That's one ugly rear end!

MikeWads

Established Member
So... My car was up on the lift in my shop and my daughter came out and asked, "What's that big orange thing was in the back?" I told her its called the rear differential or pumpkin. She asked me, "Is it called a pumpkin because its orange?" I said probably.... LOL

Anyway, I decided I better go ahead and weld up my axle tubes before going to the track with sticky tires, so while it was out I gave the rear end a facelift. I knocked off all of the surface rust then primed and painted it. Also got a Ford Racing diff cover that I will be installing today.

YUCK!
20140121_165505-1.jpg

Nice...
20140123_111905-1.jpg

Welded axle tube
20140123_111457-1.jpg

Last edited:

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice!

I so kick myself in the ass every time I think about how I forgot to clean mine up and paint it when it was out of the car...got in a hurry trying to put it all back together and completely forgot about it :nonono:

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
In order to get the best results pulling the rear end out is a must, however when the warm weather hits i will be splashing on some por 15 on mine while its still the car. For me a show quality diff isn't that important, but to each his own! Nice work!

Gray5.0

Established Member
Get some pics with the rear diff! I'm thinking about ordering one too. Looks good so far you just stick weld the rear with 5p?

95PGTTech

Established Member
I've asked the same thing before and been accused of paranoia. FYI

I've seen it done by welding a few 1" sections and rotating the assembly so it can cool, but that's operating under the assumption that the tubes were properly aligned from the factory. Which is an extremely poor assumption in my experience.

kingnut

Established Member
Looks very good. It's funny because I'm so anal about my car I would do something like this. It just looks so clean.

MikeWads

Established Member
Looks GREAT!!!!! What kind of paint did you use?
I used some Krylon Rust Tough primer and Rust Tough Semi-Flat Black. Nothing fancy.

Get some pics with the rear diff! I'm thinking about ordering one too. Looks good so far you just stick weld the rear with 5p?
I'm going to snap a couple of more photos once I install the new Ford Racing Cover this evening. A Lincoln Power Mig 200 was used for the welding.

No jig.
1" welds on top, bottom, left, and right. Then filled in the gaps. My friends and I have been doing it this way on Mustangs for years without issue.

Dbzguy

Black Sheep Squadron
Established Member
I agree looks way better painted but wanted to know what the purpose was for welding the axle tubes?

kona 199

reese 1
Established Member
looks great.i feel bad now i bought a can of krylon last week and was waiting for a sunny day to spray the bare parts under the car now i see this.

Users who are viewing this thread