Test Drive Review: 16' Mustang Ecoboost

Formula51

Established Member
I test drove a 16’ Ecoboost Mustang today, which was also the first S550 Mustang I have driven. Here are some of my thoughts:

I was SHOCKED by the turbo lag of the Ecoboost, in a bad way! Now, I drove an automatic with 3.15 rear gears, but I went WOT once from a near stop (rolling) and once from about 25mph and both times you could take a nap while you waited for the throttle to kick in. It was completely surprising to me based on my experience with my wife’s 13’ 2.0L Ecoboost Explorer. I routinely spin the tire from a stop, particularly when turning, in her car (usually results in her smacking me!) and it accelerates much more immediately from a stop and at speed. Now, once the Ecoboost Mustang got going, the acceleration was really good, strong and linear. And my God the car is so quiet and smooth you look down and go, holy cow, I’m going 80mph! It is a completely different experience than a V8 performance car. And one other thing I noticed, while the exhaust note is muted, it has a solid and surprisingly deeper tone than I expected. It does not sound tiny at all.

What the car lacked in immediately gratifying acceleration, it almost made up for in ride, feel, ergonomics and features. I was really impressed by what comes standard in a mid $20k Mustang: quality cloth power adjustable seat with power lumbar, SYNC, leather wrapped steering wheel, steering wheel controls, etc. Honestly, unless you just must have a touch screen and leather, there is no need for a Premium. Visibility out of all windows was great and I really liked the view over the pronounced hood creases. It gave the car some great character from behind the wheel. Speaking of the wheel, it was nice and small in diameter, with a thick rim, and was very easy to adjust to my liking. Steering feel was solid, to the point where I did not notice it in either a good or bad way. For reference, I drove my lowered and rather aggressively aligned Cobra there, so not thinking it was too light or uncommunicative is a big win.

The best attribute to the car has to be the ride. The car rode oh so smooth, particularly over a very bad/pronounced set of railroad tracks. When I go over those tracks in my Cobra, I slow to a near stop and the bumps are teeth rattling, the Ecoboost Mustang rolled right over them at 30mph like it was nothing, barely made a sound. WOW! The car was planted and smooth on a sweeping curve with a pavement transition and over all kinds of pot holes, patches, cracks, etc. (our roads are terrible around here). There is nothing I can think to complain about from a ride perspective. Obviously I did not get to push the car to the limits and feel the dynamics in those situations, but for normal/spirited driving on local roads, it was fantastic!

Two ergonomic issues bothered me. One, the bottom seat cushion power tilt is literally only tilting the cushion about the axis where it meets the bottom of the back rest. This is great for providing support under your thighs, but not the best for finding the perfect driving position. In contrast, my wife’s Explorer seat tilts the entire seat assembly backward. Perhaps this is how the Mustang works if you get a Premium? Second, and this one drove me nuts, there is no place to rest your right elbow while driving! They put the emergency brake on the driver side in order to improve the ergonomics of the cup holder and shifter, pushing it towards the passenger seat, making it easier to reach drinks from the driver seat and getting it out of the way of the shifter in a manual. I get it, but your elbow rests right on top of the emergency brake lever! Perhaps if the lever was not two feet long they could have extended the console up a little to give you a place to rest your elbow. As annoying as this is, the rest of the cars ergonomics were great. Hopefully the aftermarket will make a something to fix this little nuisance.

In summary, the S550 Mustang is a great car overall, but the Ecoboost Mustang just didn’t have enough throttle response for me. Perhaps, a manual transmission with the performance pack 3.55 gears would do better, but I don’t think it will cure the turbo lag. My wife’s Explorer doesn’t have 3.55 gears or a manual and it has better throttle response. I think it is just the way Ford tuned the Mustang, which is disappointing. I guess if you are willing to tune your car straight off the lot, it could solve the problem. I know a lot of people are doing this, but there are also a lot of people who are not willing to void a warranty on a brand new car. For me, the Ecoboost is a no go in stock form. Hopefully Ford will make some tweaks in the coming years because it is oh so close, oh so close.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for sharing!

