***The Official Nitrous Thread***

Rwick7

Established Member
Learn me some stuff boys:-D

I've done searches...but the info is not all in one place...so let's do it

wet vs. dry?

dyno number with mods, before and after?

do's and dont's?

track times?

options with different kits?

any help is greatly appreciated...let's keep the thread on track also

Juiced-03

Established Member
Well, I wouldnt run a wet kit on any car in my opinion. Some people love them, but you never know when your intake (or supercharger!!) is going to blow through your hood. I think a dry kit is perfect if all the proper fuel precautions are addressed. I would not run more than a 50 shot on this car, if I wanted that kind of power I would save for a Kenne Bell. But a 25-50 shot is great for the cooling effect it will have on the Heaton. I have a kit similar to the Compucar nitrous in a bag setup. I made it myself with a gym bag, bottle, nitrous line, solenoid, jet and nozzle. I have not used it yet because I have not yet had my car dynoed with my other mods. I want to be sure my chip is safe to use before I spray. Some people say get a flip chip, but I dont think will be needed if the single program chip is tuned on the rich side. Plus the MAF should compensate for that small of a shot. Hotrodharry had great results with his kit. I have read everyone of his posts so hopefully he is not tired of these threads and chimes in here LOL. I know a couple others on here have the same kit too and love it. I have also heard others with wet kits but those scare the shit out of me. I have ran dry kits on 3 cars now with no problems at all. I am sure some have ran wet kits with no probs either but with as small a shot as I will be running, a wet kit puddling is not worth the risk to me. I would definitely get a good set of gauges with the spray. Run the best fuel you can find. Have it dyno checked before you go to the track or street. A good gap in the plugs should be used also. Dont spray below 3000 rpm's especially with a wet kit (actually 3500 is the best but 3000 being the minimum). A full throttle and window switch may be good to have.

Like I said, if you want bigger results than a 50 shot can give, dont be cheap-just buy the Kenne Bell! No offense to the guys running a bigger shot, but I just dont want to be refilling the bottle all the time and being worried about the fuel and tuning. Hope I helped contribute to this thread

grnenvy

Established Member
I agree with Juice-03 I like the dry systems due to there simplicity. If you have a safe tune on the car you can run a 35 shot on it. The car won't go lean with the nitrous it will just cool the inlet temputures down and that is a good thing. Just to be safe due to the possibility of low octane gas I think that I would run some torco unleaded accelerator in the tank when running the juice. That should put you up over 100 octane and the car will be nice and safe, no ping. The only thing that I'm not sure about is if you can run that shot through the meter or should you just put it behind. The cold shot on the hot wire may be bad . I know that if your running a pro-m you can juice through the meter because the meter doesn't have that hot wire hanging down into the air stream. Someone please chime in. If you want to run more I would step up the injector size (50s) and run another tune with a flip chip just for the giggle gas . Jd's would be a good place for the right tune he has auto-logic setups with seperate tunes for different combo's.

Last edited:

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
I agree too with the above 2 replys. Been there done it..and it was simple and works perfect!

rpurdy3523

Established Member
I would just like to know what the options are when it comes to our cars. The last time I used nitrous was on a 351 Cleveland and that was a plate system made by NOS. Who makes a good nitrous kit for the 03 or more importantly, who makes the best one? I would just like a small shot (50 to 100) and lord knows the bottom end of these engines should handle it no problem.

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Why even spend the money for a 25 -50 shot? You want even feel it and it just adds some complexity to the car. I do understand about cooling the intake charge, but you might as well get some power so I say at least a 75 and up shot. The motor is built,and has low compression so it can handle the extra power. It is probably safer to spray a cool 100 shot than to add 6 lb's of hot boost.

I like the dry system on our cars because the fuel would have to travel through the blower on a wet system(unless it was plumbed with a fogger of some sort),which I do not like. Another positive is you don't have to worry about the fuel solenoid opening or getting thrash in it and gettings stuck. If the nitrous solenoid does not open you'll just be rich but no harm to the engine.

That being said, chalk up another dry fan.

Just a opinion,
Mike

trey193

Established Member
Randy my good friend just put a 50 shot of Compucar (WET) on his this past weekend, his other mods are the same as mine, he said the car is a different car just on 50 , I on the other hand have a NOS 5115 Dry kit that once I get my car ironed out on the HEATON I will install. I'll let you know how his car does , we are all going to the track this Tuesday, he is hoping for mph's in the high 120's, it goes 121 on the blower! Theres no clear winner in WET vs Dry they both have their pros and cons!

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
I have the Wet Kit on my car. I havent used it since the Dyno Day & dont plan on running it around the streets either.

