The JLT vs. Stock Airbox with AED tune results and discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tucker

If you do back to back runs three times that should be all you need to know, if you are using a car that nails down consistent runs.

Each run with CAI should be faster than the run before it without the CAI.

In the days before computers that's how I tuned my carb and timing.
Your exactly right and it's been done, but there is always something that causes someone to say inconclusive.

Time to get to work.

Impetuous

Common sense isn't common
Established Member
If you do back to back runs three times that should be all you need to know, if you are using a car that nails down consistent runs.

Each run with CAI should be faster than the run before it without the CAI.

In the days before computers that's how I tuned my carb and timing.

Jerry you are forgetting that we are in the days were dyno numbers and being a dyno queen is where is at LOL:D

wbt

Banned
Good idea, bring up testing done with a broken track timing system. ;-)

Consistant 11.30's with the JLT
Inconsistant times with the stock box.

Question never answered from page 1 or 2.
The run he spun...Shouldn't the MPH be higher? Spinning results in higher MPH nearly 100% of the time.

This is the most inconclusive test done to date.

There are some pretty smart people here, but I think some are over analizing it.

You can not test a product worth 10-15 RWHP at the track and get conclusive results.

The fastest N/A 5.0 uses a JLT CAI!!:rockon:

...and we have more selective reading going on. Proof was posted regarding the MPH being off. You choose not to accept it or you just aren't capable of reading the timeslips posted.

I dare you, look at the timeslips. The truth is there, I promise.

The stock CAI performed every bit as well as your CAI.

The run where I spun didn't provide any comparative data. I pushed the car through the lights, 60' was a tenth off, and MPH was almost identical to the second stock CAI run. Your claim that MPH will ALWAYS be better when spinning is false. Especially when these times were so close. You think because the 60' was slower by .1 that my MPH should pick up by 3?

Tucker you have proven several things:

1. You like to selectively post things to twist any data to your favor.
2. You can't analyze a timeslip.
3. You have no idea how a track timing system works.
4. You didn't do any real world track testing of your CAI before releasing to the market to backup the dyno gains.

You are right that the intelligent people in this thread will see through the cloud of BS.

Oh and BTW, the fastest N/A 5.0 that was running your intake.....how butt hurt are you going to be when it gets pulled off the car?

We have two more independent tests coming up for those interested

1. Texas Mile this coming weekend.
2. TheCPE will be testing the CAI using his GPS following the Texas Mile.

Three independent, real world test results all without sponsorship, funding, or bias.

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
My results this evening:

Results:
JLT CAI
11.34@122 60' - 1.62 DA 1,880
11.35@122 60' - 1.64 DA 1,671
Stock CAI
11.49@119 60' - 1.74 <-------I loaded the car up too much on the converter and spun terribly DA 1,208
11.31@119 60' - 1.61 DA 1,208

IMG_20120315_012352.jpg

QUOTE]

Well i feel like you posted an answer for all of us. So in the runs where you say the mph was off by 3, just subtract that from 122 giving you 119 for the JLT runs since you feel so strongly about it being off. Correct all the times for DA

JLT CAI
***REMEMBER SUBTRACT 122-3= 119 for these corrected runs

CORRECTED JLT

[email protected]
[email protected]

Stock CAI
11.49@119 60' - 1.74 <-------I loaded the car up too much on the converter and spun terribly DA 1,208

CORRECTED STOCK (ignoring spinning run)

[email protected]

Whats the fastest intake now after all corrected?
11.166-11.097= .069
121.668-120.548= 1.12 mph

So all corrected, and even though the stock CAI had a slightly better 60', the JLT comes out faster by .069 seconds and 1.12mph faster. I feel that is conclusive enough for 10-15 hp.

**** AGAIN this was done by subtracting 3 mph off of the jlt mph, since WBT stressed so much on that fact to prove against the JLT.

I feel that the answer lie here in the corrected times, which eliminates one of a few variables.

SicShelby09

Banned
Ok so Im confused by this whole thread. I thought it was common sense that opening up the filter with the JLT big filter would result in more power/more MPH in the 1/4?? I dont agree with the open hood dyno runs, but Tucker explained to me in another thread that you will never see the airflow on the dyno that you see on the street, so opening the hood with the fan on it is the least you can do to try and get the airflow you need. So to me that makes it fairly equal running it on the dyno with the hood open vs. on the street with it closed. With that being said, he has made power with his setup and it seems like a no brainer....no? I also know that Shaun(the man) is running very fast on the stock box. Congrats! But Im sure he would run fast(er) with the JLT. I dont understand the conflict going on here.

