Test Mule Spotted

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
hmmm....hipo off road track instead of another badass sport truck :dw::(:nonono:

jec1521

Jay
Established Member
It looks cool and all, but I don't understand what Ford is thinking. Most people buy Lightning's to drive everyday. I doubt many people will buy this truck as a DD.

CGoeschel

Established Member
take a look at how many people drive lifted/modified 4x4's everyday all around you and I think youll reconsider especially with off road racing becoming one of the fastest growing sports and Ford building a truck with true off road prowess, not just looks. Plus its going to be a limited production, so they dont have to worry about selling high volumes of the Raptor. btw...that is one of the test mules.....the first version of the truck is going to be a supercab.

Last edited:

CGoeschel

Established Member
I didnt say it was lifted. I said the market trends toward lifted/modified vehicles. It is true that this vehicle has the similar stance of a off road trophy truck and the like.

SlowP38

Established Member
So who is going to be the first one to try to swap that 6.2 into a Gen II?

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
take a look at how many people drive lifted/modified 4x4's everyday all around you and I think youll reconsider especially with off road racing becoming one of the fastest growing sports and Ford building a truck with true off road prowess, not just looks. Plus its going to be a limited production, so they dont have to worry about selling high volumes of the Raptor. btw...that is one of the test mules.....the first version of the truck is going to be a supercab.

While the off road truck racing sport is growing in popularity, the demand for such a vehicle pails in comparison to what the demand would be for a street tuned sport truck. I certainly wouldn't have a place to drive that thing off road around here, but I would be able to utilize a lightning every day. I am sure the raptor will do fine on the street, but it won't offer near the handling that a L could. I suppose they could do both, but I don't think that would be very likely. I think not producing a lightning is a mistake for sure.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
While the off road truck racing sport is growing in popularity, the demand for such a vehicle pails in comparison to what the demand would be for a street tuned sport truck. I certainly wouldn't have a place to drive that thing off road around here, but I would be able to utilize a lightning every day. I am sure the raptor will do fine on the street, but it won't offer near the handling that a L could. I suppose they could do both, but I don't think that would be very likely. I think not producing a lightning is a mistake for sure.

:dw::??:

metal1313

the point of a truck like this is to be able to drive 80-90 mph off road, hit a jump and fly, make a decently soft landing and not loose speed. and they really are fun. i have a pre-runner bronco and even tho it has about 5in of lift over stock, it handles amazingly well on the street. also it wouldnt hit speed bumps with the lower valace like my lightning did..i didnt lower the front end tho, some one else did..fixed that then had to sell

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
the point of a truck like this is to be able to drive 80-90 mph off road, hit a jump and fly, make a decently soft landing and not loose speed. and they really are fun. i have a pre-runner bronco and even tho it has about 5in of lift over stock, it handles amazingly well on the street. also it wouldnt hit speed bumps with the lower valace like my lightning did..i didnt lower the front end tho, some one else did..fixed that then had to sell
Oh, since you put it that way it sounds so much more practical. Gimme a break. Since it's not like they have areas where you could drive like that, they are obviosly marketing towards the image. With how much this thing will likely cost, they are only taking sales away from their own superduty 4x4 sales. It's cool though, as llong as they build another lightning. If not, it's a total waste of development dollars.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Oh, since you put it that way it sounds so much more practical. Gimme a break. Since it's not like they have areas where you could drive like that, they are obviosly marketing towards the image. With how much this thing will likely cost, they are only taking sales away from their own superduty 4x4 sales. It's cool though, as llong as they build another lightning. If not, it's a total waste of development dollars.

the lightning in its past form is dead. the current f150 is just too heavy.

yes they could put the gt500 engine in the new f150 but it would still be a mid to high 14 sec truck! talk about a lack a practicality.:rockon:

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
the lightning in its past form is dead. the current f150 is just too heavy.

yes they could put the gt500 engine in the new f150 but it would still be a mid to high 14 sec truck! talk about a lack a practicality.:rockon:

Oh really, I thought the concept of the lighning was to offer a truck with better performance than the normal truck and handling more akin to a sports car. It sure sounds completely feasible to me.
The top line tundra is a gives the performance you speakl of with lar less horsepower than a shelby motor'd/twin force lighning would have.
Just look at you avatar. If you are going to drop ~50k on a truck are you going to look at a super duty, diesel 4x4, or are you going to look at a psuedo off road racer 1/2 ton. I know that wouldn't even be a question for me.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Oh really, I thought the concept of the lighning was to offer a truck with better performance than the normal truck and handling more akin to a sports car. It sure sounds completely feasible to me.
The top line tundra is a gives the performance you speakl of with lar less horsepower than a shelby motor'd/twin force lighning would have.
Just look at you avatar. If you are going to drop ~50k on a truck are you going to look at a super duty, diesel 4x4, or are you going to look at a psuedo off road racer 1/2 ton. I know that wouldn't even be a question for me.

really! the tundra sucks ass for a truck. have you seen the way the frame bounces on rough roads?

For those still upset that a new Lightning (P221) never made it to production, you would have been even more upset had it made production. Expectations were so high, the new truck would have dissapointed....it would have been WAY heavier than the PN96 (Second Gen) Lightning....by about 800lbs!!

Even at 500+hp, it would have ran mid 14s at best while the 99-04 trucks ran mid to high 13s.

we will not even mention to you the huge failure the ram srt8 was for dodge!

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
really! the tundra sucks ass for a truck. have you seen the way the frame bounces on rough roads?

we will not even mention to you the huge failure the ram srt8 was for dodge!

The fact that a 3rd gen would be "almost 800lbs heavier" is quickly made irrelevant for acceration purposes by another 100hp, which would not be hard with a shelby/twin force motor. SVT has always been about street performance vehicles, and this is clearly a waste of their resources. WHen you look at the scarcity of places to use something like the raptor the way it was intended, and then combine that with the minuscule number of people would take said $50k truck on such an expedition, clearly you can see this truck is marketed to the posers of the world.

Oh well, maybe the engine will at least mae it into somehting that doesn't suck.

Users who are viewing this thread