Test drove a ST today.........

2004Droptop

Established Member
Well that will be my first project with this thing if I get one. I'll get a price on the titanium backup camera, then see if I can find the hookup behind the hatch panel. I'd be shocked if it wasn't there. I can't see how ford would make a one off wiring harness for the ST model that will only be around for a year before they have to put the backup camera in. I just have to believe it's the same interior harness as the titanium, which means that hookup is back there (or in the car at least) somewhere.

Pretty sure the parts guy Tousley Ford wrote on one of the Focus forums it is different..... I may be remembering wrong but I will try to find it

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Pretty sure the parts guy Tousley Ford wrote on one of the Focus forums it is different..... I may be remembering wrong but I will try to find it

I suppose that's possible, it just seems odd that they would do it that way. Especially since it's a "global" car and the EU version have the backup camera too.

2011V6Stang

Established Member
Thoughts:

A 5.0 Mustang is not a Focus ST ...

A Focus ST is not a 5.0 Mustang ...

Different animals. That said, I still have no regrets trading in my 12 5.0 for an ST1. I just wish you could get an ST1 w/o the Recaro's, so I got an ST1 w/basic seats.

5.0jake

Established Member
I'm sure the ST is fun to drive but I don't care how you look at it, going from a 5.0 to an ST is a step down...

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'm sure the ST is fun to drive but I don't care how you look at it, going from a 5.0 to an ST is a step down...

Yeah, I often feel that way too, but for me I needed the space for an extra car seat and the 5.0 just wasn't cutting it. While I CAN haul more stuff in the focus than the 5.0, I have to fold the seats down to do it. With the back seats in place the mustang had much more trunk space. Although, it is a bigger car to start with.

I'm really starting to enjoy the ST now that the sting of having to sell the 5.0 has worn off though. And there are a few things I definitely like better, like the seats, the super quick steering ratio, and the intelligent access key setup. Plus I do like having 4 doors, it's handy when you have little ones.

2011V6Stang

Established Member

The 5.0 was the 8th Mustang I've owned (all GT's except for the 11 V6, going as far back as a 390 '69 Mach 1). Funny thing is, I don't miss the 5.0 at all.

Objectively, if all we're talking about is straight line acceleration then yes, the ST is a step down. But that's only one aspect of a vehicle's dynamics. There are many others, and in those the ST is a step up.

Too many other things are important to me than just 0-60 times & 1/4 mile ET's.

Once again, no regrets ...

5.0jake

Established Member
The 5.0 was the 8th Mustang I've owned (all GT's except for the 11 V6, going as far back as a 390 '69 Mach 1). Funny thing is, I don't miss the 5.0 at all.

Objectively, if all we're talking about is straight line acceleration then yes, the ST is a step down. But that's only one aspect of a vehicle's dynamics. There are many others, and in those the ST is a step up.

Too many other things are important to me than just 0-60 times & 1/4 mile ET's.

Once again, no regrets ...

Hey whatever floats your boat. Ive owned many other Stangs as well. Other than the fox 5.0, terminator, few specialty, and current 5.0 the rest have sucked imo.
Still a step down in looks, status, RWD>FWD. Not just acceleration.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Inclined to agree from a performance perspective. The 5.0 is faster in the 1/4, faster around a race track, stops better and pulls more G's on a skidpad than the focus does. In all measured performance metrics, the mustang is the superior car.

In terms of everyday use, the focus has a couple advantages. First, it's a 5 door, so getting people/kids into and out of the back of the car is much easier. It's hatch makes hauling big things much simpler also. While I could fit more stuff in the mustangs trunk, I can fit bigger stuff in the focus...simply because of the opening size.

Also, the FWD setup in the focus, while a disadvantage performance wise, is an advantage for daily use. FWD cars tend to do well in crappy weather, for the same reasons they do poorly on a track (added weight on the front wheels).

The focus will also be cheaper to own...gas, payment, tires, brakes, etc.

I won't go so far as to say I like the focus better than my 5.0, because I don't, I strongly preferred the mustang, the focus is still a really nice, fun to drive, semi-practical little car.

I'll get another 11/12 mustang eventually, but I'll probably go looking for a low mileage boss when I do.

5.0jake

Established Member
Inclined to agree from a performance perspective. The 5.0 is faster in the 1/4, faster around a race track, stops better and pulls more G's on a skidpad than the focus does. In all measured performance metrics, the mustang is the superior car.

In terms of everyday use, the focus has a couple advantages. First, it's a 5 door, so getting people/kids into and out of the back of the car is much easier. It's hatch makes hauling big things much simpler also. While I could fit more stuff in the mustangs trunk, I can fit bigger stuff in the focus...simply because of the opening size.
The focus will also be cheaper to own...gas, payment, tires, brakes, etc.

