That 1st day a boy falls in love with a car...

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Probably when I was around 12 and got to go for a ride in a friend of my Dads all original 67 fastback, and also back in 03 when I got a ride in a co worker of mines 86 Mercury Capri ASC Mclaren HCI.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Wow. I started reading your stories and decided I would multi-quote each good post and respond. By the time I got to this point in this thread, I realized I had damn near every post checked! :D

So instead, I sincerely wish to thank each of you for reading my post and taking the time to write such wonderful and heart felt posts. Plus, it was very reassuring to verify that I'm not the only certified car nut in the world. :D

Reading them all has me reaching for a rag and some spray on wax! I love good car stories!

96 cobra

Established Member
A friend's older brother had a 1st gen. eclipse GSX with a crazy turbo setup back in the early 90s.

It had zero power through most of the RPM range being off-boost, then all hell let loose & was able to be kept "on boil" through the remaining gears; what a rush!

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
You think we're all saps? I bet it wasn't really black. Probably more like Midnight Indigo Blue, I bet.

I still remember a cool day back in October first 1908. Ford introduced the Model T to the world. As soon as i saw it, i made a promise to myself to get one when i reached adulthood. The glossy black paint just made me stand in awe, 20 hp out of a 177ci engine was amazing. Fast forward to today and i have owned multiple ford products, some have come and gone.

Ah those were the days

Sladester2

Established Member
My grandpa bought a 67 firebird 400 ram air brand new, gave it to my dad, they restored it together, runs low 6s in the 8th now. My uncle has a procharged fox body. I have a ls1 ws6. We all love cars :)

va boy

Established Member
I've had a passion for cars for as long as I can remember. I grew up hearing stories about my Dad's 65 GTO, 389, 3 duces, 4 speed car. Sadly he sold it when I was born. I knew I had to gave one so I saved all my yard mowing money and bought my own 68 GTO in 1988, still have it. Along the way I picked up another 60's muscle car, and then the 03 Cobra, which is my modern day muscle car and is much, much better on gas, than the other 2 cars. The Cobra is great fun, but there is just something about getting behind the wheel of one of these 60's muscle cars, each one has it's very own personality. You either love it, or you don't, I honestly think it's something you're born with, hope at least one of my kids love cars too, I don't know what I'll do with these cars if they don't!

1wild-horse

Purveyor of missed information
Established Member
1979 Olds Cutlass Calias, v8 t tops bucket seats console shift. I was 10 and so was the car. It was my big bro's car and he gave me my first driving lesson. I was hooked. My first car? 1983 Olds naturally. Ditched the V6 for a 355 chevy w/ 305 h.o. heads and a turbo 350 auto. My Dad and I did the swap in our garage. I loved that car, wasn't anything more important to me. Quit playing football in high school to have more time to work and buy parts (and party). Hey, I had priorities...

silverstang84

Established Member
My uncle had a 89 iroc 5spd when I was about 5. I swore to myself I'd own one just like it someday.. Haven't gotten one yet..

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
The next "boy meets car" moment happened when I was eleven, and the next door neighbor drove home one day in a brand-new Plymouth Road Runner. I was rooted to the spot for hours, I couldn't stop looking at it. It looked like a fighter jet on wheels. A couple of years later the rotten, miserable SOB sold it. I asked him if he could just wait a few years until I was old enough to get a real job and I would buy it, any price he named, but the heartless bastard went and sold it!

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
My parents bought this when I was less than a year old, and still own it. I'm going to be 29-years-old this year. I was always destined to be a car guy...

2482180136_large.jpg

Last edited:

trc46

Layer of Pipe
Established Member
I remember when I was probably 5 or 6 my dad had a black 1970 Mach 1 with a 351 that car to me was the fastest thing in the world. I remember getting pulled over for like 100 in a 30 and the cop came up laughing calling my dad by his last name, they were high school buddies. The cop was super awesome and was talking to me about how much fun the car was, I was like it's faster than your car lol

RSbeast

Established Member
My parents bought this when I was less than a year old, and still own it. I'm going to be 29-years-old this year. I was always destined to be a car guy...

2482180136_large.jpg

Gorgeous 66.

My father had a 69 vert my entire life. It was always around but I don't think I knew it existed or remember until I was 8-10. He pretty much had quit driving it for about a decade once he had kids. Then it wasn't bright red so I wasn't all geeked. Eventually I grew quite fond of it and it was promised to me if I could get through college on my own or something to that fact. I never felt that was deserving but I always wanted it and being the first son I expected it to eventually be mine.

He randomly sold it one day while I was at work after 40+yrs of ownership. He still won't tell me who he sold it to as I'd try to get it back. I've bought my own 03 but it's not quite the same.

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
More great stories guys!

