That 1st day a boy falls in love with a car...

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member

For me, it was in 1974 when I saw the movie Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. The Trans An scene:

[video=youtube;43xKb84xqnM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43xKb84xqnM[/video]

That scene changed my life forever. I've loved muscle cars ever since. And since I was 17 I've always had a performance car to one degree or another up and unto this very day.

My youngest son is 13. He's always seen me with performance cars. He went with me to the salt flats when he was almost 6 and was there with me when I set my first land speed record. And he has seen many nice cars before and since. And in this time he has been totally indifferent to my cars and my passion for them. But something has changed.

Two weeks my dream car arrived. A Black 2008 Dodge Viper Coup with Silver stripes. Only 11 of these of 1500 Vipers made that year.

Leading up my purchase, he has seen me endlessly searching the web, looking at cars, making phone calls. And again, taking no interest.

Then she arrived.... More importantly, I gave him a ride. :D

Yesterday evening, just as I was getting in bed, my son came and insisted I go with him. He had a surprise for me.

To the garage we went where he proudly showed me that he had waxed and polished the Viper.

I was taken aback.

Had he done this to win my favor? Was he about to ask for a new video game? Or was he about to announce some trouble he had gotten into and he was trying to soften the inevitable impact of an upset parent? As I finished a slow appreciative walk around the car, having such thoughts, I finally looked up into his eyes and instantly found my answer:

He loved this car.

God bless his soul.

Last edited:

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
It was 1967, I was six years old, and Dad came home one night in a '67 GTO. It was love at first sight, for me. It was red, it was loud, it smelled like gasoline and burning rubber, and it was FAST! He took me for a ride in it and that was it, I was hooked for life. I can't say I ever even noticed cars before that.

A few years later we were coming back home from a summer vacation in Michigan, and a piston let go. He pulled into a Pontiac dealership and we drove off in a Grand Prix. I remember telling Dad we should keep the GTO, but he didn't. It broke my heart.

For me, it was in 1974 when I saw the movie Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. The Trans An scene:

T's03GT

#Team5bro
Established Member
I'll never forget the day I got my car.

We went to test drive another car, which gladly they had sold the day before because it was an automatic 2v, and I had remembered seeing my black car sitting on the lot from when we had went looking before. When they pulled it around, and I heard that sexy 2v sound I instantly fell in love with the car and had to have it. Ended up buying it that day.

I fell in love with cars in general though the first time I saw my uncles FD RX7, to this day he still has it which he bought brand new, and I will own it one day.

97cobra...

Established Member
The car that did it for me was a 69 nova my dad spent 9 years restoring/modding the car until it finally got its transplant a bbc 427 I'll never forget the day I got to drive it I was scared of it in a hood way

1hot281

Established Member
For originally getting me in to cars, I think it was a combination of Knight Rider and Transformers in the '80s... Which planted the seed at a young age to view cars as more than just a thing. To see a character and personality in them. From there, it was easy to fall in love with performance cars once I got a bit older.

My dad had an early 70s Firebird. My uncle had a 1st gen Camaro and a Nova. I knew I wanted a muscle car by middle school. I wanted a third gen Camaro IROC-Z with t-tops, or a red convertible fox body GT with white interior, so bad I couldn't stand it.

My first car was a Caprice coupe, but I finally ended up getting a black LT1 powered 4th gen Z28 when I was 17. I loved that car. I talked to that car. Sometimes I just sat in that car in the garage... For hours... Just taking in the smells and feeling. Every time I started that LT1 and heard the growl from the Flowmaster, I couldn't help but smile. It didn't do too bad with the girls in high school in those days either... 4th gens were still brand new at the time.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Nobody I knew, and no living family members ever had a badass car, so I wasn't into cars, still aren't. I do love mustangs tho but not working on anything.

I love going fast, in anything tho.

I grew up around farming, aviation and cranes lol.

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
id have to say the "General Lee" or Bandit's TA! :rockon::burnout:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
When I was probably 14, my older sister was dating a guy and he had a 928s. It was black with gold BBS rims. He took me for a ride and it was the sweetest sound I had ever heard and the power was so smooth. I was blown away. They were together for a few years and I got to drive it when I turned 16. Greatest drive of my life even though I almost wrecked it. Swore for years I would eventually own one - but I'm just not willing to take one on mechanically at this point and while the exterior is classic, the interior has not aged well at all. Still - maybe someday if I come across the right one....

Niks97cobra

Ready to Go!
Established Member
Mine was I was about 5. The neighbor's fiance bought here a brand new IROC. I was in love with that car until I saw my 1990 coupe over a decade later.

svtaddict

Established Member
my father was a mechanic and when i was young he had an 82 notch 5.0 we used to work on oddly enough i was never interested in cars. he used to make me help him. one day we went to go hook up some shifter linkages on a 68 ss malibu with a tiny little 283 in it. guy asked if i wanted a ride so i said yes. man that little 283 pulled hard and i was hooked.

RSbeast

Established Member
My first love was the 1957 Chevy Bel Air.

My uncle used to have one years before I was born. I'm not sure if he showed me a picture or what. That was love #1. Probably the age of 2 or less. I have been extremely, fanatically attached to cars since then.

D93E0C45-4832-4282-9061-7264F3140FA6_zpsudwe0sn2.png

ViciousJay

Established Member
my 99 WS6, i still remember driving it home the day i got and got pulled over for it having tints... god i loved that car

RSbeast

Established Member
Black WS6 was the first car I legitimately lusted over.

I finally bought an 02 black/black 6spd WS6 a little over a year ago. I wish I could've had it back in highschool when it was new.

Hurt SO bad flipping it towards my corvette. The vette is a much better car; but it's not nearly as 'cool'.

I only drove it 3 times. Bought it right before winter. Blizzard hit as I was still doing cleanup on it. I sold it right after my 30th birthday in March for a good profit. Had my midlife early :/

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
For as long as I can remember I wanted a "fast" car. General Lee was my first love but when I was 5 or 6 my uncle bought a black 85 Trans Am. Looking back, it only had a 305 TBI and would be very slow by today's standards but compared to the vans everyone else had at the time, it looked badass and it was fast. He then got a red 94 Z28 (unfortunately it was automatic) when I was 12 or 13 and that thing seem like a rocketship.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
I still remember a cool day back in October first 1908. Ford introduced the Model T to the world. As soon as i saw it, i made a promise to myself to get one when i reached adulthood. The glossy black paint just made me stand in awe, 20 hp out of a 177ci engine was amazing. Fast forward to today and i have owned multiple ford products, some have come and gone.

Ah those were the days

john_anch_ak

1968 and it was Steve McQueen in the best car chase scene ever. Yeah, he actually drove both cars in the movie, no stunt man had any fun! The 1968 "Bullet" fastback Mustang!
I was 13 going on 14 when this movie came out.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
By ten years old I already liked cars but when a neighbor bought a 1963 Split Window Coupe Stingray I fell in love.
And even though I was only ten he let me drive it since I was already driving my dads 1959 Bugeye Sprite and was fine with manual transmissions.

I've wanted one ever since, but I just refuse to pay 100K for one.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
Reading this thread make me feel young, geez.

The family went to Cali in the summer of 2002, while there a cousin of mine took me for a ride in his new edge GT. I can't remember if it was stock or modded but that did it for me, I bought a new edge GT the next year after that. What's weird is my dad is a mechanic and even teaches auto mechanics at a vo tech school. He had a race car and we went to the track a lot as kids, I still really wasn't into cars that much. Riding in that GT ruined my life!

Users who are viewing this thread