The 2003 Mustang SVT Champcar Fastlap Pace car

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
I have had alot of guys ask for me to post pictures and tell a little about my car. There was a thread here about its availability, but not much facts or history. I also have a thread on Mountain High Mustangs and had one on the now defunct SVTE site. But it is high time I post it here, so here we go! Oh and P.S. If anyone here ever went to a Champcar race and went for a ride in my car, or has any pictures or stories of my car, PLEASE post them up!!!!!!!! First of all, I would like to give props to Sam (19cobra93) for knowing how big of a Champ Car fan I am and hookin me up with this one of a kind Cobra and NOT keeping it for himself. Second, After owning a bunch of Terminators, The Third time must be the charm as This is the Third Redfire Terminator I have owned.....its the only one that has run...many have come close tho.....very, very, close!
In 2003 Ford became the title sponser and sole engine supplier to the Champ Car World Series (the original Indycar series before the IRL joke) When Ford did this, they provided 5 SVT Flagship vehicles to act as Fastlap Pace Cars. These cars would take VIP's and such for hot laps around the track in between on track activities, and act as the actual pace car for the race at all of the races that took place.
These 5 SVT vehicles were jokingly dubbed "The Fabulous Five"
20030623P_0023.jpg

So when the Champcar World Series and the IRL merged, the IRL stayed the same and Champcar, in reality, just dissolved....very sad, it was a far better series and the racing has been lackluster since. All of Champcars assets were put up for auction. Timing, video, audio, cars, scooters, office equipment, semi's Featherlight trailers, a handfull of previous Pace Cars...all of it. Mysteriously missing from the auction list was the 5 SVT Pace cars. Their whereabouts were unknown until June when word on the street was that Miller Motorsports Park was selling some un-needed vehicles. Thanks to some slueth work by Aaron Stiles, and Sam(19cobra93), The Fabulous 5 were located. The Silver Coupe was purchased by two employees to use as a track car.
Photo provided by 91notchback
RACE259.jpg

The Sonic Blue convert was sold to a vendor of MMP for trade work.
P1010116.jpg

The status of the Lightning is unknown. We all know where the Redfire coupe has ended up! And last but not least....The 2003 Supercharged Sonic Blue Focus....It has now been sold and calls Portland its new home.
P1010107.jpg

Photo provided by 91notchback
RACE284.jpg

So sit back and enjoy The options and pictures of one of the Champcar Fastlap Pace Cars......
Fuel Safe Racing Fuel cell
Brembo Grand Turismo Front Brakes with two piece slotted rotors
Cobra "R" Front Brake Duct Kit
Full 6 point cage (Upholstered!)
5 point racing harness's
Kenny Brown Rear IRS diff cooler
Kenny Brown Camber Caster Plates
Kenny Brown Strut tower Brace
Kenny Brown style frame connectors and ladder system
Kenny Brown Driveshaft Loop
Kenny Brown Bump Steer Outer Tie Rod ends
Koni Yellow Coil over front and rear suspension
K&N FIPK kit
Fire suppression system
Whelen Track Strobe light system
One Gynormous Triangle shaped Hole in the roof for the aero Strobe Light
Custom designed catback to allow previously unheard of rear exit exhaust with Fuel cell and IRS
Master power kill system
PIC040.jpg

2006Toronto-6.jpg

SurfersLoad2.jpg

SurfersLoad6.jpg

SELLINGSTUFF006-1.jpg

9416_1183391144691_1225617361_30612.jpg

LAT200306140222_PVW.jpg

LAT200306140223_PVW.jpg

LAT200306140314_PVW.jpg

Last edited:

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
Video of a lucky guy getting a ride in my car at the San Jose Grand Prix in 2009
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-m0mT6VRD4&NR=1"]‪Pace Car Ride at the San Jose Grand Prix‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Wow, John, that is so neat. You're obviously thrilled about getting this car. A lot of great history that you've accumulated. And the mods on the car are awesome. Love the lowered stance with the coil overs, and the wheels are gorgeous. One question, though. You mentioned a triangular hole that was cut in the roof for the strobe light. Are you leaving the strobe light attached? I would assume you will, even though it would look a bit weird to those who don't know where the car came from. Awesome car, and best of luck with it.

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
Another luck fan riding in my car at the 2005 Toronto Grand Prix
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7Ca_345vWo&NR=1"]‪pace car ride‬‏ - YouTube[/nomedia]

Last edited:

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
As far as the triangle shaped hole.....apparently the original aero strobe was broken by the truck driver for Ford as he loaded the 5 pace cars to take back to Ford. I then found out that the lights themselves were one off custom lamps made by a company in Michigan to the tune of 2800 dollars each!!!!!!!! They had 13 cars, Toyota Solaras, Vipers, a Corvette, SVT Contours, the SVT Focus, and the two Cobras, with this same lamp....this gives you an idea of what kind of budget Champcar was running in its hey day.
My broken remains of a lamp
0923090955a.jpg

I dug and dug and finally found the man who built the cars and was over the Pace Car program, Joel Butland. He was a godsend and helped me track down a mint replacement lamp. But he warned, "This is the last one in existance so be careful with it!"
Now my car is looking more like her old self! All strobes will be functioning, and most decals will be done in magnetic. I would like to get it close to how it looked in 2006, Its last year as a pace car.
Pic260.jpg

Here she is recently with the new lamp and some of the decals
P1010010.jpg

DSC03455.jpg

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
awesome pick up! man id love to have grabbed that focus for a DD :burnout:

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
awesome pick up! man id love to have grabbed that focus for a DD :burnout:
I tried like crazy to move my DD, 2003 Mach 1, and buy the Focus. It had a Vortech supercharger and put down 250 hp to the rea...errr I mean front wheels. I have talked to the new owner and he LOVES it!!!

03sm3341

Established Member
Thanks for posting! I notice the car has bbs rk in several pictures. Do you know if it had the Brembo Grand Turismo Front Brakes which I think are 2000 cobra r's while it had the RK's. The reason I ask is I have the 2000 r brakes on my car and want RK's but they are'nt spose to fit with the RK's. And any more pics of the silver car? :beer:

I used to work at a place that im pretty sure was the champ car warehouse on the west side of indy. It always had champ car semi's sitting out side. I also heard stories of the champ car cobra's going up for sale. This was all back in 2007. It was off w. minnesota street in a business complex.

Last edited:

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
Thanks for posting! I notice the car has bbs rk in several pictures. Do you know if it had the Brembo Grand Turismo Front Brakes which I think are 2000 cobra r's while it had the RK's. The reason I ask is I have the 2000 r brakes on my car and want RK's but they are'nt spose to fit with the RK's. And any more pics of the silver car? :beer:

I used to work at a place that im pretty sure was the champ car warehouse on the west side of indy. It always had champ car semi's sitting out side. I also heard stories of the champ car cobra's going up for sale. This was all back in 2007. It was off w. minnesota street in a business complex.

The car had and still has the Brembo Grand Turismo brakes. I rounded up a set of RK's and they would not fit...I ask Joel about it and he said, "Oh yea, you have to run 50mm spacers, that is why the car has the extra long hardend studs. I am running those RK's on my Mach right now...I have a line on the RK's that were on my car originally so wish me luck.
As far as the Brembo brakes go, they are very simalar to the '00 Cobra R ones but they have the F40 Radial mount caliper like the FR500C cars have.
The story on the cars being for sale is that the five SVT cars were on loan to Champcar and when Ford pulled the plug in 2007, Ford took the 5 SVT cars back and sold these 5 cars for a dollar a piece. Champcar kept all of the other cars...Mustangs, Vipers, Ford GT and they all went to auction in June or July of 2008 when Champcar merged.
As far as pics of the silver car...
thumb4.jpg

Friday1-5.jpg

Last edited:

wvmystichrome

Established Member
That exhaust sounds so good in the first video. I wish my Cobra sounded like that. Congrats on the purchase. That is one nice car with history to boot.

mustangjohnny

Cobraholics anonymous
Established Member
Thanks! Being a huge Champcar fan, I remember seeing these cars pacing the races and thinking, "How cool that they are using Terminators!". I have had three Redfire(my favorite color) Terminators...all theft projects. The first one I could not get a title for and ended up parting it out, the second was too far gone, and the third I sold to buy a 1970 Mach 1. I swore I would never sell the '70...but when I found out about an ex Champcar Terminator was available, I had a tough decision to make...when I discovered it was Redfire that sealed the deal!
Johnny

BreBar21

Born in the G-Code
Established Member
Very cool thread. I remember when the first pictures of these cars surfaced years ago and the 90 posts that ensued trying to hunt down the manufacturer of the ever elusive color-matched light/roll bar.

BBS LM's are probably my favorite wheel ever and they look awesome on these cars!

Users who are viewing this thread