Think ud seen my thread for the Nitrous on the Blower Bistro, were id posted up before & after with a 30 shot of Nitrous & 18 shot of Fuel.

Problem with Wet Kits & this is why HotRodHarry & Dana do not like it, from what i believe.

Nitrous & Gas will not mix well. So u have the potential problem of 1 cylender getting more nitrous & 1 cylender getting more gas. Sure on the Dynojet & with a Wide Band 02 sensor it wont show readings from the other bank of the engine....just 1 side of the bank & the Wide Band 02 Readings are not from each Exhaust Port.

All my plugs look just fine with out any melted leads or insulators busted....but that problem remains with the Wet Kit.

As for not running a 50 shot or over, hum. Id say its all on the tune bro. Seen a dude that goes to the track every other week & uses the bottle with a 60 shot dry.

Well good luck :thumbsup: Making a decision on what to do or not to do was really difficult for me :bash: ... but im happy with mine ;-)

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Twinturbo Ranger
Why even spend the money for a 25 -50 shot? You want even feel it and it just adds some complexity to the car. I do understand about cooling the intake charge, but you might as well get some power so I say at least a 75 and up shot. The motor is built,and has low compression so it can handle the extra power. It is probably safer to spray a cool 100 shot than to add 6 lb's of hot boost.

I like the dry system on our cars because the fuel would have to travel through the blower on a wet system(unless it was plumbed with a fogger of some sort),which I do not like. Another positive is you don't have to worry about the fuel solenoid opening or getting thrash in it and gettings stuck. If the nitrous solenoid does not open you'll just be rich but no harm to the engine.

That being said, chalk up another dry fan.

Just a opinion,

Mike
Id beg to differ on that note.
Before & After with Nitrous Wet Kit.
30 SHOT OF NITROUS & 18 SHOT OF FUEL.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=51554

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
What does the big letters mean?

Nevermind slow dail up I didn't see it all till after I posted.

Anyway it adds up to a 50 shot if you ask me. 45 rwhp plus 15 % through the driveline equals 52 hp, and it's a WET shot not a dry shot. There is a difference.

Good results on your car though!!

Thanks Mike

Last edited:

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
Please see my edited post above. My dailup is slow. Anyway I agree with a WET 50 shot being different,but my original post was about dry shots because that is what they were talking about above me.

Thanks Mike

Poisonous Mods

little moddie
Established Member
Originally posted by Twinturbo Ranger
Please see my edited post above. My dailup is slow. Anyway I agree with a WET 50 shot being different,but my original post was about dry shots because that is what they were talking about above me.

Thanks Mike

Mike my bad. :bash: Sorry i dont have any exp. with the dry kit so i cannot say if it will give u the punch either :eek:

Sorry :thumbsup:

Twinturbo Ranger

Established Member
No problem.:D

We actually did a dry shot on a friends LS1 Camaro. It actaully picked up a 10th and a couple mph. It was a 50 hp dry kit, but I didn't see the point. A 50 dry may work better with a blower,but with a dry I would at least do a 75 shot. Again that is just a opinion.

Thanks Mike

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
With the blowers on the Cobra's a small dry shot that is normally say a 40 shot really is almost an 80 shot and so on. I have seen an 100 shot put almost 200 rwh with an 03 Cobra putting out 589 rwh and 665 tq without the small shot(all motor and Eaton). A small dry shot really works incredible on these cars. And talk about torque on the supercharged Cobra's. The torque goes up crazy!!! Over 800 tq with the 100 shot.

My buddy Nitrous Pete's old car.
Eaton Blower - 589RWHP & 665TQ
Eaton Blower w/nitrous - 788RWHP

So my rule of thumb with the dry shot on our cars. Just double the rated horse on them.

Harry
www.HotRodHarrys.com
Modular Fords Mach 1 Forum Moderator

Last edited:

wicked03snake

Established Member
the intake charge cools so much with the juice that it turns the inefficient eaton into a cooler blower that it makes the 30 shot to at least a 50. IMHO a 50 shot dry will do it because it is not too much for the computer to compensate for and it will cool the charge for more power, plus the nitrous effect for about 80-90 more hp to the wheels

davidmax

Established Member
Same with my turbo WRX picked up 105 rrwhp from a 60 HP dry shot.The nitrous works wonders with larger than factory blowers on 2.0 litre motors.You can probably multiply a Forced air car by 1.6-1.8 specially on a turbo car.Dave Smilovic
PS:Go dry,Dave

Rwick7

Established Member
Thanks a ton guys, this is exaclty what I was hoping for when I started this thread. Anyone have any dry kit 50 shot dyno sheet on a basic pulley and exhaust car...and more importantly some trap speeds

Users who are viewing this thread