Test drove a 2020 Raptor - highs/lows

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
With untouched long blocks, transmissions, and transfer cases? Yeah I doubt that.

Why is that so hard to believe? Regular maintenance does wonders on the gen 1 raptors.

Not so much for the gen 2. Most have issues before 60k miles. 10speed issues, 3.5 issues

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Because cool factor and mall crawling. 9 times out of 10 If I meet another Raptor owner (Gen1/2) on the street they look at me crazy as **** when I invite them to an off-road event. People literally just see cool looking "lifted" trucks between the two.

You're cupping the Tremors balls. The Godzilla is in its first year of production, how do you know it is crazy reliable? I'm guessing your friends where trying to buy a truck in 17/18? The fact that Raptors were "hard" to come by at MSRP during that time frame probably played a role. Also did they even use their gen 1 for their intended purpose?
Revised parts for the cam phaser, timing chain, etc. Hell, they did a mid year parts change on the 18. Went from the plastic composite oil pan (@DriftwoodSVT had that pan) to a metal oil pan, which mine has.
Thank You.

I’m waiting on the build specs on my friends old Raptor.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Why is that so hard to believe? Regular maintenance does wonders on the gen 1 raptors.

Not so much for the gen 2. Most have issues before 60k miles. 10speed issues, 3.5 issues
Getting to 400k mi is rare. At the least that is 40k mi/yr and at the most 67k mi/yr. Not a whole lot of people hit that kind of mileage. Call me skeptical, as a truck that is often off-roaded is going to require rebuilds of major components.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Also did they even use their gen 1 for their intended purpose?

upload_2020-6-22_20-35-11.jpeg

Raptor performance group built it..
RPG BOLT long travel coil overs/bypass shocks with air bumps.. strapped at 18.5 inches. Rpg bed cage and Deavers with 3.5” bypass shocks and air bumps custom bumpers and lights and RPG interior roll cage.
Jarrett Valleti and Corey Kausch builders. Are these guys known within the Raptor community?

Friends Raptor. He wants another gen1.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Getting to 400k mi is rare. At the least that is 40k mi/yr and at the most 67k mi/yr. Not a whole lot of people hit that kind of mileage. Call me skeptical, as a truck that is often off-roaded is going to require rebuilds of major components.

I agree 400k is rare, but there are some Gen 1 out there with that kinda of milage that still off road.

Maintenance will be a must not and option. The 6.2L has been proven tough, the 6speed auto has been proven tough, the shocks have been proven tough. At that milage there is no dought parts have been replaced. But nothing out of the ordinary.

There are plenty of gen 1 with over 100k miles running strong.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1647821
Raptor performance group built it..
RPG BOLT long travel coil overs/bypass shocks with air bumps.. strapped at 18.5 inches. Rpg bed cage and Deavers with 3.5” bypass shocks and air bumps custom bumpers and lights and RPG interior roll cage.
Jarrett Valleti and Corey Kausch builders. Are these guys known within the Raptor community?

Friends Raptor. He wants another gen1.
Well considering I have RPG's bump stop kit in my garage waiting to go on my truck and RPG had one of their trucks out at Texas Raptor Run a couple weekends ago...I would say yes, Corey and RPG are known in the community lol. I just talked to RPG today actually about the install of the kit, super awesome guys.

That is a nice build, do you know if he had Fox's or Kings?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Well considering I have RPG's bump stop kit in my garage waiting to go on my truck and RPG had one of their trucks out at Texas Raptor Run a couple weekends ago...I would say yes, Corey and RPG are known in the community lol. I just talked to RPG today actually about the install of the kit, super awesome guys.

That is a nice build, do you know if he had Fox's or Kings?
upload_2020-6-22_20-51-2.jpeg

upload_2020-6-22_20-51-25.jpeg

Before his wrap.

I’m a huge Raptor fan and have been to Greg Foutz shop a number of times. I also know that the gen2 destroyed the gen1 loop by 25%.
I based my reply not on my purchase but from those who’ve owned the gen1/gen2 Raptor.
I did not know if the 3.5 changes. Thanks. Still like the 6.2 better. Would be sweet with the 7.3 imo.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
I agree 400k is rare, but there are some Gen 1 out there with that kinda of milage that still off road.

