Test drove an '18 GT350(non R)

specracer

SVTOA MCA
Premium Member
Likely not relevant to most, but the 350 shines on the track. When a big SC car get heat soaked, and dogging after a couple laps, the 350 will shine. S550 handling is also quite improved over S197 (oh and the brakes of 350!!), but if torque is the benchmark, the 350 likely isnt the right answer

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Reading the comments on the GT-350R reminds me of talk back in the day about the Boss 429. A strong horse on the track, but a bit underwhelming on the street. The 428 CobraJet was a better steed for the street.

RangerDLA

Established Member
where in the world do you need all this torque at when your driving on the street. i have a '17 gt350, have never driven a 500 and cant imagine needing all that hp on the street. the 350 is amazing, it just keeps revving and asking for more. i love it

It's not about need. All about want and enthusiasm. 'Merica!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drewsky65

Established Member
OP

I test drove a 17 350 last month, to be honest my first impression was ... dang. where is the power at? i was disappointed in the lack of power and tq. granted i know you need to rev these up to be in the power band and i was not redlining and banging the gears at all. However there were things i loved. love the way it looks , loved the recaros, and it is all around a more refined car.. well because its newer and has more advanced technology. Even still it would almost feel like a downgrade even for a newer car to go from the power of the 500. I came really close to trading my 500 in honestly but glad i didnt. NOW IF the 350 had the power of the trinity, this would be a different story! hence the 2019 which will trump all opinions and arguments most likely.

RangerDLA

Established Member
Couldn't agree with you more, I'm looking forward to the new GT500. Hopefully it will impress me and I'm sure it will.

RazorGTP

Oilsands Baby!
Established Member
Those cars were purely a status symbol around here.

I live in central Alberta and far as I know the track this car needs doesn’t exist around here.
Not even sure if there is one in the province. Maybe British Colombia. But that’s like a potential 12 hour drive.

As you mentioned a well equipped gt had little issue dispatching these on the street.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Castrol Raceways in Edmonton has a good road course they built 5yrs ago right next to the drag strip. See a lot of 350s on it in the summer.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I've driven a friends 350R on the track and street and if I were tracking it regularly I'd definitely have one.
I still think a regular 350 with 8-10psi twin turbo/E85 deal would be a sweet all around car.
I echo many of you guys here. I hope many have tried one of the very street friendly drag radials on the market, because if you do, you'll know the power we have is usable and destroy most on the street.
So yes, you can use the power and that will ruin driving almost any other high performance car.

Ranger: what wheels are those?

Ghoust: sweet par! Is the Grabber Blue color the same on both cars? A buddy has a GB S197 and wants a GB 350.
-J

This is the reason I had to keep both. The GT350 is a domestic Porsche 911 fighter. But when I miss the instant torque from the supercharger, I switch to my GT500.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I've driven a friends 350R on the track and street and if I were tracking it regularly I'd definitely have one.
I still think a regular 350 with 8-10psi twin turbo/E85 deal would be a sweet all around car.
I echo many of you guys here. I hope many have tried one of the very street friendly drag radials on the market, because if you do, you'll know the power we have is usable and destroy most on the street.
So yes, you can use the power and that will ruin driving almost any other high performance car.

Ghoust: sweet par! Is the Grabber Blue color the same on both cars? A buddy has a GB S197 and wants a GB 350.
-J

Yup. Same grabber blue. When I saw the gb in the 350 and was able to get it at msrp, I couldn't pass up the chance.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RangerDLA

Established Member

-J

Velgen VMB6

MarcSpaz

Resident Trouble Maker
Established Member
As someone who has owned both the 2013 GT500 and the 2016 GT350, i can tell you with no hesitation that if you step into a 350 from the 500 expecting the same performance of the GT500 or better, you will be epically disappointed.

The cars are not even remotely close to comparable.

The GT500 is a torque monster that will constantly try to kill you the entire time you're driving it and will own 99.8% of the cars on the road that a typical owner is exposed to.

The GT350 is a refined corner carver that was built to play in the twisties and live above 5,000 rpm for hours on end, with smooth, gradual throttle response and detailed steering feedback.

Unless you accept that the cars are two diffent platforms designed for 2 different purposes, and then buy the car that suits your purpose, you will never be happy with the car that you have.

If straight line ass kicking is what you wanted and you're a Mustang fan... GT500. Want a pussy cat on the street but have the ability to pop 1.1+ lateral G's on a budget and you're a Mustang fan... GT350.

It's that simple.

Last edited:

rwleonard

Established Member
"I still think a regular 350 with 8-10psi twin turbo/E85 deal would be a sweet all around car."

There is a very nice GT350R for sale at $70k with under 3k miles near me, and I had toyed with doing what you describe, but I think our cars are the best looking Mustangs ever built. So it's torque arms, watts links and such for me.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
"I still think a regular 350 with 8-10psi twin turbo/E85 deal would be a sweet all around car."

There is a very nice GT350R for sale at $70k with under 3k miles near me, and I had toyed with doing what you describe, but I think our cars are the best looking Mustangs ever built. So it's torque arms, watts links and such for me.
Link to said R?
My wife would kill me but....
And I agree on the styling of the GT500, the only S550s that are close are the 350/350R. Can't wait to see the next 500!
-J

rwleonard

Established Member
I just checked, and it is sold. Imagine that. It was a couple of months ago that I looked at it.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Op Idk if I can trust your opinion the GT350R is underwhelming and needs another 150 hp when you have a Butt Dyno calibrated to a 14 GT500 or Super Snake or whatever the heck that is.

How about next time go whip around in a 3v first,... or a 96 2v for awhile, then give us a review..

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

blue 07

Established Member
I agree fully with MarcSpaz, owning a 13 GT500 and driving plenty of GT350's and even an R at Pocono Raceway, nothing compares to the torque of a GT500, and raw power is just exhilarating, but the handling in the GT 350 is better. No knocks on the capability of a 13 on the track or street though.I drive on the street not the track, so I would rather blow the doors off most cars that want to mess with a Shelby.

Users who are viewing this thread