The 2011 Ford Super Duty.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
The circle is now complete. Following a couple model years after the redesigned F-150, Ford has taken the wraps off the new 2011 Super Duty model at the Texas State Fair today. The new Super Duty debuts with a new look, new diesel engine called "Scorpion" 6.7-liter Power Stroke V8, and an all-new 6.2-liter gas-powered V8 (NOTE: This should be the same 6.2-liter V8 destined for duty in the F-150 SVT Raptor). Ford has still not released power figures for either engine, but the Power Stroke diesel does have the ability to run on B20 biodiesel.

Also new is a 6R140 heavy-duty TorqShift six-speed automatic transmission that features manual SelectShift control and a Tow Haul option with integrated exhaust braking. The new transmission also offers an optional Live Drive PTO (Power Take Off) feature that was first developed for agricultural machines. Live Drive PTO allows the engine to power auxiliary equipment like snow plows, cement mixers and tow truck lifts directly through the transmission.

Of course, the new Super Duty wouldn't be a Ford truck if it didn't offer best-in-class towing and hauling capabilities, and since the previous Super Duty already held that crown, the new one puts Ford even further ahead of other heavy duty trucks. Again, no hard numbers were given, but expect enough irresistible force to dislodge any immovable object.

The new Super Duty is also packed with all of Ford's latest technologies like Hill Start Assist, Hill Descent Control, Trailer Sway Control, Trailer Brake Control and AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control, among others. Ford Works Solutions is also available, and the interior features a new 4.2-inch auxiliary LCD screen between the gauges for keeping track of what the truck's technologies are doing.

The new exterior design of the 2011 Super Duty also takes the biggest of Ford trucks in a new direction with the boldest front end yet that appears much more integrated with the cab and bed than previous models. Vertically stacked headlights frame a new grille that sports two big horizontal bars and a Ford logo large enough to read from a mile away. Check out the full gallery of official high-res images from Ford below and the press release with even more details after the jump.
2011 Ford Super Duty debuts at Texas State Fair — Autoblog

Man, this truck looks good, the 6.2 and 6.7 are going to be sweet once we see them on the road. One problem I have is the grille, it looks like this [=] and I am not really feeling it.

2011fordsuperduty_1.jpg

11f250_sd_025.jpg

11_sd250_052-1253815961.jpg

11_sd250_028.jpg

11_sd250_046gas-1253815979.jpg

11_sd250_044dsl-1253815985.jpg

Blown_By_You

Richard Head
Established Member
Love the interior..

I think the headlights take up too much of the front end, but I'm sure it will grow on me..

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
That new diesel has urea injection and a diesel particulate filter with regeneration.

I'll keep my 2005.

Pretty sure the 6.4 does and all the other new diesels.

I like this new truck way better!

ModularFan

Established Member
It looks good, I like this front better then the 08-10 version, I just wish they would have the headlights at the top instead of the bottom.

STG

Banned
Pretty sure the 6.4 does and all the other new diesels.

I like this new truck way better!

The 6.4 has a catalytic converter and a diesel particulate filter and regeneration, but no urea injection.

I suspect the urea system will be set up similar to BMW's. Because urea is required to maintain low emissions, BMW (and MB I think) diesels will only start 5 times after the urea tank is empty. According to FORD, "most" Scorpion drivers will only have to refill urea at oil change intervals, some sooner. Think about running out of urea someplace inconvenient.

Ford's solution is 32.5% industrial urea. Will you be able to buy it over the counter? If you order a case, will Homeland Security be notified?

The Scorpion engine will be a $9,325 option!

Last edited:

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
The 6.4 has a catalytic converter and a diesel particulate filter and regeneration, but no urea injection.

I suspect the urea system will be set up similar to BMW's. Because urea is required to maintain low emissions, BMW (and MB I think) diesels will only start 5 times after the urea tank is empty. According to FORD, "most" Scorpion drivers will only have to refill urea at oil change intervals, some sooner. Think about running out of urea someplace inconvenient.

Ford's solution is 32.5% industrial urea. Will you be able to buy it over the counter? If you order a case, will Homeland Security be notified?

The Scorpion engine will be a $9,325 option!

I have often wondered this myself, and across the desolate parts of the country, lets say you run out of urea in eastern montanna whats gonna happen?? The regen process and heat involved is scary enough on its own..

STG

Banned
Well for 1 it's a shit ton more reliable than the 6.0 and 6.4's.... :poke:

Not mine. A V10 is okay if you don't tow,carry a load or care about 7mpg when you do. A V10 couldn't get out of its own way lugging a ton of shit!

Last edited:

03cobraFL

Established Member
That new diesel has urea injection and a diesel particulate filter with regeneration.

I'll keep my 2005.

Sorry for the dumb question but what exactly does all that mean? I'm very uneducated when it comes to Diesels.

Last edited:

STG

Banned
I have often wondered this myself, and across the desolate parts of the country, lets say you run out of urea in eastern montanna whats gonna happen?? The regen process and heat involved is scary enough on its own..

About the same thing that would happen in Death Valley or most of Wyoming or Alaska....if you don't have a satellite phone - pray. You won't be able to start the engine to keep cool or warm. Bring a space blanket,Tang, a rifle, food and plenty of ammo.

STG

Banned
Sorry for the dumb question but what exactly does all that mean? I'm very uneducated when it comes to Diesels.

Diesel emissions regulation is relatively new. My 2005 has a catalytic converter and the engine management system is way more complex than the old 7.3 liter Powerstrokes.

As emissions regulastion tightened for 2008, a catalytic converter was not enough. Crappier ultra low sulfer fuel was introduced and Ford's 6.4 (International-Navistar) was equipped with a DPF. The diesel pariculate filter traps soot. When full, the ECU triggers a regeneration cycle wherein more fuel is fed into the engine, exhaust temps rise and the soot is literally burned out of the filter. This process is computer controlled, and can happen while you are towing 12,000 lbs, up a steep grade (it reduces power). The 6.4 get worse mileage than my 6.0. The early ones could shoot 6 foot flames out of the exhaust piper during regen. Ford stopped szelling the 6.4 for a week or two until the problem was fixed.

Nox emissions have been reduced 80% for 2011 and the Scorpion needs a DPF plus urea injection. Industrial urea (it's what you think it is) is injected into the exhaust stream.

Basically, diesel emissions controls are about where gasoline engine smog controls were in the 1970s: It's going to take w while to figure.

Last edited:

JiggaStyles09

Established Member
so for the base 2011 F-150 ford is going to continue with the same basic 5.4 that has been the staple for so long (barring the raptor)?? i thought that they were giving the '11 F-150 the 6.2 liter too? guess they are reserving that just for SD & raptor :shrug: or am i missing something.

oh well, as long as ford can avoid chapter 11 i'll be happy lol.

Blk04Snake

Established Member
Doesn't look like a huge departure from the 08-10 to me? Bolder grille and looks like the brass is a fan of these fender vents/emblems for everything Ford. I just ordered a '10 the other day, and seeing this '11 I'm glad I did... The truck itself isn't a whole lot different at all, and I want to give them a year or three to figure these new engines out. Plus $2000 extra for the Scorpion? C'mon... not like the previous diesel engine option cost enough.

Users who are viewing this thread