One thing I would like to say to tucker is, I have only owned one of your products. The JLT high boost RAI for my old 04 cobra. It was a bitch to install, and those black and white directions were a pain to read. But that intake worked awesome! I would totally consider your plastic intake for my 11 GT, but man they are getting pricey. How about dropping them down say $50 to $249??? That would make my day and I would pick one up. Sorry to derail, but we all know that the JLT makes power.

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
My results this evening:

Results:
JLT CAI
Stock CAI

IMG_20120315_012352.jpg

QUOTE]

Well i feel like you posted an answer for all of us. So in the runs where you say the mph was off by 3, just subtract that from 122 giving you 119 for the JLT runs since you feel so strongly about it being off. Correct all the times for DA

JLT CAI
***REMEMBER SUBTRACT 122-3= 119 for these corrected runs

CORRECTED JLT

[email protected]
[email protected]

Stock CAI

CORRECTED STOCK (ignoring spinning run)

[email protected]

Whats the fastest intake now after all corrected?
11.166-11.097= .069
121.668-120.548= 1.12 mph

So all corrected, and even though the stock CAI had a slightly better 60', the JLT comes out faster by .069 seconds and 1.12mph faster. I feel that is conclusive enough for 10-15 hp.

**** AGAIN this was done by subtracting 3 mph off of the jlt mph, since WBT stressed so much on that fact to prove against the JLT.

I feel that the answer lie here in the corrected times, which eliminates one of a few variables.

Although it doesn't matter much, you went backward with the MPH however you appear to have rounded numbers.

JLT corrected: 11.097 @ 125.165
Stock CAI Corrected: 11.166 @ 124.469

Difference of: .069 in ET and .696 MPH

As I stated before, the stock CAI performed just as well as the JLT. I spent roughly $300 for a .069 and .696 gain the the 1/4 mile. :rockon:

Last edited:

Tucker

One thing I would like to say to tucker is, I have only owned one of your products. The JLT high boost RAI for my old 04 cobra. It was a bitch to install, and those black and white directions were a pain to read. But that intake worked awesome! I would totally consider your plastic intake for my 11 GT, but man they are getting pricey. How about dropping them down say $50 to $249??? That would make my day and I would pick one up. Sorry to derail, but we all know that the JLT makes power.
Thanks for your post and past order.

We have come a long way from the $150 Cobra RAI kit. We just redesigned them as well to a awesome roto molded kit that fits and works great.:rockon:
Tooling these new tubes cost about $10k each design.
We also improved on each and every part in out kits, nothing but the best quality part.
That adds up fast, but you will see we are still the most cost effective intake in all markets. That's why we sell so many. They work, look great and save people money. BTW, don't forget the SVT discount code SVTP5% :beer:
Although it doesn't matter much, you went backward with the MPH however you appear to have rounded numbers.

No matter how you do the math it's a gain.

Most see .1-.15 and 1 mph.

You saw less, but it still proves it worked.

In an inconsistant test the JLT runs faster, period.

JerryC

Established Member
As I stated before, the stock CAI performed just as well as the JLT. I spent roughly $300 for a .069 and .696 gain the the 1/4 mile. :rockon:

Maybe not the best bang for the buck, but it looks like ~7HP.

In the old days we used to say hundredths add up to tenths and tenths add up to wins.

Now lets work on figuring where the other 8 hp got lost from dyno to track.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
So all corrected, and even though the stock CAI had a slightly better 60', the JLT comes out faster by .069 seconds and .69mph faster. I feel that is conclusive enough for 10-15 hp.

Using the corrected values it is not a 10-15hp gain, you can do the calculations very easily to ascertain that at a maximum it is a 5hp gain.

Use your corrected values and calculate the change in kinetic energy for both runs (work). Then divide this by the ET (work/time = power). After converting to mechanical power you will see that the power difference based upon the work done over the specified period of time can only account for a difference of 5hp.

Once the TX mile test and my tests are completed with additional data this gain can either be verified as a legitimate 5hp gain or will become statistically irrelevant.

Should be interesting!

mastwolf

4800fps = Mach1 in h2o
Established Member
10-15 RWHP = .1-.15 and 1 mph which tons have got, but it can always be argued as inconclusive due to the variables at the track.

The JLT intake is designed with a taper to match the throttle body (about 83mm). All intakes are about the same size at the TB, that's why you need a step coupler to run the 90mm TB

I'm talking about at the biggest part of the intake.

Sent via 3Gs and WIFIs

AluminatorSnake

Established Member

Well by reading I was under the impression that it was showing 3 mph slower. But either way, IIRC between the 2 threads, 99% of the people here were looking for an ~.05-.1 second and ~1mph gain in the quarter mile. Your tests prove those to be pretty damn accurate. Your "just as well" performance terms are debatable, the entire point of these 2 threads were to show that a CAI equipped car can and will run faster by .05-.1 seconds and ~1mph faster. Your car and tests did that. No need to bring up the price argument now to continue to be against the intake, the sole purpose was to see if it ran faster. Thanks for your testing.

Tucker

I'm talking about at the biggest part of the intake.

Sent via 3Gs and WIFIs
Sounded like you were asking the size where it meet the TB.

Our kits have a no coupler smooth taper from 112mm (CF) or 107mm (plastic) down to the 83mm.

This smooth transition of the tube from one size to another is to increase air volocity.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
LOL @ all the absurdly flawed logic and theoretical equations being tossed around in here, thanks for the laugh guys!

AluminatorSnake

Established Member
Using the corrected values it is not a 10-15hp gain, you can do the calculations very easily to ascertain that at a maximum it is a 5hp gain.

Use your corrected values and calculate the change in kinetic energy for both runs (work). Then divide this by the ET (work/time = power). After converting to mechanical power you will see that the power difference based upon the work done over the specified period of time can only account for a difference of 5hp.

I do understand that equation but you are forgetting a huge disclaimer. That equation is only 100% accurate with 100% traction. Im sure that WBT encountered wheel spin, at least upon launch maybe the 1-2 shift. In the videos that WBT posted you can clearly see a loss of traction on the launch in both videos.

So, unless the tire and ground is marked and taped with a camera capable of capturing enough frames in front of one of those black/white measuring boards (excuse the lack of terminology) we cant say for certain how much traction is lost to compute into a more accurate kinetic energy equation.

Therefore your maximum 5hp number suddenly gets closer to our 10 hp that we are looking for. Your thinking and math is correct but its not 100% accurate in the sense that there is a lack of traction. But at $300 it may not be the best bang for the buck, even though price is subjective, it does prove to make for a faster car.

TheCPE

Skeptic
Established Member
I do understand that equation but you are forgetting a huge disclaimer. That equation is only 100% accurate with 100% traction.

You might be misunderstanding what the equation gives you; it is an average power output over a period of time. It doesn’t give you an absolute hp number, because you are right traction along with wind resistance and all other frictional loses in the real world will negate some of the power. If someone were using a time slip and change in kinetic energy equations to calculate the absolute HP than your assertion would be correct.

Your point about traction is however moot in this scenario where a differential in HP is being calculated. Why?

The 60’ times are as identical as you can ask for; the place most likely to suffer from a large variation in traction. Further, the 1/8 ETs are also all nearly identical off by mere 1-2 hundredths. This is significant because the likelihood of significant traction loses and thus potential differences due to variance in the traction lost on different runs would occur before the 1/8.

By looking at his time slips it is safe to say there isn’t significant difference in traction between his runs (throwing out the run he specifically mentioned screwing up the launch on).

Finally, I’m not sure why you decide that you would double the power differential calculated due to “unknown” traction differences anyway. If the traction assertion held water, ie 60’ times were different, if anything you eliminate the possibility to draw any concrete conclusions.

This goes back to the idea that very consistent runs were needed for useful data since Mike’s tests had a lot of variation due to his launches and shifts.

wbt

Banned
I do understand that equation but you are forgetting a huge disclaimer. That equation is only 100% accurate with 100% traction. Im sure that WBT encountered wheel spin, at least upon launch maybe the 1-2 shift. In the videos that WBT posted you can clearly see a loss of traction on the launch in both videos.

So, unless the tire and ground is marked and taped with a camera capable of capturing enough frames in front of one of those black/white measuring boards (excuse the lack of terminology) we cant say for certain how much traction is lost to compute into a more accurate kinetic energy equation.

Therefore your maximum 5hp number suddenly gets closer to our 10 hp that we are looking for. Your thinking and math is correct but its not 100% accurate in the sense that there is a lack of traction. But at $300 it may not be the best bang for the buck, even though price is subjective, it does prove to make for a faster car.

According to the timeslips, there is .03 difference in 60' times. Couple that with the less than 1MPH gain corrected and there is less than a 10HP difference here. Something else to take into account is the wind speed. We were fighting a 10-15MPH head wind most of the evening. That could account for the MPH difference between the intakes.

One could argue variables until we all die. Bottom line is the stock intake was on par and within the margin of error in comparison to the JLT CAI.

Let's not forget we have two more rounds of tests coming.

D.T.R

Established Member
Here is my question, if the gains (whether in HP or ET/trap) are so debatable and or arguable... is buying these CAIs still worth it? Im considering waiting until a CAI where there are CLEAR gains is released...

Last edited:

wbt

Banned
Here is my question, if the gains (whether in HP or ET/trap) are so debatable and or arguable... is buying these CAIs still worth it? Im considering waiting until a CAI where there are CLEAR gains is released...

I would recommend holding off until we complete the next series of tests. That will provide a total of 3 independent tests, under different conditions, with results you can draw a conclusion from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread