The infamous "Stall on Deceleration" issue

04CobraOwner

Established Member
I continue to have this issue, and want to take it in to my shop to get them to reflash the ECU as others have done.

However, everyone keeps referencing the TSB, but I have only found one post that had the TSB number - as 17542...

My shop says no such TSB number exists for the 04 cobra.

Can anyone help by giving me any information that I can share with my shop to identify the issue?

Symptom - car will stall sometimes upon deceleration. Two ways to make it happen often, rev up near redline, then simply let foot off gas and push in clutch while coasting, or pull up to stop light, push in the clutch with foot off gas and will stall while coasting.

This problem started when I installed my K&N FIPK.

Disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes fixes the problem for a little while, but it starts back up again after a few drives.

Thanks!

93tealcoupe

Established Member
just reflash the ECU and you'l be all set, thats what i did. Same thing was happening to my 03 as you described, was so annoying. problem fixed :rockon:

cornholio

Established Member
I was told that all "updated" flashes form Ford have the cure. I had the same problem, and my recent tune cured it.

Bluedot_26

This Space For Rent
Established Member
04CobraOwner said:
My shop says no such TSB number exists for the 04 cobra.

Can anyone help by giving me any information that I can share with my shop to identify the issue?

Take it to Hayward Ford ... they flashed mine no probs.

everyman

smoke 'em
04CobraOwner said:
However, everyone keeps referencing the TSB, but I have only found one post that had the TSB number - as 17542...

SSM #17542 is a Special Service Message on the Ford computer system.

Little different than a Technical Service Bulletin, but they can still pull it up at the dealership.

Last edited:

juiced414

Established Member
Here is what the ssm says from Ford...

OASIS SPECIAL SERVICE MESSAGE NUMBER: 17542
MESSAGE TITLE: 2003 MUSTANG COBRA - LACK OF POWER ON DECELERATION

APPLICABLE VEHICLES :
2003 CAR : 00071 MUSTANG

OASIS MESSAGE :
SOME 2003 MUSTANG COBRA VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT DRIVABILITY CONCERNS INCLUDING
LOSS OF POWER ON DECEL. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE CALIBRATION OF THE
POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM). TO SERVICE, REPROGRAM THE PCM WITH THE
LATEST CALIBRATION AVAILABLE USING WDS RELEASE B29.3 OR HIGHER. CALIBRATION
FILES ARE ALSO AVAILABLE AT WWW.MOTORCRAFT.COM.

APPLICABLE SYMPTOM CODES :
607000 DRIVEABILITY STALLS/QUITS
607700 DRIVEABILITY STALLS/QUITS - DECELERATION

I8URZ28

gas mileage is overrated!
Established Member
ALSO check to see that your MAF dosen't have any K&N oil on it if you are running one I had the stall fixed and 1yr later did it to me twice, upon investigating found filter oil on the MAF--may have not been the cause but I cleaned it and I haven't stalled again since (6 mo) :beer:

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Mine started doing this after my spark plug replacement. As I was pulling the plugs a second time to lower the gap thinking it was the spark plug gap giving me the stalls, I discovered my K&N FIPK filter was flopping around loose in the box. Must have come undone when I was tugging on the intake to get it out of the way for the passenger side plugs the first time. Anyway, put the filter back on the stub-out pipe and tightened the hose clamp good - stalling dissapeared! Check real good for leaks on your FIPK setup...

Good luck,
Dan

PFCVO

Oscar Mike
Established Member
I8URZ28 said:
ALSO check to see that your MAF dosen't have any K&N oil on it if you are running one I had the stall fixed and 1yr later did it to me twice, upon investigating found filter oil on the MAF--may have not been the cause but I cleaned it and I haven't stalled again since (6 mo) :beer:

+1
Yeah, definately clean out your MAF. I use the electronic cleaner spray from any local autozone. When I had that problem after installing the FIPK, I got the HSF0 reflash from Ford, and my car still stalled twice. Then I bought the cleaner stuff, cleaned of the MAF, let it dry for a while. Never had a stall problem again for 6,000 miles, daily driven.

NCStateCobra

Established Member
I had the stalling on decel/braking several times after I installed a C&L inlet tube and removed the heat shield around my filter to help it fit better. I updated my predator tune which didn't cure it. I never did get the reflash from Ford.

I then cleaned my MAF and IAT, retightened all my clamps, and reinstalled the heat shield over my K&N filter. I wonder if the heat shield was the ultimate fix. Not even close to stalling now.

PFCVO

Oscar Mike
Established Member
Hey NCStateCobra, do you happen to go to school in North Carolina State University? If you do, I'm a student there and should meet up.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
I have had my K&N filter installed for 5,000 miles never had an issue until it stalled out with my wife driving it last month. I looked in the air box and the filter came loose from its connection. Tightened it down and no problems at all.

PFCVO

Oscar Mike
Established Member
NCStateCobra said:
I did a few years ago. Now live down in Florida. Why can't we beat UNC this year?!!

eh, it's sad. During that game with UNC, I actually betted money against our own school, but hey, I won some money right?

blingaggie

Cinderella Story
Established Member
So I have a custom tune from Amazon but I still have the problem. Can this problem also be from a bad alternator? Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread