strokes can make 500whp with just a tune and deletes.

Jroc

Established Member
I test drove a modded 09 GT500, and in no way wanted to trade my L for it. Sure a modded GT500 will tear a stock L a new one in acceleration, but my L will tow a boat or car, haul whatever I want, and I can take it off pavement without having to creap along at a tortoises pace. It works just like any othe SCSB 1/2 ton 2wd truck just one that handles very well with a strong and broad motor.

Two different rides. Hell my 500 whp terminator would run away from my stock L with no problem, but that's one of the very few things my Terminator has on my L. If there's one thing that cooler than a fast car it's a fast truck IMO.

Last edited:

USV8PWR

Established Member
I've got everyone here beat. I jump out of my 2013 Cobra and into my 2007 Civic Hybrid.

Now _that_ is some mother f'ing shock. Leaves one speechless in fact.

I see you are offsetting the Shelby with the hybrid? Lol

That's hilarious Farmboy! So the other day I was on the interstate and out of no where this Prius with some sort of sport appearance package gets on the interstate and cuts in front of me. Like ALL Prius drivers, he was doing about 90 and accelerated as fast as he could. So I had to do it. I pulled up beside him, pointed and laughed a minute, dropped a couple of gears and blew him off the road.

USV8PWR

Established Member
Shoot, and I thought the OP was comparing the 13 Shelby to a stock Lightning. If your Lightning has 550+ HP surely it can't feel that far off from the 2013 Shelby.

However, the mechanic who road with me on my car's initial inspection drive did tell me that my car made his feel stock Lightning feel slow. And that was with him just riding in it.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
A few years ago I had a ride in a mid 500 HP L on a ride to a Dyno in Nashua NH. (Built motor, tweaked Heaton) Auto would hit preety hard and it was fast, maybe mot soil your pants fast, but hard to believe you think your L is not a beast.

I do need a ride in a 13 for perspective.

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong the L is fast, no question and I love it but with the Shelby its like a 600 vs 1000 cc bike difference in acceleration, sure the 600 is really fast but go ahead and line up against a liter bike on the highway going 45 and both pin the throttle at the same time and watch how MUCH faster the liter bike pulls

Shoot, and I thought the OP was comparing the 13 Shelby to a stock Lightning. If your Lightning has 550+ HP surely it can't feel that far off from the 2013 Shelby.

However, the mechanic who road with me on my car's initial inspection drive did tell me that my car made his feel stock Lightning feel slow. And that was with him just riding in it.

Like I just said above it is fast but it's funny, for example in the L cruising around in third (45 mph ) when you floor it, she drops into second and you hear this real loud suction of air for a split second then the exhaust straight explodes (very loud) as you get yanked back in the seat and the truck takes off.

In the Shelby ill be cruising around in third (45 mph) give her like 1/2 throttle for 1 sec and I'm doing like 80 and don't know it. The power is so smooth and constant. I have only been WOT for about 2-3 seconds so far but she doesn't stop pulling. Everyone I have taken for a ride has said Ok Ok Ok Ok!!!!! Before I got out of 2nd gear :)

Last edited:

Jroc

Established Member
I will say this a L is a shitty highway cruiser.

Cruising around at 80 MPH at over 2,500 RPM's in a vehicle that redlines at 5,250 RPM's gets old really quick and gas mileage goes to shit, where you're turning what 1,500 or so RPM's in a new GT500 it's likely a comfortable highway cruiser. I bet a new GT500 would be a fun car on the Autoban.

Last edited:

scampismith

Crazy George
Established Member
I just took my L out to get the tires rotating and the fluids moving around . I have not driven it since I bought the Shelby, well probably haven't driven it in about 2 months. I hate to say it but everytime I hit the gas I couldn't help but think WTF is that it? It's definetly fast but compared to the Shelby its like I was running on 6 spark plugs. I used to love the rush I got from my L but now its just not there.Then when I start thinking about the Shelby I still want more power even though I can't even use all the available power in her as it is......I think I've got a problem.

Come on that Lightning should be running in the 10's with the mods you have listed which the Shelby is nowhere near that in stock form. I am l allways looking for nice Ligthtning's if you are ready to get rid of it. I had a lot more fun with my Lightning than I am having with my Shelby. I have won close to 200 trophies with the lightning including 2005 New England Dragway Fun Ford Week end top truck and best in class. I could nail a lot more people with the Lightning than the Shelby. Don't get me wrong I like the Shelby but I think the Lightning's are just as much fun.

72MachOne99GT

Established Member
Premium Member
I know this is mostly a performance oriented discussion, but the friendliness/comfort/ergonomics of the '13 is light years ahead of my '99 GT as well.

My GT just feels sloppy. Clutch is sloppy, shifter is long and sloppy (giggity), everything feels cheaper (not in the price way).

I've always wanted a '70 fastback and a fox. The rawness of an older carmhas always appealed to me,'but after the spoiling the Shelby does, I'm not sure I'd enjoy a rougher car as much as I previously expected.

One thing the 99 does do better revolves around the molestation my checkbook takes every month and 6 months.

SVTKen

Established Member
I've got a solution to all of the problems. Just drive the Shelby and don't drive the other cars. Why would anyone even want to anyway unless you have something faster and better looking? My Shelby will be my one and only car and I will drive it daily, rain or shine. This is the way Mr. Shelby .RIP. would want it. Don't just save it for special occassions and perfect weather. Enjoy it!

Last edited:

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Come on that Lightning should be running in the 10's with the mods you have listed which the Shelby is nowhere near that in stock form. I am l allways looking for nice Ligthtning's if you are ready to get rid of it. I had a lot more fun with my Lightning than I am having with my Shelby. I have won close to 200 trophies with the lightning including 2005 New England Dragway Fun Ford Week end top truck and best in class. I could nail a lot more people with the Lightning than the Shelby. Don't get me wrong I like the Shelby but I think the Lightning's are just as much fun.

Probably more in the 11's especially with me driving it :rollseyes I do love my Lightning and I definitely don't want to sell it, but I will tell you if one HAD to go there would be no question I'd keep the Shelby. Maybe I just need to drive it a little more. I only put about 500-550 miles on the L in a year and get crap from my mechanic every year when I bring her in for inspection. LMAO I think the oil is still purple when they have to switch it out :nonono: I have already put just under 400 miles on the Shelby in under a month which I know isn't a lot but its unheard of looking at how I was driving the truck. I don't have my title handy but I'm pretty sure when I bought it in 2007 it had 42,xxx miles on the odometer (10,xxx on the motor and 6,xxx on the blower) As she sits right now she has 46,7xx

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
I was considering why my 03 Cobra with about the same HP as an 13 GT is slower.
Besides not TC, Crappy shifter, etc
I looked at my old dymo sheet.

Torque is the answer. My peak hp is well peaky, Not that I do not have a broad torque curve, it is just broard above 500 Ft-Lbs, but a 13 has a torque curve at least +50 lbs more thru the whole range. This makes a big difference in what gets to the rear wheels between 3000-5500 RPM.

5.0 guy

Established Member
I had the same problem last week with my Viper Srt-10, I had an hour and a half ride to work so I decided to drive it, It just felt like a dog all the way there, I remember the day it rolled out of the showroom and it felt really fast. The Shelby is much more in command at all speeds but the SRT did finally remind me of its power when I hit the freeway after an hour or so. The Viper has to revved to higher RPMs to get it true power where the GT500 shows it at all speeds and RPMs. Cheers to Ford and Shelby as this is one great car!

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
Don't worry, I have the solution for your problems! Give me the '13 GT500 so you don't have to worry about getting used to all that power. You will eventually be back to normal after the GT500 is out of your site for 6 to 8 months. ;-)

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Don't worry, I have the solution for your problems! Give me the '13 GT500 so you don't have to worry about getting used to all that power. You will eventually be back to normal after the GT500 is out of your site for 6 to 8 months. ;-)

Nice try! That's not happening lmao. If I had the money I would buy another '13 GT500 right now without hesitation

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
You can give me your L ! I go from my 2011 Shelby with mods in sigs...probably @ 650+ @ the wheels, to my.................4 banger Ford Ranger......Ok.....so man don't complain !

Users who are viewing this thread