The best looking R Model and the one that made the record books of racing history

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
I have done some research in this area. I honestly believe the 1995 Cobra R to be the best looking car of all Cobra R models as well as the best looking Cobra model.

It just looks like the ISMA Championship car that it was. A review:

1. 1995-1996 IMSA Endurance Champion.
  2. 1997-1998 Sportscar Speedvision Cup
  3. 1998-2000 Motorola Cup Champion
I doubt that there will ever be another car that won more races than the 1995 Cobra R

My car could have won a lot of races with another driver:
95R2017.jpg

95R2017a.jpg

Goose17

I have a major ego, and need attention.
Established Member
Nice car, but "best looking car of all Cobra R models" is hands-down the 00R! Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the 00R has sex appeal. There is no mistaking what the 00R is. It is radically different from the other Mustangs/Cobras of the era.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Nice car, but "best looking car of all Cobra R models" is hands-down the 00R!

Yea, yea.

Do you have proper pictures of both sides of the entire car outside of that garage? ;)

I actually started this thread to see if anyone else, with a Cobra R , was actually still alive?

I think my 1995 Cobra R is the best looking and most successful racing car ever made (expect the the original Ford GT 40).

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
1) GT350R
2) 00R
3) 93R
4) 95R

I wouldn't kick any of them out of the garage, but that's the way I see it. No offense op because the 95R is badass, but imho it's slightly edged out by the others.

04MysticCobra

Established Member
I have owned a 1993 and 1995 Cobra R models and I do think the GT350R is the best looking of the bunch followed by the 2000R. The race history of the 95R is pretty extensive and successful. And yes I would like to have a collection of all 4.

Recon

Established Member
1) 00R by miles and miles
2) 95R still a very nice car
3) GT350R sound alone is worth it
4) I don't like fox body's so...

nmp1

Established Member
the 350R is an amazing car, i dont think anyone would doubt that. but its not a true R series car.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Nice car, but "best looking car of all Cobra R models" is hands-down the 00R! Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the 00R has sex appeal. There is no mistaking what the 00R is. It is radically different from the other Mustangs/Cobras of the era.
THIS! While the '95 R is really nice, it doesn't approach the 2000 'R' in both aggressive appearance and performance. I would personally take a 2000 'R' over a GT-350R. But that's just me. The 2000 'R', to me, is about as pure an 'R' as they come. JMO.

I see any other 'R' including a GT-350, I'm like.....Wow.
I see a 2000 'R' and I'm like.....OMG!

Goose17

Established Member
I agree the 95R is a great performance machine, but for looks, it blends in with the other white Cobras from the era and the interior looks plane-Jane. You really need to be a Mustang enthusiast to spot and recognize a 95R as being a special vehicle. 99% of the population would drive right past it thinking it's just another white Mustang/Cobra.

The 2000R is a WHOLE lot less subtle... I like that. I took it out yesterday and it got rock star attention.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
We have both the 95 and 00. I will agree that the 00 is a more raw execution, that is a lot of fun, and very rewarding. I like the subtle nature of the 95 however. If I were forced to pick one, I would pick the 00.

SLOWBRA

Established Member
I'm partial to the 95 because I love that body style over all others. The 00 comes in second. I'll own both in the near future so at the end of the day I'll be happy with both.

Like others, I don't put the 350R in the same boat as a limited production vehicle like most of us have. I'm sure it's great, but the 05+ isn't my cup of tea.

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Doc,

Interesting headline. I appreciate all of the Rs, but R stands for Race, and the 95 dominates in that category. The 93 had minimal success, if you could call it that. They just didn't have the hp or fuel capacity to compete. The 00 wasn't eligible in much any class. The only one I am aware of with any sort of professional race history is the Brown Brothers car. There were a few NASA cars, but that is enthusiast level. The 350R, I don't believe that is competing but could be wrong.

The 95R had fantastic race history, with real Rs and clones.

Want to take a guess at the most decorated 95R?

Chassis #69 of 250. 4 Professional wins and many other podiums. Raced Professionally for 7 years and 32,000 miles of track time. Also known as the #47 Zippo Cobra R by TF Racing. It looks very good in my shop!
Cobra+R's+@+Nashville+2004+P1010072.jpg

The Zippo car is second from the right in the above photo. These are 5 other competitive 95 models. The photo was taken at the MCA Anniversary Event at Nashville Speedway.

Tom

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
The 95R had fantastic race history, with real Rs and clones.

Want to take a guess at the most decorated 95R?

Chassis #69 of 250. 4 Professional wins and many other podiums. Raced Professionally for 7 years and 32,000 miles of track time. Also known as the #47 Zippo Cobra R by TF Racing. It looks very good in my shop!View attachment 797046

The Zippo car is second from the right in the above photo. These are 5 other competitive 95 models. The photo was taken at the MCA Anniversary Event at Nashville Speedway.

Tom,
I couldn't agree more. I was there in my racing 1965 Mustang (my 1995 Cobra R was stock).

It was the 40th Anniversary Mustang gathering (2004?) which had the fast IMSA racing Cobra R's as you said as well as a large gathering of all performance Mustangs. The 1995 Cobra R cars were known as The Possey.

As you know, I owned the Stars and Stripes Snipes car at one time:
21Snipes.jpg

It seems like yesterday.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I've raced against some, but the current value of a nice GT350 R (36 produced) is almost a million dollars. Do you have one?

I wish I did...if I was smart I would have bought a local one ( yes a real one ) when it was for sale years ago. Instead I am pouring money into my coupe, making it faster yet exponentially less valuable than the real thing.

Nothing against the other R-models. I like them all. But the original is by far my favorite.

Goose17

Established Member
apparently lots of fast and furious fanboys in here............

If that's directed towards the 2000 R, I think it's misguided. I'm nearing 50 and haven't seen any of the movies. If it's the fin on the 00R that makes you feel that way, Ford put it there for a reason. Plus, it adds to the overall "in your face" styling on the 2000. I AM a fan!

Users who are viewing this thread