The best non performance mod Ive ever done

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
I cant stand that the factory 93 cobra steering wheel doesnt tilt. Im a short person. Im 5'5''. I get tired of looking arround my hand. To fix this problem, I installed a tilt steering column out of a 88 gt and used a smaller momo steering wheel. Now I love driving the car. I no longer feel like I drive a school bus. Please no short jokes. LOL

Big Ben

stangsofsouthflorida.com
Established Member
Nice mod!!! I have termi seats and my thigh is close to the steering wheel. It is fine now but I wonder in 10 years...

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
camerapics360-1.jpg

fivestangs

Established Member
Looks sweet

Since I believe this is a relevant issue after such a swap......does anyone know anything about the legal issues that might arise after removing the air bag? For example, if you get into a wreck and are injured, can the insurance company refuse to pay any medical bills since the air bag was removed?

bad93svt

Established Member
look great

that is a great idea.. I have thought about doing the same thing. How much work was it? approx how much did it cost you?? That steering wheel looks nice.
Jeff

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
that is a great idea.. I have thought about doing the same thing. How much work was it? approx how much did it cost you?? That steering wheel looks nice.
Jeff

I bought the steering column from MPS in Georgia, I belive 50 dollars. The steering column cover where free from a friend, steering wheel and adapter was purchased from Maximum Motorsports, The steering column is actually a hybrid of the 93 and 89 steering column I used. It was actually a pretty simple mod. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would say it was a 6. You do have to do some wire splicing, but besides that, its pretty much a direct bolt in

stangbear427

Established Member
Anytime I drive a car with a tilt wheel, I always end up liking it best right where it would be if it weren't. But then, I'm 6'. Nice job regardless, just like everything else you've done. That is one sweet ride!

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Looks sweet

Since I believe this is a relevant issue after such a swap......does anyone know anything about the legal issues that might arise after removing the air bag? For example, if you get into a wreck and are injured, can the insurance company refuse to pay any medical bills since the air bag was removed?

Legal issues - tampering with airbag is a federal offence. Get caught and you can get fined. I'd be willing to bet the insurance company would refuse payment in the event of a wreck.

t66turbo

Car Designer in Training
Established Member
A manufacturer, distributor, dealer, or repair business may not then knowingly make inoperative any part or device or element of design installed in or on a motor vehicle that is in compliance with an applicable standard (49 U.S.C. § 30122; make inoperative provision). Any action that removes or disables safety equipment or features installed to comply with an applicable standard, or that degrades the performance of such equipment or features qualifies as a “making inoperative” and could lead to the assessment of civil penalties.

Doesn't say anything about the individual/owner of the vehicle. If I was to sell the car I would have to make it known to the new owner that the car was not equipped with an airbag. I believe, I would also have to get the new owner to sign a NHTSA Form; stating that he or she has knowledge of the modification. I could also just reinstall the SRS system back into the car. It would be illegal to sell the car without notifying the new owner. It only becomes illegal to remove a airbag when it comes to who removes it.

As far as insurance companies go. I sure you could get a million response. Im sure if you notified your insurance company, they would adjust your rates according to your modification. There are cars still being produced with out airbags, like the S7 Saleen. The insurance companies also know that the NHSTA also allows you to disable a SRS if you dont feel safe using the system. This is one point you could bring up the the insurance company.

scootro

Established Member
hey!! nothing wrong with improving the car the way you like it!!!

looks great! props to ya...

satx

Banned
defeating restraint devices will void your insurance policy.

wrong......read your policy. It must state that defeating the airbag would void coverage specifically. Even if it did the insurance company is very unlikely to deny coverage based on this type of modification. They insure lots of cars without airbags.

Last edited:

VirtualSVT

lolololololololololol
Established Member
wrong......read your policy. It must state that defeating the airbag would void coverage specifically. Even if it did the insurance company is very unlikely to deny coverage based on this type of modification. They insure lots of cars without airbags.

Wrong. They usually all state that. They also state that they don't have to cover any medical costs.

They do insure cars without airbags BECAUSE they were built BEFORE airbags were in cars.

You are not allowed to defeat a safety device.

stangbear427

Established Member
Actually, you are. It may be different from company to company or state to state, but I personally know people who have had their airbags deactivated and were involved in accidents and still had their medical costs covered. There are many cases where airbags have been proven to be dangerous (for example, very short women who sit too close to the steering wheel) and for this reason, amongst others, they can be turned off.
If what you're saying is true, why would so many vehicles come with the option right on the dashboard to turn off the passenger airbag? Can you imagine the lawsuits that would follow if someone turned off the passenger air bag because they had a child in the front seat, and forgot to turn it back on and an adult passenger was injured who may have been safer with it on?
"If Chevy didn't put that on/off key on the dash then I wouldn't have been hurt, I'm going to sue GM".
Everyone these days has the mentality that they should be protected from their own stupidity, and be financially compensated when they aren't. If insurance companies had the autonomy to make that call, manufacturers wouldn't be putting that key in my dads pickup dash because ultimately it would come back to bite them, not the insurance company.

Users who are viewing this thread