The "Plan"....

01Cobra896

Established Member
Well, I am not looking for a peak hp number as I am not a drag racer. I want a good average that I can use on the road course and auto-x. Tell me what you guy think of this combo.

Stock shortblock
full port/polish 01 Cobra heads
FR500 cams
ModMax valvesprings
stock valves and valvetrain
BBK long tubes w/catted x-pipe
Naz-ty ported lower intake
PHP intake spacer
MMR oil pump
new mechanical water pump
all new timing chains, guides, gears
billet trigger wheel
MMR 7 quart oil pan
MMR windage tray
39lb Terminator injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
JLT CAI

I currently have the lower intake, PHP spacer, and CAI installed. Most everything else has been acquired or is inwork. I am running 4.30 gears, Spec Stage 3+ with the lightweight option and a Terminator flywheel. I will be degreeing the cams in. I would like to get the shortblock freshened up or BB but it is very expensive to do that here in Germany. That will have to wait until I go back to the US. All imput is welcome. Let me know.

99COBRADROPTOP

Established Member
Germany, hows the gas prices over there with a V8, i know england is around 9 a gallon. I think i read somewhere that the 99/01 cobras already have some sort of windage tray, but then again, im not an expert

elyrain

Established Member
are you buying the cams used? Because they come with everything except the lifters, valves, springs, seals, ect.

SlowSVT

Established Member
You might want to do some research on the MMR oil pump. There have been sevral failures on those pump gears with predictable results. I have never heard of the stock gear failing in a street car.

Canton makes a nice road race pan and windage tray

01Cobra896

Established Member
I am in the military stationed over here. I mostly buy my gas on base. Off base, very expensive.

Yeah, I am getting the cams used. I have the ModMax valvesprings and associated parts. Going to get new followers and lifters.

Did the research on the MMR pump. From what I have read, the newer ones have been improved. This is one of the newer ones.

Been told to possibly look for different cams. I am looking for a broad hp and tq curve. I want good average power, not peak. Anyone got some recommendations and can back them up?

wojowojo16

Established Member
if you want to road race an autocross I'd spend the money trying to lighten your car instead of making more power...

with the mods you describe you aren't going to make THAT much more power, I think you'll have better results getting 150-200 pounds out of your car. That may be a bit of a stretch but you get what I'm saying...

a full tubular front end, coilovers, some nice racing seats, lightweight wheels, etc...well you get the point.

01Cobra896

Established Member
Yeah, I agree wojo, dropping weight will help immensly. That will be the next "evolution" of my car. Right now I have almost got everything I need for the power, then I will get the rest of the car lightened as much as I can. Very sticky tires are part of the plan also.

Last edited:

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
I suggest cams that have no more than 220 [email protected], this will ensure that you keep the power down low (maybe even pick some up) but yet make good power up top. With the stock intake runner length the peak will be kept at roughly 6300 but the mid range should increase and the power after peak will not drop off as fast.

Now for the most important cam spec, the lobe centers (LC). The stock intake runner length has one intake LC that works best, 114. With the intake LC being set, you can only work with the exhaust cam LC and to get he intake charge moving in the right direction as soon as possible you will need some overlap. To get the overlap needed you will have to set it at an LC of 110-109.

Degreeing cams is a PITA. You can either get the modcamponents adjsutable gears or you can remove or grind down the keyways from the stock gears. If you use the second method you may want to shim the keys to prevent slippage and also use ARP bolts. Either way will work but be prepared to spend a few hours degreeing.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Well, I am not looking for a peak hp number as I am not a drag racer. I want a good average that I can use on the road course and auto-x. Tell me what you guy think of this combo.

Stock shortblock
full port/polish 01 Cobra heads
FR500 cams
ModMax valvesprings
stock valves and valvetrain
BBK long tubes w/catted x-pipe
Naz-ty ported lower intake
PHP intake spacer
MMR oil pump stock oil pump works just fine
new mechanical water pump
all new timing chains, guides, gears inspect your existing ones before speding the money, unless you have high mileage
billet trigger wheel
MMR 7 quart oil pan I like my Canton
MMR windage tray
39lb Terminator injectors
90mm Lightning MAF
JLT CAI

I currently have the lower intake, PHP spacer, and CAI installed. Most everything else has been acquired or is inwork. I am running 4.30 gears, Spec Stage 3+ with the lightweight option and a Terminator flywheel. I will be degreeing the cams in. I would like to get the shortblock freshened up or BB but it is very expensive to do that here in Germany. That will have to wait until I go back to the US. All imput is welcome. Let me know.

Is anything wrong with your current engine? For the track, you need to concentrate on seat time, brakes, tires, suspension and then power mods in that order (IMO).

Users who are viewing this thread