As a prior Mazdaspeed 3 (very similar to the ST) owner, I understand and agree with the above statement...
Can't argue with the practicality and ownership cost of fwd 4-door pocket-rockets. In that regard the ST is a step up lol.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
As a prior Mazdaspeed 3 (very similar to the ST) owner, I understand and agree with the above statement...
Can't argue with the practicality and ownership cost of fwd 4-door pocket-rockets. In that regard the ST is a step up lol.

Only barely with gas though. My 11 5.0 averaged 21-22mpg, and I"m getting 25-26 out of the ST, same driving conditions. Not a world shattering difference.

I do like that I can get the kid, wife, and dog all in the ST though. I couldn't do that with the mustang...it was any two of us, but that's it. Kid/me, Dog/me, or wife/me. As soon as you tried to add the 3rd organic being, chaos and cramping ensued.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I am keeping my eye on these cars. I just looked at a black ST this past weekend. I am waiting 'till the Fiesta ST comes out and will compare a new Fiesta with a used Focus and find the best deal I can. My plan is to get an economy car to tool around in. Show I should stick with the Fiesta.

On another note. Steeda just sent me an email with their tune results for the ST. Adding 25hp and 50lbft is awesome. These are not just peak numbers. There are long RPM ranges that show this increase. I can only guess there will be similar results, slightly lower, with the Fiesta.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Doug, look into COBB. They make some good parts for the Focus already, including a downpipe, Front mount intercooler, and CAI. They have some pretty nice gains from those mods with a tune.

The fiesta ST will probably be a blast also, but the Focus (being the bigger car) will probably be a little more useful for a daily driver, simply because you could cram more crap in it.

wheelhopper

Established Member
I have already checked COBB out.

I really don't need to cram a bunch of stuff in the car. I would use it more for carting the kids from home to karate, dance, swim lessons etc. As well as to run estimates and errands. Any trips would be in the CC F350. Which is getting 18+mpg now that I have taken the EPA's BS off.

I have read several reviews on the Fiesta ST and several say that they prefer it over the Focus. I'll have to wait 'till it comes out and do a side by side comparison. Maybe you'll be ready to sell your ST by then.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I have already checked COBB out.

I really don't need to cram a bunch of stuff in the car. I would use it more for carting the kids from home to karate, dance, swim lessons etc. As well as to run estimates and errands. Any trips would be in the CC F350. Which is getting 18+mpg now that I have taken the EPA's BS off.

I have read several reviews on the Fiesta ST and several say that they prefer it over the Focus. I'll have to wait 'till it comes out and do a side by side comparison. Maybe you'll be ready to sell your ST by then.

LOL, no more new toys for me for a little while. My next goal is to try and do something with the rental property so it's not such a thorn in my side.

Ordie

Established Member
I got 16 mpg in my GT and as of right now my ST is saying 24.2 mpg.

Although I loved the GT, the ST beats hands down it as a dd for my location.

Sent from my Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2 and my fingers.

VADEi2

DAl2K FOl2CE
Established Member
You're comparing a stripped 5.0 to a loaded ST3 for that price. Other than a V8 vs. a turbo-4, how do you compare a basic cloth interior car to a fully-dressed car with all the toys? Forget the fact that a lot of people want/need a car that has more practicality (four doors, hatch).

I've already had a good bunch of guys go on and on about how I could've gotten a dressed up V6 with 300+ hp that would be faster. This despite he fact I keep mentioning I don't NEED (another) 2-seater with limited practicality. I also dont need another big, heavy, guzzling, and boring SUV (just dumped one).

For guys like me, the ST covers a lot of categories. I'd say there's gotta be a reason it's already winning so many accolades - hardly "sad", IMO.

I totally agree, this is the reason I picked up one myself. With my commute of 108 miles round trip. I needed something practical that was fun to drive and could give me an average of 30 mpg.

96lasersnake

storm trooper'd cobra
Established Member
Well after this post I have since been back and test drove a 14 with the st3 package. Seems the bang from 1-2 shift is better. Someone told me they had a revised motor mount and there was a tsb for the 13's for the 1-2 shift bang. Also the all leather recaros seem a little easier to get in and out than the half leather ones. This one felt a little more powerful than the first one I drove, maybe just in my head. That being said I just had a kiddo and am kind of shopping these again, along with vw gti, mazdaspeed etc. Anybody having issues with these?

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

Well after this post I have since been back and test drove a 14 with the st3 package. Seems the bang from 1-2 shift is better. Someone told me they had a revised motor mount and there was a tsb for the 13's for the 1-2 shift bang. Also the all leather recaros seem a little easier to get in and out than the half leather ones. This one felt a little more powerful than the first one I drove, maybe just in my head. That being said I just had a kiddo and am kind of shopping these again, along with vw gti, mazdaspeed etc. Anybody having issues with these?

Yes, there was a TSB for the shift bang. They replaced like 3 mounts, some hardware and clutch line.

Faster was in your head.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member

Also, the Recaros have to be broken in. Mine have become much more comfortable over time. I too was upset with the seats at first.

Users who are viewing this thread