The kenne bell 3.6lc fits under a 2007 stock hood!!!

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
THE KENNE BELL 3.6LC FITS UNDER A STOCK HOOD!!!

Thanks to Robbie Prophet for the talent and Billet Pro Shop for the K Member Lowering Kit and Idler! This plus a simple mod to the steering box got me there without a Bumpsteer kit.

Check out the pictures below. The one under the hood was taken by removing the heat extraction vent.

I also backed it up with a Fore Innovations L4 fuel system and BIGUN Intercooler.

Clearance shot through vent.jpg
Driver's side view.jpg
Full view 1.jpg
Passenger Side View.jpgSteering.jpg

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Looking good Ben! I can't wait to see you make a pass at the strip with your new setup. Your previous KB 2.8 was pretty impressive. Are you planning to run True Street at Maple Grove?

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Looking good Ben! I can't wait to see you make a pass at the strip with your new setup. Your previous KB 2.8 was pretty impressive. Are you planning to run True Street at Maple Grove?

I don't think I'll have time to put enough miles on the new clutch or get in any test passes before Maple Grove but I want to.

Phantomhalo

All the boost!
Established Member
What mids did you do to the steering box? Did you have to deny your headers at all for steering shaft clearance? Do you have to reset any of your driveline angles?

Bad Company

Established Member
Ben do me a favor. Go to a toy store and buy a can of Play-Doh. Roll it out with a diameter of 3/4" place this on top of the SC and close the hood. You want this to squish down to be able to measure the clearance between the hood and SC. You want roughly 1/2" of clearance. As you launch the car the left side of the engine will twist towards the hood. With a 1/2" of clearance at rest the SC and hood should never hit. If you're less than a 1/2" you may have issues with the SC striking the underside of the hood on launches at the track.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Ben do me a favor. Go to a toy store and buy a can of Play-Doh. Roll it out with a diameter of 3/4" place this on top of the SC and close the hood. You want this to squish down to be able to measure the clearance between the hood and SC. You want roughly 1/2" of clearance. As you launch the car the left side of the engine will twist towards the hood. With a 1/2" of clearance at rest the SC and hood should never hit. If you're less than a 1/2" you may have issues with the SC striking the underside of the hood on launches at the track.

You've been a great resource and I appreciate your advice. I bought 10 pounds of modeling clay for this project. I will run it again and let you know. I do plan on launching hard as possible.

Last edited:

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
Impressive if it fits! My 2.8 barely fits with the KB 1/2" lowering. Good luck!

Bad Company

Established Member
You've been a great resource and I appreciate your advice. I bought 10 pounds of modeling clay for this project. I will run it again and let you know. I do plan on launching hard as possible.
LOL......most of the time I feel my comments are that of a condemned man taking his last meal before sitting in the hot seat. Especially since I've been shutdown recently for saying something that was truthful about a particular engine failure and the time line of that failure. Too bad that event doesn't publish the complete results in the manner wannaGoFast does

Sir Isaac Newton's Third Law is "For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction"

The engine is turning clockwise when standing at the front of the car. The opposite of that is counter-clockwise. The engine is producing torque, which you're applying to the drive train. The drive train is a torque multiplier of the engine output.

For example lets say you launch the car at the engine out put of torque of 800 lb-ft. You have a 2.66 first gear and 3.73 rear gears.

800 lb-ft x 2.66 first gear x 3.73 rear gears equates to 7937.44 lb-ft of torque at the contact patch of the tires being applied by the engine.

Now this torque is used to move the car forward, but at the same time depending on tire slippage versus car movement, the initial reaction is trying to twist the engine in the opposite direction of engine rotation. The motor mounts job is to arrest this movement of the engine to allow the torque to be applied to the tires. The problem is you're using a motor mount with a bushing. Even though it is a poly-urethane with much less deflection when compared to the stock mount, it is still going to compress and allow the engine to twist in the chassis of the car. This compression of the lower bushing half of the motor mount will bring the left side of the supercharger closer to the hood of the car at launch.

Last edited:

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
BC - I also have the shorter poly bushing in the motor mount which can't give any more than their thickness which is around 1/2 total. I'm thinking the way the BMR mounts are set on the K-member and the thickness of the bushing, I won't see much torque roll. I hope I'm right.

You are a very well-read and sharp mechanic that I respect a great deal. Don't let anyone get you down. What happened to you sucked and still sucks. I hope to see you at Maple Grove. I may be just a spectator.

Bad Company

Established Member
BC - I also have the shorter poly bushing in the motor mount which can't give any more than their thickness which is around 1/2 total. I'm thinking the way the BMR mounts are set on the K-member and the thickness of the bushing, I won't see much torque roll. I hope I'm right.

You are a very well-read and sharp mechanic that I respect a great deal. Don't let anyone get you down. What happened to you sucked and still sucks. I hope to see you at Maple Grove. I may be just a spectator.
LOL

Me too. I'd hate to see you scratch that shiny blower case or dent your hood

Thanks. I will be at Maple Grove to aggravate the opposition. You shouldn't have a hard time seeing me in a crowd.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
Keep us post on the fit, you have worked hard on this and its great to see it payoff for you!

You guys have been very supportive and a huge help to achieving my goal of a stock looking beast! I've made a couple of WOT pulls for tuning purposes and there's been no touching the hood so far. I must say that the car produced way more power than I expected and there's room in the tune to unleashing more potential. I ordered a thin silicone mat to put on the hood when I go to the track as cheap insurance during the final testing phase.

Kenne Bell FTW!!

rdsnk46

Established Member
Nice work man! We did this on my 08 back in 2010, people would flip out when I opened my stock hood and the 3.6 LC polished KB was gleaming underneath!

Users who are viewing this thread