The future of Ford....

ATTFighter

Established Member
I thought this was an interesting read. Not too happy that they will be focusing on moving the Ford production plant to China and importing the vehicles to the U.S. from China. No more Mericaaa! Also, hybrid mustang... Nuff said.

https://gearheads.org/in-5-years-ford-will-be-a-dramatically-different-car-company-see-how/

Ever since Ford sacked their previous CEO Mark Fields, the newly appointed chief Jim Hackett has been on a mission of modernizing and revitalizing the company. Now, it seems, we have our first glimpses of a massive plan which could change the company from its roots.
While many of the changes are structured around massive cost savings, the truth is that Ford seeks to reimagine its product line-up. The Blue Oval wishes to adapt itself to the world of today and “focus deeply on their customers.”

Ford’s New Strategy Includes a Lot of Cost-Saving Measures

The steps Ford takes tend to resonate throughout the industry. In short, they include:

Redistributing money from developing cars into developing trucks, SUVs, and EVs

Increasing the operating margin to 8 percent (from 6.7 percent in 2016)Reducing production costs by reducing the number of models, number of versions and increasing the use of common parts across its full line-upEmbracing partnerships with foreign companies (notably from China and India)Changing its focus on electric and electrified cars by introducing 13 new models within the next 5 yearsReimagining product development and saving up to 20 percent (we guess by introducing advanced computer and augmented reality systems)

“When you’re a long-lived company that has had success over multiple decades, the decision to change is not easy – culturally or operationally,” said Hackett. “Ultimately, though, we must accept the virtues that brought us success over the past century are really no guarantee of future success.”

We Will Get Our Focus From China

The most important part of the whole plan is the relocation of Ford Focus production to China. They plan to import the car to the US from China. Also, the Fiesta and the Focus will be moving upmarket in Europe. More or less, they will get a posh interior, new elegant exterior and advanced connectivity options to match what one can get in a Golf or even an Audi A3. On the other hand, Ford seeks to drastically reduce the number of versions.

Currently, Ford offers 360 different versions of the Focus, 2,302 versions of the Escape, 35,000 versions of the Fusion and 1,168 versions of the Explorer. They will reduce the number of different versions to 26 (Focus), 228 (Escape), 96 (Fusion), and 672 (Explorer) respectively. Reducing the number of orderable configurations will definitely save a whole lot of money. Ford will actually use the savings to develop new systems focused and centered around customers.

The Internet is Ford’s new benchmark. By 2019 Ford plans to offer the option for all vehicles sold in the US, and 90 percent of those sold in China and Europe by 2020.

We Have Even More Money-Saving Strategiesreducing prototype development and productionusing common parts across the line-up (something like VW is doing with their modular platforms)Reducing money spent on ICE development by a thirdFocusing toward lower-volume, but higher-revenue sub-segments (read: selling more expensive vehicles to people with more money).

Do not think for a second that these massive savings, estimated to be in the billions (they expect to save up to 4 billion on engineering costs only), won’t go to good use. Thanks to them, the market will see the addition of a Mustang Hybrid, an F-150 Hybrid, a Transit Custom plug-in hybrid, a Ford Police Responder hybrid sedan, a hybrid autonomous vehicle, and a fully electric compact SUV.

Furthermore, a new Ranger (including theRanger Raptor we wrote about), EcoSport and Ford Bronco will reach the US. Actually, the Ford Bronco expected in 2020 will be a global effort – even Europeans will be able to buy it. Development of these cars (including five additional yet unnamed SUVs) is possible due to dramatic changes and redistribution of money. In numbers, Ford will invest $7 billion previously intended for development of cars in development of SUVs, hybrids, and EVs.

Ford is moving with the times, for sure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Nothing surprising.

For one, they killed the ranger. They may be considering bringing it back but.. lets be real. The rhino they can't touch is the Tacoma. It's also built here and a pretty damn good truck. Ford is going to need a lot to make their lineup be more than just the F-series and the Mustang. Since you know...

The focus/fiesta name is tarnished from the transmission issue.
The Taurus is a model surviving from a bygone era. Not relevant
The explorer isn't what it used to be. It went from 4Runner challenger to highlander.
The fusion has a good spot and is looking to move into that crown vic rentacar slot.
The rest of fords lineup is completely moot.. the Edge and escape are pretty much the same vehicle on a different scale. The C-max is irrelevant, the Transits are work trucks, and all of Ford's high end trucks cost half of what my house cost me.

They have an uphill battle considering only F-series, mustang, and fusion are their bread winners. And with the hybrid/changing future of the Mustang, they may end up killing that too. It'll start looking like/be similar to the Fusion. Just wait.

This is why I sold my 2016 GT.

CV355

_
Established Member
It's a sad day when imports are more domestic than domestics.

Attachments

• 436.gif
    436.gif
    271.9 KB · Views: 108

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
This is all fairly old news. Not much new in the article.

Nothing surprising.

For one, they killed the ranger. They may be considering bringing it back but.. lets be real. The rhino they can't touch is the Tacoma. It's also built here and a pretty damn good truck. Ford is going to need a lot to make their lineup be more than just the F-series and the Mustang. Since you know...

The explorer isn't what it used to be. It went from 4Runner challenger to highlander.
The fusion has a good spot and is looking to move into that crown vic rentacar slot.
The rest of fords lineup is completely moot.. the Edge and escape are pretty much the same vehicle on a different scale. The C-max is irrelevant, the Transits are work trucks, and all of Ford's high end trucks cost half of what my house cost me.

They have an uphill battle considering only F-series, mustang, and fusion are their bread winners. And with the hybrid/changing future of the Mustang, they may end up killing that too. It'll start looking like/be similar to the Fusion. Just wait.

The Ranger AND Bronco are coming back. Ranger as a 2019 MY, Bronco as a 2020 MY.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Nothing surprising.

Everything you just wrote was incredibly biased and doesn't reflect on what the actual numbers. A few points were accurate but do you really think what you said is actually all true?

Sent from my SM-G935P using the svtperformance.com mobile app

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Everything you just wrote was incredibly biased and doesn't reflect on what the actual numbers. A few points were accurate but do you really think what you said is actually all true?

My experience working in a Ford dealership is pretty relevant. If you observe what actually gets sold, what comes in for service, and the feed back you get from customers... Ford really only has the F-series, Mustangs, and Fusions.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member

I'm not sure why everyone fails to understand Ford is the #1 selling automaker in the USA.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
My experience working in a Ford dealership is pretty relevant. If you observe what actually gets sold, what comes in for service, and the feed back you get from customers... Ford really only has the F-series, Mustangs, and Fusions.
I work with their entire line up as well along with every other major brand. Ford is far more significant than you make them out to be. Your perceived quality issues in reality still has them as a superior brand to most of their competitors.

Your statement amount the Focus is bogus. It's a toss up between the Corolla and Focus for best selling nameplate in the world. This all occurred while the trans issues were going on. So tell me how the Focus name is tarnished.

CV355

_
Established Member
Foreign manufacturers don't have the UAW holding them by the balls.

True, but there is also far less accountability for quality of materials/composition. I have personally seen cases where initial factory acceptance testing parts were of a higher quality than the Chinese PPAP parts that "magically" appeared a month later. "Oh, we didn't think that would affect anything" is generally what I'd hear, when the shoddy Chinesium material was stress fracturing during the same manufacturing process as previous process development parts were passing.

I'm neck deep in this for a living, and I work with almost every major vehicle OEM out there. Outsourcing is a nightmare. The material/labor cost savings for sourcing overseas is likely outweighed by the logistics and processing issues that it causes. At least, that's my opinion. Major OEMs may not see it (or care) because it is hidden in lost profits for tier 1 and tier 2 manufacturers who absorb those costs dealing with Chinese crap.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Ford reports 3rd quarter profit of $1.6 Billion

"The company reported earnings per share of $.39, which beat analyst forecasts that Ford would report earnings at $.33 per share.

The company now expects full-year adjusted earnings per share to come in between $1.75 and $1.85 per share, compared to $1.76 per share in 2016"

Ford shares are up 1.5% this morning in premarket trading as a result of the news.

DropSVT

Established Member
I hope they make the mustang look more like the fusion. Maybe we will have a falcon in America, that's what I'm really waiting on...

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Established Member
Nothing surprising.

Not to hijack, but I was just looking at a 4 door hatch 2013 Focus for an extra vehicle. How current do the transmission issues go?

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Man I thought with Trump in office, by now, the EPA would be gutted and we could go back to having free market dictate necessity for hybrids/EV's, not government regulations or fleetwide MPG requirements. The hybrid Mustang is going to be a joke of a car.

Voltwings

Established Member
Man I thought with Trump in office, by now, the EPA would be gutted and we could go back to having free market dictate necessity for hybrids/EV's, not government regulations or fleetwide MPG requirements. The hybrid Mustang is going to be a joke of a car.

Part of me is actually ok with it if they could manage like a "performance" hybrid system. Have just a small electric motor on the crankshaft for a torque boost and it wont be so bad. Uses a little less gas around town and fills in the low torque bottom end ... The gear head in me wants to like it, but the purist / enthusiast in me isnt crazy about it.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Part of me is actually ok with it if they could manage like a "performance" hybrid system. Have just a small electric motor on the crankshaft for a torque boost and it wont be so bad. Uses a little less gas around town and fills in the low torque bottom end ... The gear head in me wants to like it, but the purist / enthusiast in me isnt crazy about it.

Doubtful. It'll be a bottom bucket car, probably geared towards fleet rentals.

Voltwings

Established Member
Almost makes me wonder if they're going to bring in another engine. Like the 3.3 out of the f-150 + a hybrid or something, or if they're just going to stick with the 2.3 / 5.0.

Users who are viewing this thread