Went to Road Atlanta with my son this weekend. NARRA was having races over the weekend and at noon the Viper Club got to take their cars onto the track.

We drove the Viper up and met Jack North and many other wonderful members of the Georgia Club. My son rode with me for the first set of parade laps. Then he asked me if he could ride up front in the pace car, another very nice Viper. To my surprise, the guy had no problem with it. Boy did he get a thrill out of that. Not to mention seeing all the other great cars and the race cars.

We left in the early afternoon and went back to our hotel in Tucker, near Stone Mountain, got a nap at the hotel and as we were about to head out for dinner, someone told us we should go over to the car show. He said it was right there in Tucker and everyone was welcome. My son immediately got excited and grabbed a rag and said let's shine her up first! So he took one side and I the other. We got there late, but turned every head as we rolled in looking like black and chrome rolling sex! I revved the motor a couple of times with her loud purr just to make a point.

We parked the car and I was ready to go see all the other great cars. Not my son, he shinned on the Viper and kept her company showing her off to everyone he could. He even let little kids sit in her for their parents to snap a pic. Yep, there can be no doubt. My son loves this car!

I finally drug him away to see the other cars, showing and explaining to him what a rumble seat was, among many other cool car features I'm sure he'd never even heard of before.

It was a great day.... a great car day for a father and son!

photo_zpsc0f30575.jpg

Sick03Vert

Banned
I remember EXACTLY when I decided I was getting a Mustang.

I was 16. My family was driving back from a vacation in Florida. It was about midnight on loop 610 in Houston. I was sitting in the back seat of a Chevrolet Astro van staring out the window, unaware that my entire perspective on automobiles was about to change for the rest of my life.

Out of nowhere, and I mean nowhere, a SN95 body style Saleen roars past. If I close my eyes, I can still see the car...white with black writing...and hear it. I remember thinking, even at 16, that the sound of that car was one of the coolest noises I would probably hear in my lifetime. I also remember that, quite far behind, a Camaro Z28 was chasing it....but I couldn't tell you the color or what it sounded like. I was determined to get a Saleen.

The next day, not knowing shit about cars at this point, I phoned the local Ford dealer and said, "Hey...you guys got any Saleens?" The sales lady, which I remember was a lady, said, "Oh those are nice cars. We have one. In the showroom." I said, "What kind of engine does it have in it?" (Yes, I'm laughing at myself as I type this). She said, "Oh, don't get me started..it's a big one." I told her I was going to come by and check it out.

That's when she said, "You....DO know that the price on that car is (insert number...I THINK it was somewhere close to $45k-$50k..but don't quote me) right?" :eek::cryying:

After a moment of silence, I said, "So.....what exactly do you have in a base model?" :D

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is how I came to own a Mustang. Well.....I wound up with a 1981 4-banger with no A/C, primer, holes in the floorboard and a quarter million miles on it. BUT...it was a stick, and I learned to drive stick because of it. Plus...it was a Mustang, and when you're 16 and car-stupid, that's all you care about.

***Quick side story: When the Terminators came out, I went to Planet Ford here in Texas to check some out. They had about 8 black ones, all coupes, under a tent out front. I told the sales guy, "I will own one of these cars." He told me, "What do you need with all that power? You don't want that on your insurance." I remember looking him dead in the eye and saying, "I WILL own one of these before I die. It's going to happen, no matter what."

Fast forward to today...and as I sit here in the office, typing this and looking out my window at my 10th Anniversary coupe, I can't help but smile and mutter the words, "Told you." THAT.....is why I won't trade my car. Not because there aren't newer, better cars...even newer and better Mustangs....out there. But because, as a kid, this was my Ferrari. It is my Concorde moment....so it means more to me than any other car would.

Great stories guys...keep'em coming. :beer:

Stinger2011

Established Member
I started off in a 99 v6 mustang with tons of stickers. I thought it was fast at the time and liked to make a few 55-80 pulls whenever I was feeling down about something. For some reason driving "fast" made me better.

My dad actually picked the car out for me because he thought it looked better than the mustang gt fox body another guy in the area was trying to sell. Now, looking back, it was probably the better choice for a teenager, but I think I would rather have had the gt. Lol.

I ended up letting my sister use it after my dad picked out my 02 firebird formula in 09 and that's when I really became interested in cars. I loved that car when I first got it and I still do. I don't plan on getting rid of it, especially after my dad passed away in august.

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
I can't recall the exact moment I wanted a hotrod but I've pined for a 66-67 GTO since I was a kid. I will own one somebody.

TGR96

Established Member
When I was a kid, probably about 9-10 years old, my dad took me to Talladega for a NASCAR race. This was this first car I can recall "falling in love with." I have been a car guy ever since.

800px-Darrell_Waltrip_1978.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread