The Road to a Reliable, solid handling under 13 second Car?

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
Good evening folks. Please take 2 minutes to read through this, thank-you.I have been planning nitrous for 4 years. I have obtained all the accessories, purge kit, bottle opener, bottle heater, window switch, fuel shut off and possibly a wideband. It's a Zex set up, 75 shot.

My Goal- A reliable summer ride that handles well( can autocross) and can surprise a number of bigger name or more costly cars at the stoplights. It needs to run under 13 seconds in 1/4 mile consistently without running a drag radial if possible.

I am paying to have it installed. Nitrous seems inexpensive, but when you obtain all the goodies, pay for the refills and install it's not so cheap. And then there's the risk.

As I get closer I am concerned that after spending all the time and $ of a nitrous backfire. I still have the IMRC's and they "seem" to working properly but you never no without pulling of the intake. I do not have the time or money to do the IMRC deletes to.

If I did not install the kit I would spend the $1500( includes installation costs) on making the car faster in other ways, namely IMRC deletes, short runner intake, upgraded coils/wires, non catted bassani x pipe and a Dyno tune. Open to other ideas that I may be missing.

I already have 4;56 Gears a 6sp and most of the boltons excluding long tubes and electric water pump ( this includes subframes and a good suspension package)

I would be very interested in the feedback of those that have built this great community and have spent a good deal of time modifying their SN95 Cobra's.

Discussion please. This is 4 years hardcore saving and I would like to make the decision that best supports my stated goal. Thanks in advance.

ZeroDCX

Established Member
Honestly, you're going to get tired of hearing this. But these cars aren't the greatest price per naturally aspirated horsepower. You're going to have to spend some money. A coyote swap or forced induction will easily get you to your goals. There are complete vortech kits for sale right now for less than $2000. Throw in a tune and you're running, at the very least, mid/high 12s 1/4 mile. Lower times if you can actually drive. If going the force induction route, try to stay below 450 rwhp. A non-intercooled vortech kit at 8psi will easily put you in the 400 rwhp range, well north of the stock 260 rwhp numbers. On3performance turbo kits are another option, but they have extra necessitated parts required prior to install (k-member + a-arms, oil cooler removal, etc).

Best advice I can give it to keep saving and do a lot of research to make an informed decision.

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
Thanks Guys, I have probably over researched to be honest. I have most of the components from the Grip Box. My budget including install is about 1800 max, so no Coyote swap or supercharger for me.

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
As sweet as that would be, there is no way I could swing that. Maybe a Mach 1 engine, My engine worth- 3K, $1500 on top. Re and re costs 2k, Coyote Motor 8k- deficit $5500

ZeroDCX

Established Member
12's can be done with full bolt ons, tires, suspension and great driving. Weight reduction helps too. I believe NVRL8TE ran 12's with just a modified exhaust (x-pipe & mufflers) and great driving.

https://www.svtperformance.com/forums/threads/mystic-96-cobra-times.893821/page-4

But, as you know, money is a necessity for increased performance.

What 1/4 times are you running with your mods currently?

Last edited:

Bishop03

4v+DOHC=Big Power
Established Member
Yes it's all about the almighty $ Good link up top, if you know of any others that would be cool. I
It ran a 13.4 before the T-56 trans, upper and lowers control arms and bushings, cold air intake, alum flywheel and driveshaft and proper tune. I am hoping it would be close to 13 now.

Users who are viewing this thread