The infamous tick...

Bionik_P

Established Member
Ok, so I might have the infamous head tick problem.....however I have a 2004 Cobra....I know that the official TSB that is out is for 03 model Cobras with engines built before 11/02. My concern is that when I show up to the dealership, they will take a look at the TSB and turn me away since I have a 2004 Cobra.....is there any other paperwork or TSBs (or amendments to the TSB) that could help me out with my case?

Juruense

Banned
All 2003 AND 2004 Cobras can develop the tick. The only heads that are truly 100% tick free were first made in 2005.

Is your tick a light tick or a horrible awful tick?

Does it do it the worst when the engine is cold or when it is warm?

Anyways, good luck at the stealership, I hope they quickly agree to correct the situation.

What kind of engine oil do you use?

Bionik_P

Established Member
It's a light tick....but I can notice it even when I'm lightly getting on it.....

Usual symptoms....I can hear it after the car is warmed up...I can hear it from the right side...etc.

I use nothing but Mobil 1 5W-20. Change it at every 3000 miles....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Could be the tick issue. You're sure it isn't injector noise?

And what brand oil filter are you using?

Bionik_P

Established Member
I'm not sure if it could be the injector noise....all I know is that I noticed it once my friend and I installed my Magnaflow Catted X this weekend...as soon as I started to drive it, I heard it....

I use the prescribed Motorcraft filter.:thumbsup:

Is there anyway to tell the difference between my injectors or if it is the tick?

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
I had a light tick that was easily pin-pointed to the front of the passenger side head. Just last week i finally got my Ford dealer to take the passenger side valve cover off and change the 8 lifters (hydraulic lash adjusters) over the 1st and 2nd cylinder.

Unfortunalty because of the colder weather here in Montreal (and all the slat on the roads) i havent taken it for a long drive, im acutally taking it to an indoor garage this weekend until next april. So for now iv'e been able to let it warm up to operating temp. But, so far so good.... had it warm up twice and i havent heard anything close to the ticking it was making before.

When we visually looked at the replaced lifters, 2 of them had some scuffing but nothing major...

So, iv'e got my fingers crossed for the future!

Last edited:

04CobraMatt

Established Member
Bionik_P said:
I'm not sure if it could be the injector noise....all I know is that I noticed it once my friend and I installed my Magnaflow Catted X this weekend...as soon as I started to drive it, I heard it....

Is there anyway to tell the difference between my injectors or if it is the tick?

Yes, injectors make engine noise, ticking is ticking meaning you'll know it when you year it. Plus, its usualy only one cylinder making the noise so its less frequent then the steady noise of the injectors.

Bionik_P

Established Member
Ok, so I had a friend who's been around Cobras for some time now check the noise out.....he said it is just normal injector noises. What made sense to me (someone who can't tell the difference between an injector noise and a bad head....I know...I'm a dumbass) is how he explained the noise to me....

An injector noise....tap your finger nail on a piece of plastic under the hood.

A bad head noise....tap your finger nail on a piece of metal under the hood.

....And then I saw the light!:thumbsup:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bionik_P said:

That's good. I asked because Fram filters can cause a ticking noise that some have misinterpreted to be the tick issue.

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Dunno why you only noticed after the x-pipe install though. Did you replace the gasket on the passenger side header when you installed the x-pipe??

Bionik_P

Established Member
Rick James said:
Dunno why you only noticed after the x-pipe install though. Did you replace the gasket on the passenger side header when you installed the x-pipe??

Yeah I replaced the gasket on the passenger side.....my friend that checked the car out yesterday said that maybe I just noticed it more because I'm really listening to the car now that I have the exhaust on.....plus the cold weather can amplify the sound...

Rick James

Got Brimley???
Established Member
Bionik_P said:
Yeah I replaced the gasket on the passenger side.....my friend that checked the car out yesterday said that maybe I just noticed it more because I'm really listening to the car now that I have the exhaust on.....plus the cold weather can amplify the sound...

Cool man, sounds like it was just the injectors. They are some loud suckers for sure. :beer:

ROSENDO SANCHEZ

Established Member
Bionik_P said:
It's a light tick....but I can notice it even when I'm lightly getting on it.....

Usual symptoms....I can hear it after the car is warmed up...I can hear it from the right side...etc.

I use nothing but Mobil 1 5W-20. Change it at every 3000 miles....

Thats exactly what I have now and they're taking a look at it as we speak.. Hopefully they dont come out with "its a normal engine noise" :rollseyes :rollseyes

Users who are viewing this thread