The Minneapolis Police Choke an Unarmed Handcuffed Black Man to Death

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
The protesting continues because the killing is the result of systems and institutions that condone and promote these things. A few years ago, he probably wouldnt have been charged. Heck, if there wasnt a bystander video, guy probably wouldnt have been charged. So the fact that he was charged is a start. But there are many problems still to be addressed. For example, the officer who committed the murder had eighteen (18!!!!!) internal affairs complaints in his record. This is such a common thing with these sorts of killings. The officer being charged is the starting line, not the finishing line.
Dude.

Floyd died because he was high on fentanyl, had advanced heart disease, resisted arrest and died from heart failure.

Where is his own personal agency to protecting his own life?

Yes, the optics are absolutely appalling on how the police handled the situation, but again, where is Floyd's own agency and responsibility for taking care of his own life?

Why should a store owner in LA get his head bashed in because a convicted gang banger, high on drugs got in a fight with four cops and lost halfway across the country?

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I think some still want the other 3 officers charged as well.
All 4 should rot in prison.

1 is a murderer and the other 3 are accomplices.

I support peaceful protest. I have a couple of friends down the road from me who went to a protest and their group left after the police asked them to because a protest elsewhere became violent.

I do not support rioting as the only ones it is hurting are small business owners who, already struggling because of the overblown reaction to COVID-19, will have to close their doors resulting in lost livelihoods for not only them, but their employees.

This stuff happening? It appears that it is mostly college kids trying to stir up crap and that is hurting the work that the community as a whole has been trying to achieve.

Bottom line, I will protect my family and neighbors with the appropriate level of force I'm allowed to use by my state's laws. That includes my white, black, arab, and asian neighbors.

nomoretickets

Established Member
Dude.

Floyd died because he was high on fentanyl, had advanced heart disease, resisted arrest and died from heart failure.

Where is his own personal agency to protecting his own life?

Yes, the optics are absolutely appalling on how the police handled the situation, but again, where is Floyd's own agency and responsibility for taking care of his own life?

Why should a store owner in LA get his head bashed in because a convicted gang banger, high on drugs got in a fight with four cops and lost halfway across the country?
The presence of fentanyl in his system is not indicative of him being high at the time of the arrest
The independent autopsy disputes the heart disease conclusion and the cause of death being heart failure.
Both autopsies agreed the manor of death was homicide.
Even if he resisted arrest at one point, the video is clear. He was cuffed, on the ground, and was not resisting any more.

His personal agency was begging for his life over and over again. Suspicion of passing a forged $20 bill isnt a death sentence.

A store owner in LA shouldnt get his head bashed in for any reason. But that doesnt mean there isnt a problem with use of force on an institutional level.

csm1320

Established Member
It was refreshingly surprising when this thread first started to see SVTP uniformly in agreement that what that officer did was wrong.

Which only makes it more disappointing to see this thread fall back into the same tired tropes: bash the media, something about Soros, and an overwhelming focus on the reaction to police brutality rather than on police brutality itself. Have y'all already forgotten that barely a week ago a man was murdered in the streets on camera?

If you are more upset by the protests than the fact that a cop slowly killed a handcuffed man then you need to reflect on your priorities.

Klay

Established Member
I respect your opinion too. I know I came in here hot and ready to rock, and for that I offer my apology. Thank you for being willing to engage in a real conversation. I get that you got heated. This is a tough topic. I know Im probably in the political minority on this site, but sitting in my echo chamber is just mental masturbation: sure it might feel good but in the end im only playing with myself. So thank you for being open to actually talking.

Those grievances you highlighted are perfectly reasonable. And I agree with those points entirely. No one should face financial ruin from the shutdowns, but when the deathtoll and infection rate is skyrocketing, does anyone really think its of crucial importance that nail salons and massage parlors be open for business? Did the media amplify that aspect of the covid protests over others? Probably. But I still think on those issues we all have more in common than what separates us. Neither of us want people to die from this disease, and neither of us want small businesses to fail. I think we can do both. And responsible gun ownership is perfectly fine with me. I dont own a gun, but thats my choice. I have no problem with lawful gun ownership. At the same time, I do not necessarily get why responsible gun ownership needs to extend to the right to openly carry an AT-4 into a Starbucks, and I really hope we can all agree that that is pushing the bounds of common sense.

Yes I apologize too. I have a general respect for anyone who comes here with viewpoints that are on the liberal end of the spectrum. Not because I agree with what they say but because they are coming into the lions den often times haha.

Thank you for presenting your viewpoint in a logical manner. We don't have to agree fully politically but when we can do it respectfully there is hope others out there will follow suit.

I think we both ultimately want the same thing. To be left alone to live our lives peacefully. We can all agree to that I would imagine.

Maybe we focus on different things and have different ideas on how to handle these problems but at the end of the day, we are all human and we don't want to see anyone die needlessly.

jsd512

Wannabe Ghostbuster
Established Member
el55oFBO.png

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
For example, the officer who committed the murder had eighteen (18!!!!!) internal affairs complaints in his record.

Here is the thing: you think that sounds sensational, but is it? You do not actually know. You do not know what the average number of complaints is for an on duty cop. Does it vary by city? Does it vary by precinct? Do you know any details or the validity of these complaints? How many of these were found valid and resulted in discipline?

What if the average # of unfounded complaints is 1x per year. Well the cop that killed Floyd was on the force since 2001 so he is actually below average.

Do you see where I am going with this? More often than not "facts" are not really facts. I am not defending Chauvin in the slightest but I think the "evidence" of racism on BOTH sides is super weak. (Put a quarter in me if you want a rundown on the data that disproves the racist cop narrative.)

nomoretickets

Established Member
Here is the thing: you think that sounds sensational, but is it? You do not actually know. You do not know what the average number of complaints is for an on duty cop. Does it vary by city? Does it vary by precinct? Do you know any details or the validity of these complaints? How many of these were found valid and resulted in discipline?

What if the average # of unfounded complaints is 1x per year. Well the cop that killed Floyd was on the force since 2001 so he is actually below average.

Do you see where I am going with this? More often than not "facts" are not really facts. I am not defending Chauvin in the slightest but I think the "evidence" of racism on BOTH sides is super weak. (Put a quarter in me if you want a rundown on the data that disproves the racist cop narrative.)
All great argument for why this information should not be buried behind layers of secrecy.

nomoretickets

Established Member
Yes I apologize too. I have a general respect for anyone who comes here with viewpoints that are on the liberal end of the spectrum. Not because I agree with what they say but because they are coming into the lions den often times haha.

Thank you for presenting your viewpoint in a logical manner. We don't have to agree fully politically but when we can do it respectfully there is hope others out there will follow suit.

I think we both ultimately want the same thing. To be left alone to live our lives peacefully. We can all agree to that I would imagine.

Maybe we focus on different things and have different ideas on how to handle these problems but at the end of the day, we are all human and we don't want to see anyone die needlessly.
Agreed. Would crack a cold one with you anytime buddy.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
BTW, I HIGHLY recommend anyone that has an opinion on black crime and the implications for policing read these two books:

I can tell right away if someone is familiar with the actual data on the topic and honestly cannot take seriously anyone that has an opinion unless they are. I am not making the case that any opinion is more valid than the other but if you do not have a basic understanding of the actual data you do not really deserve to have much of an opinion.

AssPikle

Established Member
A man died, that was preventable. Now more people are being hurt and killed that is also preventable. People need to stop hating each other and start respecting each other. I wish it would happen, but the fuel of the media wont let that happen. Sad sad time to live in this world. I think social media permits the judgement of each other which leads to ridicule and hatred as well as racism. If we could shut down all communications for a week, and just spend sole time with our families with no outside influence, we might learn something.

nomoretickets

Established Member
BTW, I HIGHLY recommend anyone that has an opinion on black crime and the implications for policing read these two books:

I can tell right away if someone is familiar with the actual data on the topic and honestly cannot take seriously anyone that has an opinion unless they are. I am not making the case that any opinion is more valid than the other but if you do not have a basic understanding of the actual data you do not really deserve to have much of an opinion.

Your links arent showing up for me. I think these are the two books you are talking about

Taboo: 10 Facts You Can't Talk About by Wilfred Reilly
Ghettoside by Jill Leovy

venmos1

Established Member
I feel that the overall trust and confidence in law enforcement is gone. Abuse of power is occurring at an alarming rate. 9 out of 10 police i see are speeding in the left lane to wherever they are going. From my perspective, i feel they believe they are untouchable. that they are the law. The officer that murdered Floyd did give 2 #$%@& that others were asking him to stop. he was doing what he wanted to do. i dont really feel race was involved, but who knows. Police violence is way too high. Most is justified. but as we are seeing with social media, it is happening way too often. what about those situations without cameras?

Police should be our security blanket. Our protectors. Our friends. The sense of entitlement needs to go. At the same time look higher up. look at sentences that some judges enforce or let go. 2 people committing the same crime in 2 different states can get 2 different outcomes. i understand its not all cut and dry. But there are many many instances where it is and the right thing is not done. Just look at the comments already of how this cop might get off. Watch the video. its murder. Just my opinion.

MG0h3

Established Member
To start?
Independent prosecutors for police misconduct, unsealed police misconduct and discipline reports, civilian oversight boards, community policing strategies, mandatory retraining on deescalation and implicit bias. There are groups lobbying for these reforms nation wide. Happy to help you find one in your town.

Lmfao. Are these “community policing strategies” going to include the thousands of people looting and burning everything?

These people are ****ing animals.

“You’re full of $#!+”
Joe Biden

svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread