The housing market

Established Member
Tell that to a farmer. Or a machinist. Or a welder. Soon enough people are going to find that a computer cant solve all their problems, and they have been foolish in thinking they can just hire "a guy".

VenomVeins

Established Member
i have often considered doing the same thing. supposedly i have alot of equity in my place (bought in '09) and the idea of buying a house outright in a neighboring state sure is tempting, but i think i would regret it because i would miss the socal weather and surfing.

The only thing keeping me here is family. After living throughout Europe for nearly 2 years and Florida for another 2, i know i can handle the change in weather.

I just need a few family members to get on board and see the light. **** Cali.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
The thing I’m concerned about is locking in a rate. When I applied for pre-approval back in October it was at 3.75, it has gone up damn near a point since then. So now that I’m about 60 days from closing it’s the earliest I can lock in a rate. So what is the rate doing?! FML.

1996slowbra

Established Member
The thing I’m concerned about is locking in a rate. When I applied for pre-approval back in October it was at 3.75, it has gone up damn near a point since then. So now that I’m about 60 days from closing it’s the earliest I can lock in a rate. So what is the rate doing?! FML.

You can always refi later if rates go down again. I was at 4.25 when I initially got my loan and re financed about a year later and im at 3.65 now. You can write off most of the interest so you really aren't losing too much money paying a higher rater for a year or whatever it is.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
You can always refi later if rates go down again. I was at 4.25 when I initially got my loan and re financed about a year later and im at 3.65 now. You can write off most of the interest so you really aren't losing too much money paying a higher rater for a year or whatever it is.
True, but the increase at this point is a rather large increase to monthly payment.

1996slowbra

Established Member
True, but the increase at this point is a rather large increase to monthly payment.
At least the extra amount you would be paying is interest which would lower your tax liability. I guess its down to whether that extra couple hundred out of your pocket at the end of the month makes or breaks you in regard to the rest of your finances. For me it was a non issue, nice to have but it didn't cause me any problems not having it.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I'm going back east where I grew up. I was raised in western NY and SE Pennsylvania and all my family are in those areas. However, it will depend on where I secure employment. I realize this is blasphemy but I actually like snow and colder weather. Keeps me energetic and productive.

It is blasphemy! LOL

I often think about how life would be different if I lived around family as an adult. I'm from northeast Ohio and there is absolutely no opportunity there so I have had to move around to ascend into a higher level role in my work (I work in higher education on a college campus). I almost feel "cheated" because in order to make descent money and make a career for myself I had to move away from family/friends. Now I'm in Vegas, but I like it here...so far. Raising kids here isn't so bad if you live in a descent area. I hope moving back "home" is everything you remember it to be. I hope it satisfies you. For me, I'm not sure it would. I struggle with this regularly, mostly because I have kids who love to see their family.

jeffh81

Here’s KingBlack
Established Member
I went through veteran United. Super awesome and easy to deal with

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Im applying through Navy Federal. This would be my first time buying a house and supposedly they have down payment assistance and other things I qualify for.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
The only thing keeping me here is family. After living throughout Europe for nearly 2 years and Florida for another 2, i know i can handle the change in weather.

I just need a few family members to get on board and see the light. **** Cali.
I have a property that I need to sell in SD, then I’m out of CA for good.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
I'm going back east where I grew up. I was raised in western NY and SE Pennsylvania and all my family are in those areas. However, it will depend on where I secure employment. I realize this is blasphemy but I actually like snow and colder weather. Keeps me energetic and productive.
What area?

jenkins_1120

Established Member
Im applying through Navy Federal. This would be my first time buying a house and supposedly they have down payment assistance and other things I qualify for.

you wouldn't have to have a down payment and all the closing cost were rolled into the loan. Good luck! deciding to finally buy a house was a great decision for me.

VegasMichael

Established Member
It is blasphemy! LOL

I often think about how life would be different if I lived around family as an adult. I'm from northeast Ohio and there is absolutely no opportunity there so I have had to move around to ascend into a higher level role in my work (I work in higher education on a college campus). I almost feel "cheated" because in order to make descent money and make a career for myself I had to move away from family/friends. Now I'm in Vegas, but I like it here...so far. Raising kids here isn't so bad if you live in a descent area. I hope moving back "home" is everything you remember it to be. I hope it satisfies you. For me, I'm not sure it would. I struggle with this regularly, mostly because I have kids who love to see their family.

I kind of liked Vegas for the first few years when I moved here in the 90s. Now I absolutely loathe it for a number of reasons. I'm in education as well so my career is fairly portable. I don't need to work, financially, when I leave here in three years but I want to.

What area?
I grew up in the Rochester/Finger Lakes region of NY and relocated to the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia when I was 18.

nxhappy

Established Member
A big reason the market is the way it is (here at least) is the lack of available homes. Basic supply and demand. Until there are more houses to buy than there are people in the market, I don't see things changing.
that is exactly right. They are building homes like crazy right now but they still can't keep up with the buyers. So the used homes are selling within 7-14 days and above list price.

terrible one

American Made
Established Member
I really hope it drops a little in a year or two. That’s when I’d like to buy, I have $100k I can put down but I haven’t found an area I’m ready to commit to just yet. I’m still in SoCal and have been trying to relocate out of CA, but have been unable thus far

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Everyone I know who works in the home market is expecting some kind of drop, but the Trump economy is strong so who knows.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I lucked out refinancing from 3.89 to 3.25 last year.
My home value went from 240k to 285. I would love to see what it is now in this market.
Guy sold one near me for 335k recently.
We have been looking at a move to Europe or Panama.
I like the Europe option because 4 seasons.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
The market will always correct from time to time as people pull profits out. The housing market is more economy trending. The last housing collapse was because of the liberals demanding banks load to anyone even if they could not pay it back. Heck the person that bought my house in Texas got a 110% loan on it even tho she had just moved to the area and had no job yet. Do not know if they are starting to do that again but certainly hope not.

My94GT

Established Member
I’m in cockeysville MD which admittedly isn’t the cheapest area but the wife and I really like the area and it has great schools as we are having our first kid in August.

When we were looking early 2017 it seemed everyone wanted top dollar for houses that needed large updates to kitchens, bathrooms ect and in the end we settled on a new build. We spent more then our initial budget but ended up with pretty much everything we wanted. I just couldn’t justify some of the pricing for such older homes and to get a good deal on one we would have had to of moved to an area an hour away with much lesser rated schools.

Users who are viewing this thread