Texas title question

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I have a body in white (No VIN) project car I have built over the course of 4 years.
I built the car in Florida and it is now complete.
I spoke to Florida DOT (2 years ago in person) and they told me just to have receipts
for major components (Body, engine block, air bags, etc.) which I have.
Now I have been out of work since last year and accepted a new job in Texas,
and am bringing the car there with me.
Will Texas allow me to get a title in a similar fashion as Florida would?
Link to Fl. DOT.

". "Assembled from parts" means a motor vehicle or mobile home assembled from parts
or combined from parts of motor vehicles or mobile homes, new or used.
"Assembled from parts" does not mean a motor vehicle defined as a "rebuilt vehicle" in subparagraph 3.,
which has been declared a total loss pursuant to s. 319.30. "

Any help or guidance from Texas LEO or anyone familiar with the process would be appreciated.

Car (body) as purchased in 2005:

IMG_0248.gif

Car as it sits now:

DSCI0009.gif

"

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
I've seen this come up on the Cobra replica forums before. This is a good post detailing the steps you have to take in Texas. It should be similar for your car.

Club Cobra - View Single Post - Texas registration - engine age

As Adam said, it may be easier to do in Florida since they don't have motor vehicle inspections.

Edit: Didn't see you requested LEOs. Delete if you think appropriate Adam.

Last edited:

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
LEO not necessary, but good info, thanks for the link.
My new employer is a group of car dealerships, so I am hoping they can help me.
Since it is a 2004 body (Ford manufactured) and not a kit car,
I am unsure if that will make it easier of more difficult.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
This is not my cup of tea. I suggest you contact someone with the Texas Department of Public Safety "Motor Vehicle Theft Division." Those guys deal with this stuff on a daily basis. You will also need to get it registered/inspected here in Texas. You have thirty days to get this done, same goes with your driver license. I believe all you need to do is take the eye exam at a Texas DPS driver license office.

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
I didnt see such a request either. :beer:
I edited it to ask for LEO or anyone familiar with the process.
So far very helpful.
This is not my cup of tea. I suggest you contact someone with the Texas Department of Public Safety "Motor Vehicle Theft Division." Those guys deal with this stuff on a daily basis. You will also need to get it registered/inspected here in Texas. You have thirty days to get this done, same goes with your driver license. I believe all you need to do is take the eye exam at a Texas DPS driver license office.

The car has no VIN, as it was a brand new body from FRPP 4 years ago.
(I used it for development)
It is driveable, but I do not drive it yet.
(I also have my normal Mach 1)
Once I get to Texas, I will be able to do whatever is needed.
I am actually looking forward to being there.

Iceman II

Right Behind You!
Established Member
10-4, I am thinking the Motor Vehicle Theft Division may assign it a new VIN number. But, like I said, its not my cup of tea. Good Luck and welcome to the great state of Texas.

txyaloo

Established Member
10-4, I am thinking the Motor Vehicle Theft Division may assign it a new VIN number. But, like I said, its not my cup of tea. Good Luck and welcome to the great state of Texas.

I believe you can use the VIN from the engine block if it has one and if the car doesn't have a stamped vin plate.

If there is no vin anywhere on the car, you'll need to fill out this form and present it to the county tax assessor/collector when you get here.

http://www.cctexas.com/files/g23/VTR-68-A.pdf

You'll be asking for an assigned VIN.

It's part of the Texas transportation code.

Texas Transportation Code - Section 501.033. Assignment Of Identification Number By Department - Texas Attorney Resources - Texas Laws

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
I bought the engine block new from Ford racing.

very nice looking car. What part of Texas are you moving to? Hopefully you bought the engine that is emissions compliant. Not all of Texas has emissions but the major cities and the surrounding counties do. Austin and the surrounding counties have the sniffer test.

Hmbre97

Eaton powered
Established Member
very nice looking car. What part of Texas are you moving to? Hopefully you bought the engine that is emissions compliant. Not all of Texas has emissions but the major cities and the surrounding counties do. Austin and the surrounding counties have the sniffer test.

Sniffer is for OBD1 only but don't know if any there are any special circumstances for "assembled from parts" cars.

Users who are viewing this thread