Texas Mile

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
I have registered to run 1995 Cobra R #77 in the Texas Mile in March. I hate to drop that kind of money on an event where I won’t get much track time and only go in a straight line (hopefully) but it’s too close to home to not try it at least once. I’m going to be WAY underpowered compared to a lot of cars out there but it should still be fun.

So what do you guys think it will run? The original team owner told me it did 167/168 alone at Daytona in GS trim but of course that is not a standing mile. Theoretically it should be making more power than it was back in the day. Here is my current setup.

1995 Cobra R
Speedvision Cup GS Spec plus:
AFR 185’s
Extrude Honed Upper
FTI Ported Lower
FTI Custom Cam (560ish Lift)
T56 2.97/1st .62/6th 6 Speed
3.73 Rear Gear

flattrack53

Established Member
What kind of power are you estimating? What does the car weigh with you in it? There use to be a link to a site when they were running the Maxton Mile in NC that you could calculate all of your info in to give you an estimate.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Any power estimate that I have would be more of a guess. If memory serves me correct its about 3400lb wet but I weighed it 10yrs ago so who knows how accurate that memory is. Those calculators require facial and drag numbers that are unknown to me. Plus all that takes some of the fun out of the discussion.

Saleenrose

Established Member
I have run in Idaho a 2 mile event in my GT500, I know not the R but HP really helps, I don't think wieght is as much as drag. Cars with around 350ish rwhp at 6800ft ran around 160. I also thought how boring is that but I have customers that paid the first year for me so I went, and now I am paying to go. Tha funest part is running speeds faster than I had ever gone on track or off, and beating those much more expensive and "much faster cars", with the old family cruiser.

Cobra R Man

IMSA RACE CAR
Established Member
Todd,

What is the date and cost? I've always wanted to do it.
I almost signed up at Maxton once(had an entry#), but just didn't have enough drive I guess.

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Gene, its March 22-24 and $285 for two days $385 for three days.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
I did 176 in my FGT, a couple years ago, at tex mile when at Golaid. I did not hear of anyone going faster in a stock GT, (no pulley or tune). it was about 100 deg.... Be surprised if 168 was possible in one standing mile (vs rolling start, or 2 mile open event)

Throwing a guess out there.... 168mph.

Last edited:

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
Your O/D ratio is going to kill you. Whatever your top speed is in 4th is about your max in a mile. My guess....145. Sorry Todd.

Tom

tomshep

Another R Addict
Established Member
You realize two weeks later is TWS at College Station with Track Guys?

I am running Track Guys.

Where is this happening?

Tom

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
I have run in Idaho a 2 mile event in my GT500, I know not the R but HP really helps, I don't think wieght is as much as drag. Cars with around 350ish rwhp at 6800ft ran around 160. I also thought how boring is that but I have customers that paid the first year for me so I went, and now I am paying to go. Tha funest part is running speeds faster than I had ever gone on track or off, and beating those much more expensive and "much faster cars", with the old family cruiser.

Got any info about that event?

Ruslow

Established Member
I have not run the TX 1mile but do open road events and can say 155 will be tough to get.2 big variables here are HP level and wind.I know goliad had wicked cross winds and unless you have a tail wind i can see much more than 155.If you want to have alot of high speed fun and turn the wheels left and rite also might look into this Big Bend Open Road Race I have been doing this typ of event for 12 years and don't plan on stopping anytime soon.STan

CobraR77

IMSA R Fanatic
Established Member
Your O/D ratio is going to kill you. Whatever your top speed is in 4th is about your max in a mile. My guess....145. Sorry Todd.

Tom

I'm running a T56:

4th - 1.1
5th - .80
6th - .62

My Tremec 5spd was running a .80 5th.

You realize two weeks later is TWS at College Station with Track Guys?

I am running Track Guys.

Where is this happening?

Tom

I'm going to try to run both but I'll see how the mile goes first before I commit to TWS.

The Texas Mile is run in Beeville. You should bring your R out also even if you only ran for one day.

Nitrous SSC

Established Member
Should pull fine through the gears. I short shifted into 5th at the salt flats and 5th pulled fine for me with a .68OD.

With that T-56 he'll keep chugging along great in 5th!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Todd,
I don't have a clue.

The last time that I raced vintage at Daytona (HSR); my car got real light at about 120-130 Mph. The car started moving around with little steering response. :dw: The air pouring under the metal hood was making it shake...I got a little nervous ;-) . I think Gary got a Mustang (by GPS measurement) to ~168. The driver was a former pro driver and admitted that the car was really moving around.

I did 176 in my FGT, a couple years ago.
That is a super car with proper down force.:-D

I say just have fun and be safe.

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
176 was a non event, stable as can be. The turbo guys in the 220's are completely stock aero. The 260 plus guys have very little aero mods. Stable cars, nothing like a stock fox body at 120....

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
176 was a non event, stable as can be...
Says the guy with a Ford GT. :-D This thread would be Mustang guys that are doing their best. :-D

The Ford GT has a little tech from the Lola T70 and the Ford GT40 which dominated racing for many years.

LolaT70a.gif

Yes, I could make a Lola T70 go fast. ;-)

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Indeed it does, and were driven during the development of the gt. mustang cobra r guy here that happens to have used the gt for the mile..... The mile was fun, but now out of my system. Much prefer road racing over any straight line.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Indeed it does, and were driven during the development of the gt.

I understand.

The Lola, as shown, obviously has a Holman-Moody sticker on it. Here:

Holman Moody was for years the official racing contractor for Ford. We prepared GT Mark IIs, A/FX Mustangs, Shelby Cobras, Falcons, and Stock Cars. We raced in NASCAR, sports car racing, drag racing, rallys, and ocean boat racing.

Holman Moody had the best drivers in the world; men like: Fred Lorenzen, Mark Donohue, Bobby Allison, Ronnie Bucknum, Parnelli Jones, Ned Jarrett, Walt Hansgen, Peter Revson, David Pearson, Nelson Stacy, Al Unser, Joe Weatherly, Cale Yarborough, Dan Gurney, A. J. Foyt, Bo Ljungfeldt, Mario Andretti, Jim Clark, Junior Johnson, Dick Hutcherson, Augie Pabst, Richard Petty, Fireball Roberts, Curtis Turner, and Bobby Unser.

| Holman Moody|

Users who are viewing this thread