The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

VinSVT

Established Member
Originally posted by Blades
Are the optional wheels any wider or are they just made of lightweight aluminum? They don't look that bad at all on the car.. What were the tires?

Its a damn shame this thing will come to my house in the dead of winter. Do you know how they are going to "ship" them?

Blades you ordered a Ford GT? :rockon:

Blades

Established Member
Re: Re: The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

Originally posted by SVT606
You need to take a test drive in an Elise or a race prepped S2000 and/or Miata if you think you've experienced cornering.

When you make it to the Nurburgring make sure you move to the right when the Carrera GT flys by. :D

Yea, sure.. Not happening.. Hey guys, screw that Ford GT!! Lets hop in my raced prepped Miata!!!

Originally posted by VinSVT
Blades you ordered a Ford GT? :rockon:

My dad did, hes 68.. Thinks the sports suspension on a Lexus gives a rough ride. Not the Ford GT type. But hes a business man and was in the car business for 45 years; he knows a good deal when he sees one. He does love going to the local car show.. Wait until we roll up in this eh? :D

I'll make sure to post an indepth video/review as soon as it gets in my driveway. Anything you want to know about the car I can get on video..

Speed tests/videos will be made as soon as it has passed its break in period.. So in about 5-10 years.. jk jk.

However, you won't be seeing any 2005 Ford GT vs 2004 Viper videos or anything of the sort.. Its really not the kind of car you go racing around town with and NOT get noticed.. If the demand is big enough (ie there are X and Y amount of willing exotic/fast cars that want to race) then I could arrange a track/airport rental - which would make a great video..

Maybe I'll get a short WOT video sometime from now.. But no 0-150s or anything crazy.. I'm sure you guys can understand that.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

Originally posted by Blades
Its really not the kind of car you go racing around town with and NOT get noticed..
Maybe I'll get a short WOT video sometime from now.. But no 0-150s or anything crazy.. I'm sure you guys can understand that.

There's actually been more than a few GT races going down around town, but of course this is Detroit.

I'll post SOME of the videos I've got when I get a chance to upload it, but like I said, the majority will have to remain in the private collection. :beer:

I wish my old man cared about cars. He's just so non-plussed by fast things that aren't motorcycles(notice the 999s) and isn't much of a deal seeker. And it's pretty annoying because I know so many people that are getting GT's and he just doesn't care...sigh...he still may snag one on a whim though hopefully.

Last edited:

SVT606

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

Originally posted by BillyGman
I haven't had the privilage of driving a Ford GT, nor a Porsche Carrera GT, but for what it's worth, according to the road course and circle track tests they've done in magazines, the Ford GT came out ahead of the Porsche as well as the Ferrari Stardale.

As far as the Lotus Elise, it wouldn't even matter to me since that thing not only looks like a girl's car, but even has a girl's name. IMO, nothing looks as good as the Ford GT does, and again, IMO, there's nothing that sounds as good as that V8 growl. Furthermore, I don't see how a rear engine car like the Porsche would ever out handle a mid engine car, provided the suspension is set-up properly.

LMAO. You need to do some research my friend.

I'm not talking about the Porsche Carrera GT2 or the GT3. I'm talking about THE Carrera GT . You know...normally aspirated mid engine V10 pumping 604 HP and 435 TQ weighing in at 3,050 lbs.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=19&article_id=7366

Hmmmmm let's see here.....

Carrera GT
604 HP @ 8,000 RPM
435 TQ @ 5,750 RPM
3,050 lbs.

or

Ford GT
550 HP @ 6,500 RPM
500 TQ @ 3,750 RPM
3,475 lbs.

Yeah....the GT is going to keep up with it around a racetrack. :rolleyes:

fast1

I want a Cobra
Established Member
The Carrera GT, great car. Hope you got half a million laying around :rollseyes

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

I'm not talking about the Porsche Carrera GT2 or the GT3. I'm talking about THE Carrera GT . You know...normally aspirated mid engine V10 pumping 604 HP and 435 TQ weighing in at 3,050 lbs.

Carrera GT
604 HP @ 8,000 RPM
435 TQ @ 5,750 RPM
3,050 lbs.

or

Ford GT
550 HP @ 6,500 RPM
500 TQ @ 3,750 RPM
3,475 lbs.

Uhmm, before you start rolling your eyes at me, let me point out that you're overlooking the torque figures my friend. Sure, the Porsche engine is churning out 54 more HP than the GT, but the Ford GT engine is hammering out 65 more Ft/Lbs of torque than your beloved Porsche engine is. And w/that Twin screw Lysholm Supercharger sitting on top of that 5.4L GT engine, I'm sure that it has a very wide RPM range of power. So the peak power figures never tell the whole story. The Ford GT engine might very well be making a whole lot more power in the midrange RPM's, as well as down low. Sure, a good driver on a road course, or circle track can compensate for a narrow powerband by keepng the Revs high, but having a wider powerband makes for a much more enjoyable experience from 0-60 MPH, as well as all around performance driving on the street.

I do admit though, that I didn't recognize the Porsche you were speaking of. Thanks for the correction. Is that model really considered a production street car? Anyway, as for me personally, I'd still rather have a V8 engine. I don't like how the V10's sound. And for the price of that Porsche, you had better like every single little thing about it.

But unfortunately, that's a choice that I'll never be faced with since I couldn't afford either one of those cars anyway.

Last edited:

Paul Vincent

Established Member
SVT606, First, are you positive that Car and Driver's 3475 lbs for the Ford GT is right? I've read that its weight is 3350 lbs. Also, from what I've read the Ford GT actually has a higher top end than the Carerra GT. So, maybe the Ford GT's hp figure is actually greater than that of the Carerra GT. And, would it be too much to ask you to wait until the Ford GT and the Carrera GT actually meet in competition? Or, must all of us substitute actual racing with bench racing as you do ("Nah, nah! My magazine says the car I like is faster than the car you like.")? Finally, what are you going to do if the Ford GT dominates street and the Carerra GT track (hold your breath til the Gestapo goosesteps down Woodward Blvd)?

Last edited:

Blades

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

Carrera GT
604 HP @ 8,000 RPM
435 TQ @ 5,750 RPM
3,050 lbs.

or

Ford GT
550 HP @ 6,500 RPM
500 TQ @ 3,750 RPM
3,475 lbs.

Are you 12? Don't magazine race with supercars.. For what its worth, the GT is rated at 550hp.. It put down 565RWHP. Find me a Porsche Carrera GT to race and I'll do it. Thats definately worth the track rental.. Shit I'll even fly in Jeremy Clarkson.. :lol: But I know thats NOT going to happen.

Oh.. and if it was in my hands, ie if it i bought it with my cash.. I'd definately mod it.. It does look like the upper pulley is small enough!!

Last edited:

SVT606

Established Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Ford GT is the Greatest car ever built(no 56k)

I do admit though, that I didn't recognize the Porsche you were speaking of. Thanks for the correction. Is that model really considered a production street car? Anyway, as for me personally, I'd still rather have a V8 engine. I don't like how the V10's sound. And for the price of that Porsche, you had better like every single little thing about it.
Yes it is actually a production street car as Porsche plans to make 1,500 over the next three years. I'm not sure how many are slated to come to the states but it is a decent percentage of those 1,500.
But unfortunately, that's a choice that I'll never be faced with since I couldn't afford either one of those cars anyway.
And sadly...you are and I are in the same boat. :beer:
I just hope I get a chance to ride in each one day.

SVT606

Established Member
Originally posted by Paul Vincent
SVT606, First, are you positive that Car and Driver's 3475 lbs for the Ford GT is right? I've read that its weight is 3350 lbs. Also, from what I've read the Ford GT actually has a higher top end than the Carerra GT. So, maybe the Ford GT's hp figure is actually greater than that of the Carerra GT. And, would it be too much to ask you to wait until the Ford GT and the Carrera GT actually meet in competition? Or, must all of us substitute actual racing with bench racing as you do ("Nah, nah! My magazine says the car I like is faster than the car you like.")? Finally, what are you going to do if the Ford GT dominates street and the Carerra GT track (hold your breath til the Gestapo goosesteps down Woodward Blvd)?
No I'm not absolutely positive and my source came from www.edmunds.com. I honestly couldn't find the weight listed anywhere else including the Ford GT website itself. Perhaps that is just a guesstimated press release weight? Then again haven't they already started the delivery of the GT's? I'm sure will know the official answer soon enough.

As far as top speed(read in a straight line) is concerned yes the Ford GT eeks out the Carrera GT by I believe 4mph. Top speed for the Ford GT has been stated to be 212mph and the Carrera GT has already hit 208mph. Pretty damn close but it seems the GT would have the edge on the Autobahn. No it wouldn't be too much for me to wait until they go heads up....oh wait....they already have in a sense. Top Gear has already tested both extensively and the Carrera GT beat the Ford GT around their test track with the Stig driving, both in great conditions I must add, by roughly 2 full seconds. Trust me...the Ford GT is NO slouch at all in my eyes, I just couldn't stand all the P-car and F-car bashing going on here. For everyday useability I would take the Ford GT hands down without even thinking twice about it. In fact I want the white one with the blue stripes.

Here...take a look for yourself if interested(56k warning):

Top Gear Ford GT(you'll probably have seen this but RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE)
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/TopGear_FordGT_hi.wmv

Top Gear Porsche Carrera GT(same...RIGHT CLICK AND SAVE)
http://www.sleepy-fish.com/sleepy/Top_Gear_Porsche_Carrera_GT_hi.wmv

Oh...and BillyGman...I hear you loud and clear about loving that V8 engine and rumble; I have one myself. Should you download the video on the Carrera GT check out the footage between the 5:30 and 5:40 mark and tell me you just don't love the way that engine sounds redlining out. It's ectasy to my hears; sounds like a Formula 1 car for the street.

Last edited:

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
Top Gear has already tested both extensively and the Carrera GT beat the Ford GT around their test track with the Stig driving, both in great conditions I must add, by roughly 2 full seconds. Trust me...the Ford GT is NO slouch at all in my eyes,

Oh...and BillyGman...I hear you loud and clear about loving that V8 engine and rumble; I have one myself. Should you download the video on the Carrera GT check out the footage between the 5:30 and 5:40 mark and tell me you just don't love the way that engine sounds redlining out. It's ectasy to my hears; sounds like a Formula 1 car for the street.

I didn't know of that test, but I just watched it. Thanks for the info, and for that link. I must tell you though that I just don't like the whinning noise of that Porsche engine, nor do I like how most ferrari engine's sound either. I really am strictly a V8 engine guy because of that. I think the Ford GT engine sounds waaaaay better, and I also happen to think that the Ford GT bodystyle looks a lot better than that Porsche does. Yes, that's simply my opnion, but I believe that there are others here who share that opinion, as I'm sure that there are others who share yours.

Last edited:

Fast Freddy

GPS'D 225
Established Member
one lap on a road course does not make a race. most races last for alot longer period than just one lap. some road races last for several hours or more. that being the case my money is on the porsche carrera gt. after 2-3 laps the supercharger on a ford gt is gonna get so heat soaked that the rwhp output of the engine will drop off significantly. i would bet that the engine would not even be making 500 rwhp after 10 laps of road racing. as a road race progresses the porsches lead will just grow bigger and bigger. turbo's do not suffer this heat soak crisis as bad as superchargers do. when was the last time you have a ever seen a professional road race team in the world win a major road racing event with a supercharger? i can't name one. when was the last time that a major race team won a major road racing event utilizing a turbocharger? the history books are full of such cars and teams.

bottom line superchargers are made for drag racing and turbo's are made for road racing.

LSs1Power

Established Member
Originally posted by FastFreddySlone

bottom line superchargers are made for drag racing and turbo's are made for road racing.

Heat soak problems is ture in the case of a roots style or whipple SC, but not in a Centri SC. For road racing u want a sharp controlable response and thats why N/A is the best route, but a Centri SC would be better for such operations than a Turbo car IMO. I know for a fact that Real Time racing team used a SC'd NSX in 01 or 02. The car did great and it never seemed to lose power even after 50min of hard racing. Maybe there is rules against SC's and thats why we dont see them alot on road racing.

BillyGman

50BMG target shooter
Established Member
I think you guys might be overlooking something here, but please correct me if I'm wrong about that.....

The Ford GT doesn't have a roots type S/Cer. It has a Lysholm twin screw S/Cer. And the twin screw doesn't produce heat like the roots type S/Cer does. Yes, the twin screw is similar in design, but it has different type internal rotors than the roots type S/Cer does. They're shaped like a screw and therefore don't produce the heat that a roots type does. Many people think of twin screw S/Cers like the Kenne Belle/whipple ones as being roots type S/Cers, but they're NOT.

The Twin screw design is superior. And what about world war II planes such as the "Lightning" which had a S/Ced engine? I'd think that if there was a major heat problem than they wouldn't have excelled the way they did in the air.

But back to automobiles.... I don't mean to change the subject, but since the topic here is infact the Ford GT, I want to ask you guys something. Is the Ford GT an SVT car Like the 03 and 04 Cobra is?

Last edited:

fordification

Established Member
:D I just think it's great that Ford has something to compare with the top supercars of the world for a 3rd the price. :coolman: From minivans to race cars. Diversity.

fordification

Established Member
The Ford GT doesn't have a roots type S/Cer. It has a Lysholm twin screw S/Cer. And the twin screw doesn't produce heat like the roots type S/Cer does. Yes, the twin screw is similar in design, but it has different type internal rotors than the roots type S/Cer does. They're shaped like a screw and therefore don't produce the heat that a roots type does. Many people think of twin screw S/Cers like the Kenne Belle/whipple ones as being roots type S/Cers, but they're NOT.

All I could find.

Air entering the front of the blower case from the throttle-body and air inlet is compressed horizontally along the screw-like rotors of the supercharger that squeeze it into the outlet at the opposite end of the case, hence its designation as a screw-type blower. This design is more thermally efficient than the Roots design used on the Cobra and Lightning, which compresses the air around the outside path of the rotating rotor lobes.

SVT606

Established Member
Originally posted by FastFreddySlone
one lap on a road course does not make a race. most races last for alot longer period than just one lap. some road races last for several hours or more. that being the case my money is on the porsche carrera gt. after 2-3 laps the supercharger on a ford gt is gonna get so heat soaked that the rwhp output of the engine will drop off significantly. i would bet that the engine would not even be making 500 rwhp after 10 laps of road racing. as a road race progresses the porsches lead will just grow bigger and bigger. turbo's do not suffer this heat soak crisis as bad as superchargers do. when was the last time you have a ever seen a professional road race team in the world win a major road racing event with a supercharger? i can't name one. when was the last time that a major race team won a major road racing event utilizing a turbocharger? the history books are full of such cars and teams.

Excellent points about road racing although I do want to point out that the Carrera GT is one of Porsche's NA models like the GT3. They don't use turbo's and therefore have a higher reving NA engine which is something I personally prefer. I'm eager to see if your theories stand true once more people start taking their GT's to the track.

I couldn't agree with you more fordification...keeping up with supercars for 1/3 of the price is nothing to ignore. Ford has really outdone themselves with this one.

fordification

Established Member
Yep, unfortunately Ford never had any intentions on racing the GT. Also in the LeMans rule restrictions on forced induction cars are limited to something like 2-3litres.

Users who are viewing this thread