• Ford Racing 99-04 IRS Cobra #M5300J

Votes: 9 3.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
I think they'll be fine for my taste with the stock isolators up front. It'll drop some more I'm sure.

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
although the H&R Race are a listed as a coupe only application (not listed for 'verts)... does anyone have them on their convertible? i don't guess this would be an issue at all...

P_RsSVT

Established Member
MachME said:
I have H and R race springs sitting right next to me with MM isolators and bilstein's all around waiting to go on.

:beer:

If you want your car to lower, dont use the MM isolators. Ive seen pictures with the MM and the car doesnt drop at all...

SVTBoxer

Established Member
mixxer said:
H AND R ss stock iso's all the way around. 17x9 front--17x10.5 back nitto DR. handles awesome -nice stance-cool rake. does scape on stuff sometimes so i am adding MM iso's in the front.

Great looking ride mixxer! Thats the same set up that I want to run on my car. But I have a problem, I haul my car on a trailer to the track and I need to know if I will be able to open my doors on my car whens its on the trailer. If you get a free few mins. is there any way that you could measure the bottom back of the door to the ground. Thanks a lot man. Great ride!!!

tankerman1981

Established Member
I have the H&R Sports on my 03 Vert and love the drop... have to be careful over speed bumps but I love the look.... sat a little funny for like a week or soo but after they settled it was GREAT!!!! LOOKS SOO MUCH MORE MEANER THAN STOCK!!!

huben94

Established Member
Some info I recently found out for those with issues using Eibachs. I called them they stated the springs part number 3590-140 will not work correctly on the 03-04 Cobras due to some change in the IRS. Expected release date for the correct part 3594-140 will be March or April. Has any one use Saleen spring on the 03-04 Cobra?

Thanks,

acrod

Established Member
I know this has been asked many times but which one drops more, H&R race or Sport springs?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
acrod said:
I know this has been asked many times but which one drops more, H&R race or Sport springs?

The sport springs (SS)! I just switched from those to the H&R race springs last week. I'll be honest and say I like the race springs a little better. I was kind of on the fence about the whole thing at first. I really didn't want to switch springs but now I'm glad I did. I ran the H&R SS springs with MM iso's front and rear for a little more than a year. It gave an awesome drop and the ride was still comfortable but it's no comparison to the handling increase and overall feel (tightness) the car inherited from the race springs. I also like being slightly higher that way the shocks and struts can get worked a bit more overall. I am currently running the stock isolators in all four corners. I'll post up pics a bit later for you guys. :thumbsup:

mixxer

Established Member
thanks svtboxer-its 9 1/2 inches from bottom of door to ground. and i also measure ride height front and back all measured from bottom of fender to center of cap of the rim. rear 14 3/8- front 14. thats with stock iso's. im going to put MM iso's on the front which will probably bring me up to 14 1/4 in front.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
The sport springs (SS)! I just switched from those to the H&R race springs last week. I'll be honest and say I like the race springs a little better. I was kind of on the fence about the whole thing at first. I really didn't want to switch springs but now I'm glad I did. I ran the H&R SS springs with MM iso's front and rear for a little more than a year. It gave an awesome drop and the ride was still comfortable but it's no comparison to the handling increase and overall feel (tightness) the car inherited from the race springs. I also like being slightly higher that way the shocks and struts can get worked a bit more overall. I am currently running the stock isolators in all four corners. I'll post up pics a bit later for you guys. :thumbsup:

I keep hearing good things about the Race springs over the Sports. I'm driving an '01 and it's time to make the move and I'm leaning toward the Race springs with stock iso also. I suspect the ride's going to be a bit harsher due to the '01 being lighter.
I was wondering which Bilstein's are you running...the originals, HD's or Sports?
How much of a drop did you finally see?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
I keep hearing good things about the Race springs over the Sports. I'm driving an '01 and it's time to make the move and I'm leaning toward the Race springs with stock iso also. I suspect the ride's going to be a bit harsher due to the '01 being lighter.
I was wondering which Bilstein's are you running...the originals, HD's or Sports?
How much of a drop did you finally see?

I'm running the stock bilsteins. MM actually says the 03-04 stock bilsteins are quite complimentary with the race springs. I know H&R says the shocks and struts may need to be changed with the race springs higher spring rate but that only pertains to the 99-01 models with the stock MacPherson shocks/struts. A lot of 03-04 owners get confused with that and think they need to change to race valved or R shocks which isn't the case.

Last edited:

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:
I'm running the stock bilsteins. MM actually says the 03-04 stock bilsteins are quite complimentary with the race springs. I know H&R says the shocks and struts may need to be changed with the race springs higher spring rate but that only pertains to the 99-01 models with the stock MacPherson shocks/struts. A lot of 03-04 owners get confused with that and think they need to change to race valved or R shocks which isn't the case.

Yeah, the stock '01 dampers won't handle those rates for sure. I think the HD's are closest to your stock Bils. Thanks.

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
going without isolators

Okay, so personally, i've decided to go with the H&R Race springs on my '03 convertible. I love the look of the H&R Sport but don't want to worry about being too low and scraping, etc.

what issues may i encounter if i remove the stock isolators (and do completely WITHOUT any isolators) with the H&R Race Springs? i'm afraid they won't be LOW ENOUGH... the isolators were engineered for a purpose... if they were created simply to reduce noise - well, i can deal with that. if i need to retain them for a function purpose, i'd like to know what may happen if i remove them. what do you know?

------

CAN YOU CUT H&R Race springs to get a bit lower?

Last edited:

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
Damascus Cobra said:
Okay, so personally, i've decided to go with the H&R Race springs on my '03 convertible. I love the look of the H&R Sport but don't want to worry about being too low and scraping, etc.

what issues may i encounter if i remove the stock isolators (and do completely WITHOUT any isolators) with the H&R Race Springs? i'm afraid they won't be LOW ENOUGH... the isolators were engineered for a purpose... if they were created simply to reduce noise - well, i can deal with that. if i need to retain them for a function purpose, i'd like to know what may happen if i remove them. what do you know?

------

CAN YOU CUT H&R Race springs to get a bit lower?
You may or may not get noise without the isolators. From what I've heard most guys notice no difference at all leaving them out. I wouldn't suggest cutting the H&R coils though.

Damascus Cobra

2003 RedFire Convertible
Established Member
to I-CAN-STANG :

i see you've moved from the H&R Sport to the H&R Race and have read you comments on the handling characteristics...

what is the difference in ride height?

P_RsSVT

Established Member
I-CAN-STANG said:

Waiting on the pics buddy!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread