Test Drove Some More Duties

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Friday I grove two more trucks.

The first one was another F-250 PSD Manual. It drove nicely but it really didn't feel like it had much pick up until it came up on boost. When the big turbo did finally spool it felt like the secondaries opening on a 4-barrel carb. The truck was noticeably stronger and the tranny shifted much smoother once everything was up to temp.

The second one was a F-250 V-10 auto with 4.10s. This truck was the best driving stock duty I have ever driven. It would eat the PSD's lunch around town. It also sounded awesome at WOT. It shifted at 5000rpm but was still making power up top. This truck felt great.

Tomorrow I'm going to drive a V-10 manual with 4.30s (the exact setup I'm thinking of getting). I'm hoping this one feels as nice as the other, but I think it will be better.

:beer:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I drove the V-10 manual with 4.30s today. It was one really strong truck. It only had 13 miles on it and the motor felt really "tight". I think it would feel much better after it was broken in. It was very peppy, and climbed up in rpms very well.

My SOTP feeling was that it was easily faster than the like equipped PSD truck I drove.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I'm looking into ways to add boost. I positive displacement blower would be best, but I may have to settle for turbos.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
Have you driven the PSD with the auto or are you set on getting the manual?

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I agree, but it seems like the only way to get a truck they way you want it (with a manual) is to order it. :( so i just got an auto.

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
You going fully loaded or picking your options? May i recommend the back up camera? I have really taken a linking to it and not sure how i lived without it.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
You going fully loaded or picking your options? May i recommend the back up camera? I have really taken a linking to it and not sure how i lived without it.

It'll be close to a loaded FX4, but I will be leaving out some options. The back up camera will defiantly be there if for no other reason than to help with hooking up a trailer.

Finaltheorem47

I'm a Lead Farmer
Established Member
Get a 7.3 diesel auto. Manual trucks aren't fun to drive in my opinion. Diesels are the coolest also, and the 7.3 was the best one they ever made.

My family owns a 7.3 diesel and I put a chip an intake only on it and its making around 400 hp to the wheels. What is the coolest part is the millage, it gets 28.5 on the highway and 23 in city.. and let me tell you, for a 8500lb truck, compared to the gas versions or even other diesel versions, this is better millage than my moms Camry. A chip will change the shift pattern and you will enjoy it more also if you go auto.

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Get a 7.3 diesel auto. Manual trucks aren't fun to drive in my opinion. Diesels are the coolest also, and the 7.3 was the best one they ever made.

My family owns a 7.3 diesel and I put a chip an intake only on it and its making around 400 hp to the wheels. What is the coolest part is the millage, it gets 28.5 on the highway and 23 in city.. and let me tell you, for a 8500lb truck, compared to the gas versions or even other diesel versions, this is better millage than my moms Camry. A chip will change the shift pattern and you will enjoy it more also if you go auto.

I don't want a leaf spring front suspension, rubber made interior, or a 4r100 tranny.

JWC

Established Member
It is good to read about the V10 feeling good. My friend just picked up an 03 but that thing needs lower gears it has the 3.73's; I think. My next work truck I buy will most likely be a V10. Let us know what you think about the one with the 4.30's.

JWC

Established Member
So I take it your test drive was today and you liked the 4.30's. What auto trans. do they stick in the V10 trucks?

Users who are viewing this thread