Maintenance will be a must not and option. The 6.2L has been proven tough, the 6speed auto has been proven tough, the shocks have been proven tough. At that milage there is no dought parts have been replaced. But nothing out of the ordinary.

There are plenty of gen 1 with over 100k miles running strong.
Dude you said "a lot" earlier, not some. The shocks have been proven...lol. Not for longevity or going really fast/smooth. Texas Shock Works (TSW) is a business specifically started to rebuild Raptor shocks. The bottom line, whether Gen1/2 the shocks are not the greatest. I'm 1 of 2 guys (both Gen 2) out of 15ish (combo of Gen1/2) that has not upgraded their shocks (yet). I know more guys that have had the engines/transmissions/transfer cases rebuilt in Gen 1's <150k mi than I do >150k mi with no major work done.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
View attachment 1647823
View attachment 1647824
Before his wrap.

I’m a huge Raptor fan and have been to Greg Foutz shop a number of times. I also know that the gen2 destroyed the gen1 loop by 25%.
I based my reply not on my purchase but from those who’ve owned the gen1/gen2 Raptor.
I did not know if the 3.5 changes. Thanks. Still like the 6.2 better. Would be sweet with the 7.3 imo.
Why did he get rid of it? I would love to do RPG's BOLT and RST 18 to mine, but we're talking $25k (easy) for the setup. I just don't have that kind of money right now, hell I'm lucky I get to keep my truck at all(not COVID related). To be honest I would have preferred if Ford had come out with an Ecoboost 5.0 for the Raptor...but I am fine with my lawnmower sounding 3.5 as it gets the job done well in the dirt and is pretty damn good on the street.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Dude you said "a lot" earlier, not some. The shocks have been proven...lol. Not for longevity or going really fast/smooth. Texas Shock Works (TSW) is a business specifically started to rebuild Raptor shocks. The bottom line, whether Gen1/2 the shocks are not the greatest. I'm 1 of 2 guys (both Gen 2) out of 15ish (combo of Gen1/2) that has not upgraded their shocks (yet). I know more guys that have had the engines/transmissions/transfer cases rebuilt in Gen 1's <150k mi than I do >150k mi with no major work done.

Lol , you mean the same guys that had there 10 speeds worked on 10 times?

I dont know anyone with a gen 1 that was 100k+ needed there trans, motor, transfer case replaced. Must be a gen 2 thing.

I find it odd you have shock issues. I see guys at Hollister still running the factory shocks.

Maybe the owners ive known and seen take better care of there gen 1.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Why did he get rid of it? I would love to do RPG's BOLT and RST 18 to mine, but we're talking $25k (easy) for the setup. I just don't have that kind of money right now, hell I'm lucky I get to keep my truck at all(not COVID related). To be honest I would have preferred if Ford had come out with an Ecoboost 5.0 for the Raptor...but I am fine with my lawnmower sounding 3.5 as it gets the job done well in the dirt and is pretty damn good on the street.
A dealer involved incident totaled the truck. He had to fight to get their insurance payment from it.

blk02edge

Established Member
Yes gen 2 technology wise is much above gen 1. Gen 1 still a drivers truck.

Believe what you want but there have been a good amount of people that went back to gen 1. Preference i guess.

Why would the raptor and tremor not be compared? They Aim at similar buyers.
My question was rhetorical. I know exactly why people cross shop them, it's just... A stupid comparison. It's like choosing the shiniest sticker. People cross shopping these trucks are mall crawling Meguires wax types. Not truck people.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Lol , you mean the same guys that had there 10 speeds worked on 10 times?

I dont know anyone with a gen 1 that was 100k+ needed there trans, motor, transfer case replaced. Must be a gen 2 thing.

I find it odd you have shock issues. I see guys at Hollister still running the factory shocks.

Maybe the owners ive known and seen take better care of there gen 1.
Who the hell has had their 10-speed worked on 10 times and for what issue? There were early issues with the tuning of the tranny. However, Ford worked it out. Just admit you're pulling shit out of your ass. You're not understanding what I am saying about the shocks...they are adequate for both Gen1 and 2 (with gen 2 being the better shock). But they don't have a long life, they certainly are not making it >150k mi without a rebuild. To think the Gen 1 did not go through growing pains is asinine. This doesn't even touch on the Gen 1 PS pump issues.

You're like the guys that shit all over the C7Z because of the overheating and claiming the C6Z is superior, all while forgetting that the C6Z would drop valves and destroy engines.

A dealer involved incident totaled the truck. He had to fight to get their insurance payment from it.
Damn that sucks.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
My question was rhetorical. I know exactly why people cross shop them, it's just... A stupid comparison. It's like choosing the shiniest sticker. People cross shopping these trucks are mall crawling Meguires wax types. Not truck people.
Not truck people?
If either vehicle is not a truck it’s the Raptor. It’s awesome and goes like hell in the dirt however so does a sand rail. What is more fun Raptor or SD? The Raptor. Or the choice of what is more useful...that can still go off pavement?
Who the hell has had their 10-speed worked on 10 times and for what issue? There were early issues with the tuning of the tranny. However, Ford worked it out. Just admit you're pulling shit out of your ass. You're not understanding what I am saying about the shocks...they are adequate for both Gen1 and 2 (with gen 2 being the better shock). But they don't have a long life, they certainly are not making it >150k mi without a rebuild. To think the Gen 1 did not go through growing pains is asinine. This doesn't even touch on the Gen 1 PS pump issues.
You’re bagging on the gen1 hard, I know you own the gen2....

Last edited:

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member
Not truck people?
If either vehicle is not a truck it’s the Raptor. It’s awesome and goes like hell in the dirt however so does a sand rail. What is more fun Raptor or SD? The Raptor. Or the choice of what is more useful...that can still go off pavement?
You missed what he meant. The two are on different ends of the spectrum of trucks and cross shoppers are only looking for what is cool, not at their actual intended uses. Those people will never take their Raptor truly off-roading and won't be towing big ass loads with the Tremor. Therefore not truck people.

You’re bagging on the gen1 hard, I know you own the gen2....
I'm trying to put it into perspective. The Gen 1 is not without issue and the Gen 2 is not some issue riddled POS like you guys are making it out to be.

kaz109

Established Member
A quick search showed no results.
I found 150 3.5 v Raptor 3.5.
I found 18 Raptor v 19 Raptor suspension differences live valve shocks.
I did not find Raptor 3.5 differences between 18 v 19 or 20....

I still waiting....

I guess you missed this post by @ssj4sadie

" Revised parts for the cam phaser, timing chain, etc. Hell, they did a mid year parts change on the 18. "

If you spent time on the raptor site you would know it was the cam phaser that was the issue pre mid 2018 refresh. But instead you want to see the other side of it on the tremor side then come here and through our your UNINFORMED opinion.

So for the last time you have been proven wrong , the OP didn't ask you about the Gen 1 and it is clear you don't much of AT ALL about the Gen 2 so please ......move along.

kaz109

Established Member
Considering you’re opinion is always opposite of mine this is a stunning validation of my point.
More than one are turning in their raptors and purchasing the Tremor, 7.3 and 6.7. There’s another group turning in their gen2 raptors and purchasing gen1 raptors. Uniformed indeed!
Two friends had Gen1 Raptors and instead of going gen2 they went 250 platinums couple years ago. Yes, still uniformed....

The Raptor is meant for high speed dessert/off road racing. It does well in hill climbs as well.
The Tremor is a truck that can hill climb rock crawl run water and tow 15k lbs and haul 3k. No other oem truck does all this!
Goin from a Raptor to a Tremor...
Damn not another one. Posted 20 min ago...
Dovefield

So the example you use to prove your point is a guy trading a 2013 raptor ( not a 2020 like the thread topic) because he needed a bigger truck to pull a camping trailer......not because his raptor ( which again wasnt even the Gen in discussion) was having issues....

Jesus christ and here I was giving you credit for half a brain lol....

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So the example you use to prove your point is a guy trading a 2013 raptor ( not a 2020 like the thread topic) because he needed a bigger truck to pull a camping trailer......not because his raptor ( which again wasnt even the Gen in discussion) was having issues....

Jesus christ and here I was giving you credit for half a brain lol....
I’ll put it in language you can understand.
Gen2 Raptor owners are selling to buy Tremors.
Gen2 Raptor owners are selling to buy gen1 Raptors.
Gen1 Raptor owners are purchasing other trucks over the gen2 Raptor. I wonder why?

Users who are viewing this thread