The new name for 99-01 Cobras (rant)

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Aww man! Your cars have amber turn signals? I feel ripped. :( Maybe I'll get a sequential kit to be different.

I had no idea that there was such a problem for the 99-01's. Those cars rock! Maybe more stuff will become available in time. :shrug:

bobbystang

Hsssssss
Established Member
You guys all have said some great thing about our cars, you all need to understand that we have great cars and i'm sure like many when you see an 03 cobra it makes you kinda want it, but then i look at my beauty and i dont think i could get rid of it ever. yah we do get ripped sometimes on parts from major manufacturers(KB) but go with the best in my opinion vortech which is what ill be doing soon or even procharger is great or custom turbo maybe which would be sick. So dont hate on your car appreciate it. Remember there are people out there that cant even afford these great cars appreciate that you got one. SVT for life. Cheers to that:beer:

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Originally posted by railroad
If you want to get the K B for the 99 and 01, you have about 7 days left to get your check to K B. This is one of the supposedly, more desired power adders for these models. You can find threads on most of the mustang, cobra sites that will answer any questions. This may be a now or never.

I was the one who got the KB deal to happen. My check was the first one in. As for the MUSTANG on the rear bumper, I swapped that out in 01 for a COBRA rear (I don't drive a GT, I drive a cobra). I don't want anyone to get the impression that I don't like my car, I will never sell her. All the stories you hear from guys who owned a vintage muscle car when they are young... What do they always say, "man I wish I hadn't sold that car" And so I won't. I plan to keep her around forever, and when the 06 cobras come out, she will have a younger sister. :lol:

My main point is that everything that came stock on our cars has been improved upon or given to GTs and V6s.

Also since it really looks like we are not going to get the KB kit, I will have them do my car at KB when I move out there. By then I will be making enough money to do it custom. Unless of course I can buy one of those DOHC V10's ;-)

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
a question for the starter of this thread...did you know that in 96, 97 and 98 the cobra's had 4.6 4v's?

Jerrod

Established Member
When I started to read this thread I was feeling a little down about things that were mentioned but as I read on I became that proud owner I once was before being jaded by some in this forum. A few things do irk me about the aftermarket but I love my car and have a new found respect. Like said above, I get a ton of ooo's and ahh's when I open the hood. That 4.6 monster looks AWESOME!!!!!

Everyone is also looking for and bitching about the lack of grunt down low, as I have been, but I again found the answer to my woes in this forum. Let's forget the KB issue and use the hand that was dealt. The 4.6 is just a different engine than all of us are used to. It's not a 5.0. The RPM's are the key. There's nothing wrong with making crazy captain insano power up top and that, my friends, is exactly what I'll do. I love my car and now...............IT'S GO TIME!!!!!:burnout:

Jerrod

Established Member
Oh yeah, thanks to those '03 owners that stepped in and gave some compliments. It's appreciated and helps everyone stick together.

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Originally posted by Snake Eyes
Of course... who doesn't know that? Why?

I think he was trying to make a point, imagine how some 96 and 98 owners felt when the 99s came out with IRS, 320 HP, no IMRCs, and a new body style.
I like the 96 and 98s but if I had just bought a new 98, I dunno how I would've felt once the 99s started hitting the market. Atleast Ford/SVT is trying to improve on the car, but somethings make me wonder WTF they were thinking. Especially when they ditched the amber tail lights.
HEY FORD, IF YOU'RE LISTENING WE WANT THE AMBER TAILS BACK ON THE '03 AND UP COBRA. :cuss: :fm:

Last edited:

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Of course... who doesn't know that? Why?

I didn't! Honestly, ever since I got rid of my 86 LX 5.0 for my last car (Z28) I've lost track of Ford. I'm trying to pick up information as I go though. Do you guys know of a site that lists Cobra specs by year?

Oh, and for the record, the first Cobra that rolled off the assembly line is every bit a Cobra that the new ones are. I'd take any of your guys' cars in a heartbeat. :beer:

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by 99COBRA2881
I think he was trying to make a point, imagine how some 96 and 98 owners felt when the 99s came out with IRS, 320 HP, no IMRCs, and a new body style.
I like the 96 and 98s but if I had just bought a new 98, I dunno how I would've felt once the 99s started hitting the market. Atleast Ford/SVT is trying to improve on the car, but somethings make me wonder WTF they were thinking. Especially when they ditched the amber tail lights.
HEY FORD, IF YOU'RE LISTENING WE WANT THE AMBER TAILS BACK ON THE '03 AND UP COBRA. :cuss: :fm:

yeah thats what i was trying to do

Snake Eyes

Established Member
There are tons of sites with each years spec's. I would go straight to the sources www.svt.ford.com. It is in the archive portion.

I know the 96-98 guys may feel left out but they have tons of aftermarket support because of the number that were made. I am not trying to start anything here I just wanted to vent.