Weird on the lag, my 2010 SHO rips off the line.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
Exact opposite of how my EB mustang is, it is a manual though. if it is not in sport mode the turbo comes in late for fuel economy purposes. in sport mode there is no turbo lag at all. has to do with the throttle calibrations, there has been a few times I have killed it taking off from a stop in normal mode. then if you leave the same way in sport mode it roasts the tires.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I get it, but your elbow rests right on top of the emergency brake lever! Perhaps if the lever was not two feet long they could have extended the console up a little to give you a place to rest your elbow. As annoying as this is, the rest of the cars ergonomics were great. Hopefully the aftermarket will make a something to fix this little nuisance.

Short people problems. LOL

Weird on the lag, my 2010 SHO rips off the line.

Because 3.8L V6 > 2.3L 4-banger

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I rocked one of the Ecoboost Mustangs for a week. You have to mash the throttle to avoid that feeling of turbo lag. It is annoying but I think it is more on tuning than mechanical. A good tune could open it up and refine some of the odd characteristics of the car. Sport mode really opens it up though.

Last edited:

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member
And one other thing I noticed, while the exhaust note is muted, it has a solid and surprisingly deeper tone than I expected. It does not sound tiny at all.

That wasn't the real exhaust you were hearing.....

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Keep in mind, it will learn better throttle inputs as it learns you as a driver. I had this issue driving about 5 different Automatic 8spd 2.0t Genesis Coupes all at dealerships, so they had fresh ecu resets on them. All felt lethargic and unsure as far as shifting goes, because the ECU is like "who the **** is this guy now? Who the **** does he think he is wanting WOT in 1st?" until I got to my 6MT which I eventually purchased because it didnt have that issue. As you drive more the ECU changes the throttle mapping/scaling to anticipate for how you drive. Not sure on the new Mustangs but for instance my Genesis, the stock mapping isnt even close to 1:1.

Tunes can be changed back, and unless you are going to the dealership every 3mo to replace a motor and your car looks obviously previously modded and you wear your hat sideways, it shouldnt be an issue. Techs wont actively search flash history unless theres an established precedence to. Most these guys dont give two shits what you do to the car unless it makes them do more work than they get paid for.

EDIT

NM, see above where sport mode changes throttle scaling.

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That wasn't the real exhaust you were hearing.....

^^This.

The Ecoboost gets synthesized sound played through the speakers. Trust and believe people behind you were pointing and laughing at the sounds they were hearing. :poke:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member

Uh, yes. Look for the articles of reviewers pulling a fuse to get rid of the sound. Thing is, it takes out the radio, too. You can watch a comparison video done by SubaruWRXfan on Youtube.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
^^This.

The Ecoboost gets synthesized sound played through the speakers. Trust and believe people behind you were pointing and laughing at the sounds they were hearing. :poke:

Doubtful. Its so quiet nobody hears it at all. Even a stock GT is pretty quiet.

Stop being outlandish.

2KBlackGT

The Man, Myth, The Legend
Established Member

Formula51

Established Member
I rocked one of the Ecoboost Mustangs for a week. You have to mash the throttle to avoid that feeling of turbo lag. It is annoying but I think it is more on tuning than mechanical. A good tune could open it up and refine some of the odd characteristics of the car. Sport mode really opens it up though.

You are the second person to mention Sport mode. I did not put it in Sport mode, didnt even know to do so honestly. Sounds like that would have helped. How much improvement does it make? Are we talking near zero log or just less lag?

VRYALT3R3D

Show me your Members
Established Member
Uh, yes. Look for the articles of reviewers pulling a fuse to get rid of the sound. Thing is, it takes out the radio, too. You can watch a comparison video done by SubaruWRXfan on Youtube.

Wow. I thought it was just the pipe from the engine that goes through the firewall into the cabin.

Either way, if you want to hear the engine's sound, just put down the windows. My 2015 GT was so quiet stock.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Unless you have monkey arms hanging off the steering wheel, how the hell is your elbow that far forward? The parking brake is in the same spot on the S197, and my elbow never touches it.

shanezt

corn fed
Established Member
You are the second person to mention Sport mode. I did not put it in Sport mode, didnt even know to do so honestly. Sounds like that would have helped. How much improvement does it make? Are we talking near zero log or just less lag?

there is no turbo lag in sport mode.

Users who are viewing this thread