The new tow/work pig

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
\It wasnt exactly what I was looking for, but I think it will fit the bill nicely. I bought it from a member on another forum for a good price, and have already gotten the mod stuff started. Just gonna put all this out here, and I'll update this thread along the way to show the progress of the truck as it takes shape. It's an early 99 F350 SRW 4x2 - was completely stock, save for a K&N :shrug: with 226K on the clock. As of today, it has over 228, and thats only been a few weeks, haha.

Pics:
From right before I got it
4371369763_3701c87863_o.jpg

From this weekend
4433550565_9c73a96518.jpg

4433521015_7a6865a4f6.jpg

4434297424_80d452805d.jpg

4434300226_140285ae58.jpg

4434302190_9284bd4c66.jpg

4433539015_11684f7393.jpg

Here are the plans: (in no certain order)
Drop, exhaust, chip, HD headlights, Gauges, some custom paint, etc.

Got 20.2 today on an all hwy trip. Learning that its not necessary to drive 80 mph everywhere we go, lol.

What do you guys think? Anything else I should add/change?

Thanks!
-Michael

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
Thanks guys...

The HD headlights are gonna be on in the future, but it might have the older grille/bumpers for now, as i found a '00 XL that I'm robbing parts off of at the JY. Guess we'll see how things go, lol.

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
Why would you add a lift? Why would you not?

I just prefer a lowered truck. I don't plan on pulling 40,000 lb loads, so me dropping it just a little isnt giong to hurt much. It will make it easier for me to get in/out of (i'm short), as well as get into my toolbox. It will also help on MPG, from what I'm reading.

I dunno if I'll ever make it, but I'm setting an MPG goal of 24-25. Thats where my modding will be focused, instead of smoke/power.

Thanks guys for the comments, and look for more pics/info in the future!

straightliner1

Established Member
I just prefer a lowered truck. I don't plan on pulling 40,000 lb loads, so me dropping it just a little isnt giong to hurt much. It will make it easier for me to get in/out of (i'm short), as well as get into my toolbox.

Gotcha! Just don't overdo it since you're just putting the frame closer to the bumpstops. :)

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
\It wasnt exactly what I was looking for, but I think it will fit the bill nicely. I bought it from a member on another forum for a good price, and have already gotten the mod stuff started. Just gonna put all this out here, and I'll update this thread along the way to show the progress of the truck as it takes shape. It's an early 99 F350 SRW 4x2 - was completely stock, save for a K&N :shrug: with 226K on the clock. As of today, it has over 228, and thats only been a few weeks, haha.

4434302190_9284bd4c66.jpg

In that one photo, from that angle, it looks like you've got some big meats at the rear. :lol1:

Pretty nice truck. Best of luck with it. And with all that mileage you might want to restrict how much you put into it. Maybe put it towards another vehicle down the road. JMO.

A5295

Four Eyed
Established Member
No worries.. It wont see a massive drop, but enough to let my vertically-challenged self reach into the toolbox without having ot climb up in the bed.

Cobrabob, it does have a lot of miles, which is part of the reason my modlist wont be all that long, but I've been reading about many 300k+ trucks that are still running strong. I'll probably keep this old truck for a while, and maybe get a lower-mileage one later down the road, after I graduate college, and get a real job.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Why would you add a lift? Why would you not?

I just prefer a lowered truck. I don't plan on pulling 40,000 lb loads, so me dropping it just a little isnt giong to hurt much. It will make it easier for me to get in/out of (i'm short), as well as get into my toolbox. It will also help on MPG, from what I'm reading.

I dunno if I'll ever make it, but I'm setting an MPG goal of 24-25. Thats where my modding will be focused, instead of smoke/power.

Thanks guys for the comments, and look for more pics/info in the future!

24 isnt hard to get...i routinely get 21-22 on the interstate at 65-70 with my dodge with a Smarty and on 35" toyos (quad cab 4x4).

txbull

Established Member
dont forget the prerequisite 10" dual chrome stacks coming through the front of the bed

i kid i kid!!!!

Phiber Optik

Established Member
Lose the K&N! if you read on the powerstroke forums it doesn't seal to the stock airbox very well and has caused many dusted turbo's, I would take the intake plenum off and take a close look at the impeller blades for chips.

Do a napa DIY filter conversion, it's about $50, massive filtering area and better filtration then the K&N.

You didn't say if it's auto or 6spd, but I would guess auto so; get a valve body for the trans, I put a Factory Tech valve body in mine, works great, just make sure you let your tuner know you have one so they don't jack up the line pressure also. The other weak link in a 4r100 is the torque convertor, might want to think about swapping that out because if it goes it will take the rest of the trans with it.

Do you know if it's an early 99 or a late 99? either way you will probably have a forged rod motor which is highly desirable for over 400rwhp applications.

There are a lot of cheap mods that can be done to the 7.3L and they are very reliable for the most part. best bang for your buck will be a custom tuned chip, make sure you get the gauges first, mainly the EGT so you can make sure you're not about to melt the pistons, but as long as you have a good intake (DIY) and a free flowing exhaust (4") you should have no problems keeping the temps under 1250*

Any questions let me know, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction ;)

Users who are viewing this thread