99E.GreenCobra

Established Member
This was some rant, a pretty powerful one too, since it motivated me to register to this forum so I could jump in. I fell in love with the 99 Cobra as soon as I saw it and in August 2000 got my E Green beauty with 12000 mi on it. I have felt what some of us have felt especially since the 03's seem to be worshipped at times but thats OK they are beautiful and innovative. As was said before the 99's are unique clear glass headlights and a Mustang bumper, a great sleeper look. Evertime someone asks if it's an 03, I become happy because that means it looks pretty new. But the next time a kid (I'm 54) asks where's the supercharger , I'm going to say: "WHAT, IT WAS THERE A MINUTE A GO!!!" Oh well, have a great day and enjoy your Cobra, no matter what year it is.

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
There are tons of sites with each years spec's. I would go straight to the sources www.svt.ford.com. It is in the archive portion.

I know the 96-98 guys may feel left out but they have tons of aftermarket support because of the number that were made. I am not trying to start anything here I just wanted to vent.

i wasnt either but there is no more parts for the 96-98 then the 99 and 01, im with you though, everything on this site is 03 cobra, most people probably dont even know they made cobra's before the 03, all the aftermarket is going for the 03

SVTHorsnake

Banned
Originally posted by 99E.GreenCobra
This was some rant, a pretty powerful one too, since it motivated me to register to this forum so I could jump in. I fell in love with the 99 Cobra as soon as I saw it and in August 2000 got my E Green beauty with 12000 mi on it. I have felt what some of us have felt especially since the 03's seem to be worshipped at times but thats OK they are beautiful and innovative. As was said before the 99's are unique clear glass headlights and a Mustang bumper, a great sleeper look. Evertime someone asks if it's an 03, I become happy because that means it looks pretty new. But the next time a kid (I'm 54) asks where's the supercharger , I'm going to say: "WHAT, IT WAS THERE A MINUTE A GO!!!" Oh well, have a great day and enjoy your Cobra, no matter what year it is.

1st post for you I see... welcome!:beer:

bouncer18

Established Member
Everyone is always gonna be sad once a new car comes out thats bigger and better.. we cried cause of the 03's.. 03 drivers will cry cause of the 06's.. etc...

I agree tho.. this site does tend to lean more towards the Terminators... but with due time that will change to 06's and so forth.

btw.. anyone know where we can get cams from other then Sean Hyland and Ford? (had to throw it in since so many people are into this post)

Taz

Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobrancali
... there is no more parts for the 96-98 then the 99 and 01...

Been parts shopping lately? Here are just three that people have been bitching about lately on this very forum. I'm not going to comment on the relative merits of any of them, just pointing out that they're available for '96-'98 Cobras, but not for '99/'01's.

C&L Trueflow inlet pipe - check out the list...

http://www.cnlperformance.com/inlet.html

Accufab Cobra TB - '96-'98 only...

http://www.accufabracing.com/throttle_bodies.htm#CobraTB

And, of course, the current poster child - the KB kit...

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/mustang-cobra46/mustangcobra46.htm

There are plenty of others.

T-

98cobrancali

the mustang man
Established Member
Originally posted by Taz
Been parts shopping lately? Here are just three that people have been bitching about lately on this very forum. I'm not going to comment on the relative merits of any of them, just pointing out that they're available for '96-'98 Cobras, but not for '99/'01's.

C&L Trueflow inlet pipe - check out the list...

http://www.cnlperformance.com/inlet.html

Accufab Cobra TB - '96-'98 only...

http://www.accufabracing.com/throttle_bodies.htm#CobraTB

And, of course, the current poster child - the KB kit...

http://www.kennebell.net/superchargers/ford/mustang-cobra46/mustangcobra46.htm

There are plenty of others.

T-

why does it have to be kenne bell? cause the 03??

Taz

Established Member
Originally posted by 98cobrancali
why does it have to be kenne bell? cause the 03??

No. It doesn't have to be KB. I'd personally prefer KB because of their experience with positive displacement superchargers, but I'd consider another company's New Edge Cobra twin-screw kit. Care to recommend one?

Please don't bother trying to persuade me that I really ought to be going with a centri. That's not the direction I want to take the car.

T-

im glad you brought up this thread......99 and 01 cobra's were forgotten, i mean i hate how all of ya got screwed with the v6 hood thing and the gt rims......but just remember that you have a COBRA:rockon: :rockon: .....we are all lucky and fortunate we get to drive these awesome cars, i get compliments all the time from ppl on how my car looks, especially the engine:).....cobra's are unique and no one can take that away from all of us owners, i mean hell ppl who see t/a ram airs dont know wtf it is, looks like a regular t/a with a hood job, our cars are more special and exclusive......im glad i own a cobra:)

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
Don't forget... you guys were all enjoying your Cobras for 2-4 years while I was still driving a piece of junk ;)

Users who are viewing this thread