That High RPM Rush

99svtvert

New dyno on Sunday (2 pulls)
----------------------------------

The FR500 (4.6) Cobra made 2 pulls on Sunday. I wanted to see if the HP has stayed the same or increased a bit ??

I upped the rev-limiter to 7600 and pulled both times right up to 7600. Result; I made 1-2 more HP at 7600 (410 RWHP - DynoJet SAE), than 7250. Torque remains unchanged. It is so hard to imagine that the HP has not peaked with those heads, intake, and valvetrain by 7600.

No sounds of float, knocking, detonation, or anything unusual; just a roar. Aggressive !!!!!

I see Naz has raised his to 7750. I really believe that the combo will pull to 8000.

I am not willing to try that much yet and lowered my limiter to 7400; which, by the way, I hit everyday now. No issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Good Lord!!! Yeah, I see Naz's and your rpms and I can't imagine. LOL, in the 99 I keep a 6200 pill in the shift light just to remind me to keep the rpms low.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
That is seriously awesome and definately a fainthearted moment and feeling.

I once hit 7000 in 3rd gear during a shift (wasn't paying attention) and nearly had a shit that I had not experienced since my combat during the 1st Gulf War. What happened was that I had my dentist friend with me and we were testing some varying sparkplugs and upon pulling out his driveway, I gunned it as if I was street racing. Well, I had gotten to 3rd and soon after went to shift to 4th when I heard a large POP! I looked at my dentist friend and he grinned and said, "Dude, you know you just shifted at near 7000+, NOT good! *he was grinning his ass off the whole time being he IS the drag racer and not me*

Anyhow, I let off the gas, downshifted to 3rd and re-accelerated...to nothingness. The car would rev but not engage. End result was I thought I had blown the motor, being I did a near 7000+ shift. I coasted the car to a stop. for the car had shut off. I hit the parking brake, hit the hood pins, and started looking for the bad news....I figured the worst: busted belt, blown motor, etc. Once we quickly determined the problem, we looked at each other and laughed, though I was on step from literally shitting on my self....I had blown a power pipe clamp off. Fixed the problem in two minutes and was back down the road. Talk about a high RPM rush.

Last edited:

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
i used to take my car to 7K all the time before i got blown.

Now i try to keep her under 6600. I have bounced her off the limiter a few times on accident. Missed shift was the culprit...one other time in the burnout box but the car was not under boost (yes i can take my car to 7K without seeing any boost)

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Double"O" said:
i used to take my car to 7K all the time before i got blown.

Now i try to keep her under 6600. I have bounced her off the limiter a few times on accident. Missed shift was the culprit...one other time in the burnout box but the car was not under boost (yes i can take my car to 7K without seeing any boost)
out of curiosity, how do you do a burnout w/o eing in boost? it seems like throttle would have to be too aggressive to not be in boost.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
99riocobra said:
out of curiosity, how do you do a burnout w/o eing in boost? it seems like throttle would have to be too aggressive to not be in boost.

my line lock helps

but it really doesn't take alot of throttle..i rev it up to about 3-4K and dump the clutch and hold it between 3 and 4K until i see a nice rolling smoke from the DRs..i held it at 6k once in a burnout and never saw boost.

being that your tires are spinning it takes less throttle to keep the RPMs going up, kinda like when you rev it nuetral....it doesn't take much throttle to see alot of RPMs

Last edited:

SvtSmitty

Established Member
blksnake99 said:

The FR500 (4.6) Cobra made 2 pulls on Sunday. I wanted to see if the HP has stayed the same or increased a bit ??

I upped the rev-limiter to 7600 and pulled both times right up to 7600. Result; I made 1-2 more HP at 7600 (410 RWHP - DynoJet SAE), than 7250. Torque remains unchanged. It is so hard to imagine that the HP has not peaked with those heads, intake, and valvetrain by 7600.

No sounds of float, knocking, detonation, or anything unusual; just a roar. Aggressive !!!!!

I see Naz has raised his to 7750. I really believe that the combo will pull to 8000.

I am not willing to try that much yet and lowered my limiter to 7400; which, by the way, I hit everyday now. No issues.

sweeet!!!!!!!!!!!! a couple weeks more and my bigbore fr500 setup will be done also cant wait:-D

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
SanDiego01Snake said:
hell i take mine to 7000 and see 13 psi. tis a glorious feeling :)

indeed sir!!!!!

my blower quits makin power at 6600 so i have no need to go any further

99riocobra

i like ice cream
Established Member
Double"O" said:
my line lock helps

but it really doesn't take alot of throttle..i rev it up to about 3-4K and dump the clutch and hold it between 3 and 4K until i see a nice rolling smoke from the DRs..i held it at 6k once in a burnout and never saw boost.

being that your tires are spinning it takes less throttle to keep the RPMs going up, kinda like when you rev it nuetral....it doesn't take much throttle to see alot of RPMs
yea, that's true. never thought of it like reving in nuetral. i'm interested to see how that goes on my setup, seeing that i have not done a standstill burnout since the blower.

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
blksnake99 said:

That's way cool! What dyno did you run on and what are you using for tuning?

UCBeau

Double"O" said:
indeed sir!!!!!

my blower quits makin power at 6600 so i have no need to go any further
i suspect mine would make power to 8000 if i revved it that high..centris are good for that, at the very least.

elyrain

Established Member
Does anyone know what could be done, or done differently to see higher tq #'s in the fr500 build? Besides a bottle, lol.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Had mine on a DynoJet a few weeks ago. Stock motor run for baseline...only 6,200, but that DOHC-song put's a smile on your face. Over 7,000?? That has got to sound sick!!! More power-to-you, so to speak. Not sure if the extra 1-2 hp is worth the additional risk of 350 revs over peak power though. Like your taste in Vette's by the way.

Nazman

Established Member
The max with no Valve Float on the FR500 springs is o/a 7750RPMs, any higher you start playing with fire and its time to up-grade the springs.

The stock bottom end guys dont try that, the stock spring is good to o/a 72-7300RPMs with the stock cams but the rod bolts may not like that and the stock oil pump will hate it.

Billet Oil Pump Gears = Must
Up-graded Rods/Bolts = Must
Billet Timing Gear = Should
Quality Harmonic Balancer = Must

Some high rev 4vs? Check out the Modular Performance, Al-P, and VT race cars! They rock to 9000+!!!!

Here is a video of mine to o/a 7500RPMs shifts.

http://www.mightymustangs.net/~nazman/Naz's%2099%20at%20SAR.wmv

Naz

slick4_6

Established Member
If I remember right, Joe Lynch was turning his 8500. He didnt even have an fr500 intake, just a cut stocker.

wojowojo16

Established Member
I don't make any power after 6K, therefore I seldom shift after that.

I took it to 7K once in 3rd gear, cars runs pretty rich and backfired like crazy. :)

REX-RACER

Testing w/ the live data!
Established Member
wojowojo16 said:
I don't make any power after 6K, therefore I seldom shift after that.

I took it to 7K once in 3rd gear, cars runs pretty rich and backfired like crazy. :)

Is it the stock tune? If so that can be rectified w/ an aftermarket tune and you may make a little more power! ;-)

Edit: Forget that, I just saw you're ProCharged so I doubt you're on a stock tune! :idea:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread