TH400 Swap

Big Q

Established Member
Been considering this route for my car for a while, currently a MT82 car with upgraded McLeod clutch and all the goodies. Haven't had any issue with the transmission even now that it's turbo'd knock on wood, but I'm still considering doing a TH400 swap. I know the 6R80 is a good auto trans while retaining od but with the cost, programming and headaches I would do the TH400 instead so please keep this thread clear of 6R80 suggestions. Anyone here done the TH400 swap, pro's/con's, did you one stop shop for all the parts needed from Rossler or Jakes performance or did you have to piece it all together?

corepwn

Established Member
Would love more info on this, in case I dump my stocker into a project car. I'd want a TH400 behind it for the same reasons.

RAZRS EDGE

Stay Humble
Established Member
It's not a difficult swap. Price depends on what kind of TH400 you want to build.

Just some of the basics that you'll need:
TH400 of your choice
Bell housing
Flex plate
Converter with adapter hub
Dip stick
Shifter + cable
Crossmember
Driveshaft + yoke
Cooler + teflon lines/fittings (application dependent)

FYI - Can't speak for everyone as I've only done one swap on this platform but my transmission tunnel needed some "massaging" in a few areas for clearance.

Last edited:

twwhite87

Established Member
I plan on going with the JPC 4R70W swap. From everything I've researched that is the most complete kit I found. Plus I have heard nothing but great things about JPC.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
A damn near bulletproof turbo 400 can be built for about $1500. Do the rest of the conversoin pieces really cost that much?

onefastmf

Established Member
what about a 4L80 swap? basically a electronic controlled turbo 400 with od. For myself i love a good shifting electronic trans. They make some nice controllers for them too. someone also makes a manual valve body if you wanted to shift yourself.

Bud

Established Member
I've got a complete Th400 swap package for $5600

As always we make trans swap's easy :)

A good deal to get everything needed and parts proven to work, fit, etc. I pieced mine together way back when, but would have been nice to order up everything from one place to take the guess work out of it.

A damn near bulletproof turbo 400 can be built for about $1500. Do the rest of the conversoin pieces really cost that much?

A bulletproof 400 for what weight/power? The rest of the conversion parts add up very quickly. $5600 is a good deal for all the pieces, keeping in mind it's a simple one shot deal from the same company, who has done the swap before and knows what works.

FYI - Can't speak for everyone as I've only done one swap on this platform but my transmission tunnel needed some "massaging" in a few areas for clearance.

A buddies th400 seemed to fit with less massaging than the powerglide in mine did.

Last edited:

Big Q

Established Member
It's not a difficult swap. Price depends on what kind of TH400 you want to build.

Just some of the basics that you'll need:
TH400 of your choice
Bell housing
Flex plate
Converter with adapter hub
Dip stick
Shifter + cable
Crossmember
Driveshaft + yoke
Cooler + teflon lines/fittings (application dependent)

Interesting, I was under the impression the TH400 fit without massaging the trans tunnel, one of the reasons I decided not to use the 4L80E was I heard it was a real pain to fit...

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member

Bullet proof for a 300hp chevelle is a little different then a 1000+ rwhp car that weights 3700lbs.

With our packages we include an SFI bell housing, PTC converter, driveshaft (we have all the measurements), shifter, trans cooler, fittings, trans mount, flex plate, and literally everything else you need for the conversion. The transmissions we offer are built by Transmission Specialties, setup for a 1000+ rwhp car.

If your going to do it, do it right the first time

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Bullet proof for a 300hp chevelle is a little different then a 1000+ rwhp car that weights 3700lbs. .........

If your going to do it, do it right the first time

For a smart guy, thats a pretty ignorant comment. A factory stock TH400 is rated at 450 lb/ft in a one ton 7000lb commercial truck. Also you do realize an old chevelle outweighs a new mustang right?

You guys are in a business to make money and thats fine, but near $6k for a 400 swap into one of these cars is crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Bud

Established Member
For a smart guy, thats a pretty ignorant comment. A factory stock TH400 is rated at 450 lb/ft in a one ton 7000lb commercial truck. Also you do realize an old chevelle outweighs a new mustang right?

You guys are in a business to make money and thats fine, but near $6k for a 400 swap into one of these cars is crazy. Absolutely crazy.

Might want to slow down that call of ignorance there. A th400 in a one ton truck means absolutely nothing when talking about the abuse one takes launching off a transbrake to the tune of 1.2x 60's, holding together, and making shifts under the RPM/Power our cars can make.

Also you do realize the early chevelles had a curbweight of 3100-3200lbs?

Some people have almost that much into just their transmission. I'll repeat it, after being through it, $5600 for the kit/support/knowledge is not a bad deal at all. I and others that have been through it are probably just ignorant though, carry on.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
^^ you keep drinking that cool aid and throwing away your money. Its not my money so go for it.

A truck hauling 12k every day of every week is abusing a trans FAR MORE than the guy who thinks he makes 1000 hp and hits the strip once a month. Believe it or not, this truck is launching from a stop and shifting through the gears as well.

A th400 will take 7-800 hp with nothing more than upgraded clutches and soft parts. Getting to 1000 takes a little more, but not thousandS more.

But hey... we can agree to disagree.

Users who are viewing this thread