Th400

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Is anyone running a th400 in there car? If so where did you get it? Price? What driveshaft are you running? Really thinking about going auto but dont really want to go glide or 6r80. What all would i need with the trans to get it to work in my car?

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Unless your building a low 8 sec car, go with the 6r80! This trans impresses me over & over! It awesome to set the cruise at 75mph down the E way on a 9sec car. Strongest trans Ford has made.

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Unless your building a low 8 sec car, go with the 6r80! This trans impresses me over & over! It awesome to set the cruise at 75mph down the E way on a 9sec car. Strongest trans Ford has made.

Very correct. So whats the power adder and the goals OP?

JTS_7

Established Member
Assuming Paxton by his signature.

I would just go 6r80, although you may have to source all the correct parts and go to ford to get everything working right it's worth it.They are very stout/efficient/proven, especially if you are still utilizing the factory copperhead ecu.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
I'm about to install a cpr turbo kit. I plan to make 1200 hp and mostly street race. I'm worried that a 6r80 won't be able to handle the abuse. And for cheaper I can go th400 that can hold 1500 wheel.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
Well here's the deal.

Both transmissions will eventually put you in a 1:1 ratio so streetability is about equal. If you had a blower car where you were focusing on keeping the rpm's up (like a paxton or procharger) I would recommend you go with a Th400. They work really well with that setup .

Turbo cars however like load. They like to be lugged down and they don't need to be spun out to make power because they make a ton of torque. Also that fact that the car will have a 1.8 first gear allows you to practically leave with EVERYTHING on the starting line. There's a reason we've been doing a ton of powerglide conversions lately. They work well, they hold the power and they go fast.

Below is a list of the fastest turbo coyotes -

1.Frank Varela-76mm single-7.59@184mph (powerglide)
2.Justin Burcham-JPC single-7.59@183mph (powerglide)
3.Chris Escobar-custom twins-7.86@176mph (unsure)
4. Lance Rainey-JPC single-7.98@169mph (powerglide)
5.Bud Sell-Fluid twins-8.16@170mph (powerglide)
6.Haley James-Precision single-8.17@166mph (powerglide)
7.Jeremiah Hussey-Armeggedon [email protected] (powerglide)
8.Brent Roberson-Cust.twins-8.39@164mph (unsure)
9.Dasan Holloway-CPR single-8.47@165mph (powerglide)
10. Jamie Purvis-JPC single-8.48@165mph (powerglide)

CPRsm

It will be the same as the glide. Both final gears are 1-1. The fastest Coyote runs a T400. It's always a debate on which is best. 400's are nice for the street because it takes less engine to propel the car. There is more torque multiplication. 400's are also easier to get the stall correct for a given setup. I really like them better because you can gear them to race like a glide for gears 1-2, and use 3rd for OD. Glides are popular because they are lighter, cheaper and rob less power.

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
Ok what's better for roll racing I know I know rolls are gay blah blah bit really what would be better for like Texas invitational or runway rivalry? I will still do digs but I like doing both. I guess you could say I'm bi...... lol

Dizzyscure1

Established Member
Ok what's better for roll racing I know I know rolls are gay blah blah bit really what would be better for like Texas invitational or runway rivalry? I will still do digs but I like doing both. I guess you could say I'm bi...... lol

IDK honestly, But I'm keeping my 6R80 not giving up the street-ability of it for my build. Ur gonna wanna pick one or the other man, Roll race with that much power vs dig with that much power will require different gears.

What works in the 1/4 mile not work the best in a 60-200+ race.

Last edited:

nsty4vlve

Got Boost?
Established Member
With a good rear end and a good converter it shouldn't be to bad. I could be wrong tho. I wanted a 6r80 for a long time but I just feel it won't handle big power very long before it becomes a 5k dollar paper weight.

Users who are viewing this thread