Test drove the 2011 GT 5.0 AUTO

Driver72

Established Member
and I got to say, if there was any doubt as to which tranny to get (auto or manual) in this car, get the MANUAL.
Though the auto has shown to run just as quick (maybe a bit quicker because of it's ability to shift faster than any human can and probably launch better/more consistently, it was God awful boring.
No paddle shifter, not even a column "manual" shifter.
Just put it in D and let it go.

Autos can be pretty fun with paddle shifters or even the column shifter and throttle blipping downshifting, but an old school plain automatic tranny in a performance fun car, just took a lot of the fun out of it.

I live in LA and deal with bumper to bumper traffic quite often, and both my BMW 335i's were the first autos I've ever gotten in my fun/performance cars. But that 6 speed auto with paddle shifters and throttle blipping downshift (not to mention sport mode that held the gears to redline if you choose) was WAY better than the 11 GT Mustang's plain jane auto.

Get the manual my brothers and sisters, even if you occasionally have to deal with bumper to bumper traffic.

Oh and on a side note, the tube that pumps the engine sound into the cabin is pretty cool, however, when accelerating you hear more noise coming from the engine than you do from the exhaust, and that's just kind of weird.
I think they should of given the exhaust a bit more aggressive sound and dulled down the sound of the engine coming from the engine bay.
But the 5.0 does sound awesome either way.

Power wise is pretty good, but below 3500 rpms it does feel a bit soft (may be the 3.15 gearing in the auto) but after having tuned 335i's that made 390 rwtq at 3000 rpms (440-450 from engine), the 390 crank in the Mustang would feel a bit soft. But the engine pulls hard above 3500 rpms.

They didn't have a manual for me to test, and this was at the world's largest Ford dealership. They had dozens of 2010 GT's left on the lot.

kingnut

Established Member
the main problem with this thread is the fact you put "auto" in the title. caremeter will be low on this one.

bad2000z

Established Member
There isn't even a 4-3-2-1? Just "D" and that's it? I have been wanting to test drive an automatic too but theres none around here.

csledd

DSG!!
Established Member
Seems like Ford really gave a big "F U" to the autos.. no Brembo's and no fun shifting :nonono:

I don't really care though I've always owned manuals, but still sad to see.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member
Seems like Ford really gave a big "F U" to the autos.. no Brembo's and no fun shifting :nonono:

I don't really care though I've always owned manuals, but still sad to see.

heard you could get brembos, just not 3.73's....

Driver72

Established Member
the main problem with this thread is the fact you put "auto" in the title. caremeter will be low on this one.

LOL, you are probably right.

I know paddle shifters don't really "fit" the persona of a Mustang GT, but then really does a NAV system either?
They should of given the thing paddle shifters and a sport button for firm/faster shifts and holding the gears longer.
They did mess it up.

And as far as I know, again, you can not get Brembos with the auto.
You also have no rear axle option, it's the 3.15 only.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

I know paddle shifters don't really "fit" the persona of a Mustang GT, but then really does a NAV system either?
They should of given the thing paddle shifters and a sport button for firm/faster shifts and holding the gears longer.
They did mess it up.

I have a feeling that was all done to keep the CAFE numbers up.

Fuzzy Logic

ʎʇıןɐǝɹ ɹnoʎ ʇɔǝɾǝɹ ן
Established Member

They did mess it up.

Not according to the Ford web site, I've heard people have been told that by uninformed salesmen. Maybe someone who has an auto or has ordered one can confirm this.

then ford screwed the pooch on the autos (from factory)...

if i could, i'd find a nice dealer and just have the parts ordered / installed by the dealer... (talking gears / brembos [buy the rims / tires i want and have them mounted there too]) on the autos. don't see why not if the customer is paying for everything. true, may cost more... but you're buying a new car and i'd want dealer warranty on said new car.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
then ford screwed the pooch on the autos (from factory)...

if i could, i'd find a nice dealer and just have the parts ordered / installed by the dealer... (talking gears / brembos [buy the rims / tires i want and have them mounted there too]) on the autos. don't see why not if the customer is paying for everything. true, may cost more... but you're buying a new car and i'd want dealer warranty on said new car.

agreed I plan on getting a new 2011 or wait in 2011 get left over 2011 or new2012, I deff want a auto, and want them to do the same, I want the brembos and 3.73 gears. It makes a perfect daily driver, so I can put the blower on my 95 for my weekend car with a manual :)

Driver72

Established Member
agreed I plan on getting a new 2011 or wait in 2011 get left over 2011 or new2012, I deff want a auto, and want them to do the same, I want the brembos and 3.73 gears. It makes a perfect daily driver, so I can put the blower on my 95 for my weekend car with a manual :)
I don't think you'd want 3.73's on the auto with it's really low 1st gear.
You'd spin so easily it wouldn't be funny.
Even the 3.55's would be pretty aggressive for the auto, but would probably be doable. I think the 3.31's would be ideal for the auto, unless you plan on using slicks and dragging the car for optimum times.

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
I test drove an Auto recently. Great for a non enthusiast chick cruiser.
Decent upshifts but everyday normal cruising was the sh*t in my book.
D,3,2,1 selection is lame.
Dearborn needs to offer paddle shifters however that will add to cost.
I was expecting more from the 6sp auto.
1:14 4th gear is the reason for LOOONG 3:15 ring gear only.
1st gear is so short, 3:73's on stock tires would be like starting on ice...
Lets hope the aftermarket can make this AT better.
Perhaps paddles will be offered 2012?

Still an awesome car... :rockon:

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
just had American Racing Headers do a 5.0 custom long tubes..and they indicated it
pulled 411 rwhp, with a auto! no tune, no cai, stock mufflers!

2013Boss302

Established Member
i drove the manual with 3.13 gears it sucked. i went to my local Los Angeles ford dealer where i purchased my car and she let me drive the manual and it is way better. it had 3.73s so first and second went by really fast but damn the exhaust sounds so bad ass in the cab

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Keep in mind cars like BMW's with Steptronic autos work great
but look at the cost of these cars... $40K+

Kudos to Ford on the 2011, but they have to keep the price reasonable.
I can assume CAFE #'s and marketing is what made Ford go with
the 3:15 rear gear and a 4+2 OD Automatic trans.
Why not a true 4speed auto + a 5th gear OD and a shorter ring gear say 3:55?

Last edited:

monX

Established Member
Auto is BORING, it kills the fun of any performance car and keeps the driver less engaged and gives less control of the action. Most if not all enthusiasts will get manual anyways.

I do agree about paddle shifting, since the GT has reached this level of improvements, might as well throw the paddle shifting on for the auto guys who want to do some serious driving once in a while...

CAPTAIN JACK

Established Member
we plan on c&l cai, and sct tune, and will lose the stock mufflers...has high flow cats
and maybe we will go to 4.10's and drag radials..mind you...this is a car that we
took out of inventory ( dealer ) ...it will be sold to someone..and is going in the showroom

Users who are viewing this thread