texas mile, damn good fun!

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
i went to the texas mile this past weekend and had a chance to meet alot of nice gt500 folks and i managed to meet a few members. this is a whole different kind of racing and for the most part it was uneventful. there were a few flames and one bad wreck but the driver was ok. a porsche that spun out around or before the 3/4 mark and was logged at 201 mph. jbstevens, a friend and member on here, with his compound tt ford gt set the record for the gts at 226 mph.:beer:

i did not get to run until sunday, saturday i was lined up but a gt500 was shooting flames which ended up slowing it down until dark. i ran it out easy through 6th gear and had gotten to 175 mph. the second run i decided to let her eat and i was trying to cross the mile in 5th when i heard a tremendous pop, i looked in the rear view to see if i was smoking. came down the return lane and all was fine, decided to call it quits and drove home. that run was going to yield a very good mph in my mind so although i was bummed i still was excited to go that fast. i was suprised at how well the car was planted to the track at those speeds!

all in all it was great and it was nice to meet van and john lund along with the crew from san antonio:beer:

here is the link to my brother's shots and he has many more to process!

Flickr: distorto's Photostream

4025802845_1989de6c0e_o.jpg

4025802757_6354267270_o.jpg

4026555980_0761c439bf_o.jpg

this is where the porsche went off of the track
4026889554_a99c2fe80b_o.jpg

who knew you could ride 3 in a vette?!?

4025923691_b64d8b520d_o.jpg

4026676528_a3d99280fa_o.jpg

Last edited:

Van@RevanRacing

i went to the texas mile this past weekend and had a chance to meet alot of nice gt500 folks and i managed to meet a few members. this is a whole different kind of racing and for the most part it was uneventful. there were a few flames and one bad wreck but the driver was ok. a porsche that spun out around or before the 3/4 mark and was logged at 201 mph. jbstevens, a friend and member on here, with his compound tt ford gt set the record for the gts at 226 mph.:beer:

i did not get to run until sunday, saturday i was lined up but a gt500 was shooting flames which ended up slowing it down until dark. i ran it out easy through 6th gear and had gotten to 175 mph. the second run i decided to let her eat and i was trying to cross the mile in 5th when i heard a tremendous pop, i looked in the rear view to see if i was smoking. came down the return lane and all was fine, decided to call it quits and drove home. that run was going to yield a very good mph in my mind so although i was bummed i still was excited to go that fast. i was suprised at how well the car was planted to the track at those speeds!

all in all it was great and it was nice to meet van and john lund along with the crew from san antonio:beer:

here is the link to my brother's shots and he has many more to process!

Flickr: distorto's Photostream

4025802845_1989de6c0e_o.jpg

4025802757_6354267270_o.jpg

4026555980_0761c439bf_o.jpg

this is where the porsche went off of the track
4026889554_a99c2fe80b_o.jpg

who knew you could ride 3 in a vette?!?

4025923691_b64d8b520d_o.jpg

4026676528_a3d99280fa_o.jpg

I had an awesome time and it was great meeting you too James. Propane is God's Fuel! Your bro took some awesome pics! The GT500 on fire is wicked looking.

We gotta get your TT into the 200+ mph club. That'll be bad ass.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
it is in her for sure van.

the consensus is that i hit the rev limiter:shrug: it was unlike any rev limiter noise i have felt or heard but i was so paranoid it may have been worse than i remember..lol.. my brother has a shot of that pass i am waiting for him to post. believe it or not, the red car started right up and i believe they said the driver did not even know it was burning and he never lifted. i am not sure if my bro got the shots but there was a tt lambo that had a flame the size of the car coming from it. he was going so fast the flame was not even touching the car, about a foot behind it, when he popped the chute it just burned off!

for you speed guys, the mile is just insane and these cars are right at home going that fast!

Spitfire_GT

Back in the saddle
Established Member
Awesome report. This event is one of my goals for the car. No number in mind, I just want to do the event and run the car.

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
run the truck, lmao!

this event has me planning on a new build for this car that will require a new motor and bigger turbos! van, start getting those gears turning in your brain!

i expected a certain number but like i said, it was a whole new experience that got me hooked! the mile is an absolute blast:beer:

Awesome report. This event is one of my goals for the car. No number in mind, I just want to do the event and run the car.

i am not big into the subaru stuff but my brother is, the photographer, and he said that the record was broke this weekend at 189 mph. also there was a vw box of some sort that ran 208 mph.

Last edited:

SLGT750

Established Member
Looks like a great time! Just one question in the first pic of the red GT500 on fire how fast was he going for the hood to lift that much?:eek:

sgt d

tejas mile!!!!!!!!
Established Member
i am not sure what his speed was but ALL of the gt500's raised like that:nonono: if you think your hood dances at 80 then the pictures really make you scratch your head..lol.. my hood did the same thing and every picture i saw, they ALL did that!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
this is a characteristic of all S197s. might want to get some hood pins for mile/top speed runs. in their first race in grand-am(now the koni challenge series), one of the multimatic mustangs lost a hood on the straightaway of daytona.

97desertCobra

Procharged!
Established Member
What a cool event! This deffinately something I want to get into. Of course I dont have the $$$ yet to get into this kind of racing yet, but maybe in a few years.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
^^ do you ever sleep? lol

no pins for me but i will secure it from the inside:beer:
LOL, i usually hit the sack around 3ish, though it varies day to day. this will be changing when i start my new job at the beginning of next month though.

Users who are viewing this thread