The Colorado Mile

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
Is anyone considering participation in The Colorado Mile?
Event Date: September 4-6, 2015
5200 Front Range Pkwy Watkins, CO 80137

U.S. Mile Racing
Registration Date: July 20th at 7PM CST
Registration Options: 2 Day, Saturday-Sunday $425 or 3 Day, Friday-Sunday $525
Registration fee covers unlimited runs.
Registration will be limited. Once those spots are filled the waiting list will open. There will be limited number of spots on the waiting list. We will be announcing these limits soon.
Each registration comes with 1 crew entry. Additional crew pay the spectator fee TBD.
Additional drivers can be added for $125. Limit of 2 additional drivers, 3 drivers total per entry.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I hear that! Cost is one of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger yet. but I'm leaning toward doing so. After making 160MPH at the (1/2 mile) Airstrip Attack, I want to see what she'll do with a full mile to stretch her legs...

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
never heard of this event, but I think I'd rent a nice lens and come do some photography.
This is the first time/year they've done it here in Colorado. It's being run by the U.S. Mile folks who put on more well-known Texas Mile.

kpinco and I are both registered to race.

SC Heaven

Red Whine
Established Member
I will be attending as a spectator. Car won't be tuned in time to run. But I'm guessing I would still be sub 500 WHP tuned, so I would probably be in the bottom 5. Haha.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
sweet. let me know what cars are yours and i will try and get some pics of both your cars.

Thanks! kpinco has a Stripe Delete DIB, registered with #7, and I've got a Black on Black, registered with #27. I understand 93 347 Cobra is also registered to race in his DIB with a Glass Roof, registered as #5.

We look forward to making your acquaintance.

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
Thanks! kpinco has a Stripe Delete DIB, registered with #7, and I've got a Black on Black, registered with #27. I understand 93 347 Cobra is also registered to race in his DIB with a Glass Roof, registered as #5.

We look forward to making your acquaintance.

are you going all three days? unfortunately I can only attend on Sunday the 6th as I have to work the 4th and 5th.

pm incoming with my info.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
are you going all three days? unfortunately I can only attend on Sunday the 6th as I have to work the 4th and 5th.

pm incoming with my info.
kpinco and I only registered for Saturday and Sunday, the 4th and 5th. Assuming the weather is good, we plan to be there both days. I think 93 347 Cobra also registered to race, though I'm not sure of his exact schedule.

PM received and replied.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
I'm sorry! I meant to text you today, but forgot to do so. Please feel free to drop me a note tomorrow, if my memory fails again, so we can catch-up.

I only have pics of mine. (One is in my signature.) You're looking for three Shelbys running together - one Black w/Black Stripes and Base Wheels (mine), one Deep Impact Blue w/No Stripes and after-market black wheels (kpinco's), and a Deep Impact Blue w/Black Stripes and Base Wheels (93 347 Cobra's).

Planter

Banned
I see in your previous post above, you put the registration #'s, so hopefully that will make it easier to find your cars. I have been downright busier than a fall squirrel scrambling to get ready for winter! I have your number though, so I'll text you once I get on site this morning.

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It was good meeting you today, Planter. Thanks for the time you spent taking pics! We look forward to seeing more of them!

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
It was a good weekend (for most) at the inaugural Colorado Mile, held at the Front Range Airport (over 5500ft of elevation) in Watkins, CO. There were a lot of great runs by a wide variety of cars. A number of them exceeded 200 MPH, but the weekend's record setting 246MPH run was made by T1 Race Development's Nissan GT-R. Unfortunately, a handful of drivers/riders had trouble slowing their cars/bikes to a safe speed for the turn back through the pit area, and ran off into the grass. (Thankfully, no serious injuries or damage about which I heard.)

kpinco, 93 347 Cobra, and I raced on Saturday and Sunday. I made 14 passes in my stock 2013 GT500 throughout the weekend, with trap speeds ranging from 165MPH to 170MPH. kpinco garnered a top speed of 178MPH with his modified 2013 GT500. 93 347 Cobra hit 173MPH in his mildly modified 2014 GT500. Unsurprisingly, heat dissipation and traction were the biggest problems most of us encountered.

We enjoyed meeting Van@Revan Racing and NMAv, both of whom exceeded 200 MPH, on Saturday. I appreciated my friend, WHT03SVTCOLO, and his girlfriend coming out to spectate on Sunday. Although I missed him on Saturday, it was good to catch-up with PRP on Sunday. It was also an unexpected pleasure to meet and talk with professional driver, Randy Pobst, who was there racing a Porsche 911 Turbo S throughout the weekend.

Apologies for the mediocre quality, but here's a video of my fifth (and fastest) pass...
th_My%20Movie_zpsk2mfpjcz.gif

93 347 Cobra snapped this shot, as I was staging for a pass. (Just a little brake dust on those front wheels...)
Staged%20for%20Another%20Pass%20New_zpsnfap6meg.gif

Planter kindly came out to take photos on Sunday. (We look forward to seeing those soon!) In the meantime, here's my top speed slip...
Pass%205%20-%20170.2MPH_zpsseec6akf.gif

Last edited:

Planter

Banned
it was great to meet some SVTP'ers! you all had some awesome cars! :beer:

pics coming this afternoon. keep an eye on the Pics and Vids forum for the thread. probably about 6 pm ish or so, maybe sooner if my car gets out of the shop quickly for a brake job.

Users who are viewing this thread