the guy that knows it all

getsomebeyatch

Established Member
I have this friend that i work with in the mill and he swears up and down that he knows all that there is is to know about the infamous cobra which i dont think he does.We were talking about the years that which the cobras were made,now im not the smartest guy in the world and im not superior enough to the infanite wisdom of your knowledge but he says that the cobra has been in production ever since the first one was made.Now i thought that the cobra was put on hold a couple of years im not sure what years they were put on hold but he swears that his friend has a 89 cobra (fox body style)and i thought that the cobra was only made in 93 for that model,anyways can you guys lend me your knowledge about the years the cobras were made so this guy will stop acting like he knows eveything about the cobra world. thanks guys.

DD2000GT

VNMS 13
Established Member
Originally posted by getsomebeyatch
but he says that the cobra has been in production ever since the first one was made.

Well... I would have to say he is correct on that statement - the Cobras have been in production ever since the first one was made. I was thinking there was a few that were in production BEFORE the first one was made, but I was wrong. :-D

Seriously, Cobras are not made every year. the first SVT Cobra was in 1992, but there were Cobras before that under different organizational acronyms.

BTW - there was no Cobra in 1993.

Dan

wals9331

Stupid Kid w/Fast Car
Established Member
The thought the cobras were first made in 93 hence the reason why the 03 is the 10th anniversary edition of the car...

AmazonTuning

SVT God
Established Member
93 was the one and only fox body 5.0 liter Cobra
94-95 were 5.0 liter SN95 body
96 was the first year for the 4.6 DOHC SN95 Body
96-98 was SN95 and body style was changed on the 99-01
there was no 2002 Cobra went to new body on the 03 Cobra which is supercharged from the factory with an Eaton M112

Canoodler

I hate speedbumps
Established Member
Originally posted by DD2000GT
Seriously, Cobras are not made every year. the first SVT Cobra was in 1992, but there were Cobras before that under different organizational acronyms.

BTW - there was no Cobra in 1993.

Dan
:dw: :dw: :dw:
Originally posted by Linn@AmazonRacing
there was no 2002 Cobra went to new body on the 03 Cobra which is supercharged from the factory with an Eaton M112

Wow, just wow.

First SVT Cobra produced for the 1993 model year. No 2000 Cobras, only Cobra R's. No 2002 Cobras in order to prepare for the 03's (which went on sale mid-02).

:smmon:

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Now, just to get specific...these are SVT designed cobras. The cobra moniker has been in use for quite some time. AC cobra roadsters, cobra jet motors, etc. The SVT run has been: 93-99, 00 R, 01, 03-04, and now looking at a hiatus until 07 model year with an expected release in mid to late 06. The 00 run was stopped in order to get shit straight with the '99's that were not producing claimed horsepower. Regular production resumed for '01 and, as said earlier, another hiatus in '02 for the terminator arrival. Tell you friend to put that in his pipe and smoke it.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by Linn@AmazonRacing

I'm glad someone knows the SVT Mustang Cobra history.

They had some Mustang Cobras in '76-78, but they were mostly "badge" cars. Anyone remember the "King Cobra" from 1978?

The Cobra name orginated in the middle 60's when Carroll Shebly converted the English AC cars with Ford V-8's. He made a few more than 1000. First with the 260 c.i. engine (about 75) then the 289 engine (about 580). Those had a leaf spring chassis.

He then put the 427 side oiler and 428 engines in about 348 cars. Those had coil spring chassis.

When you can find any of those, prepare to pay $200K-$1M+.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Is your friend confusing the '89 Saleen with an '89 Cobra? There were only LXs and GTs for 1989.

WraithCobra

Don't want a GT500
Established Member
The confusion sometimes starts because the same Fox Mustang GT's sold the US were called Mustang GT Cobra's in Canada. NYCStangGT is correct about when the SVT Cobra's were built. There were some special edition Mustangs in the early 80's built under the SVO group which were 4 cyl turbo's. IIRC, there was even a 4 cyl turbo option in the GT one year.

Corner-Carver

The Voice of Reason
Established Member
Everyone seems to forget about the "ORIGINAL" Cobra... the SVO's. ;-)

They had a "hiss" all their own, they didn't need a snake on the side.:coolman:

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
I'm shocked there is so much confusion between Ford guys. Even I know the years the Cobra was made.

I like the old SVO's. I've seen a guy in a tubbed Ranger At Pamona and Fontana with an 84 SVO turbo engine in it. Lets just say he ran just as good at the nitrous outlaws turning a low 10 sec 1/4 I believe.

HairyCanary

Established Member
And there is ONE '92 Cobra :). There were two preproduction Cobras before the '93 run, one has been destroyed, one is still in existence. Identical to a 93 Cobra but by VIN it is a 92.

Users who are viewing this thread