Test drive : 2011 mustang gt

CobraMike3

Established Member
I just test drove the new 2011 mustang gt and it was amazing to me just how less of a car it is than my riced out carbon cobra lol. The steering was sluggish and sloppy not sporty like the cobra at all. It felt really big and heavy. I could hardly even hear the engine. Plastic stuff everywhere. Positives? The interior wasn't that bad and the 5.0 is a sweet engine. Overall really disappointed I think ill hang on to my cobra forsure.:burnout:

rajiv1998

Established Member
I am thinking about the new 5.0. Iv wanted a cobra for some time now but the new gts have something to them. I also like thats its a brand new car with warrenty and everything. And I LOVE the interior of it. I want to see a stock 5.0 vs a stock 03 cobra.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I was in the same situation. I guess I wanted a cobra for the fact every other person in my town will like have a GT. I like the new body style when it came out in 2005, at first. But now it doesn't really do anything for me. I truley love the sleek design of the 03-04 cobra as there styling is totally different than the other 99-04 mustangs.

Alot of people say the cobra interior is to boring and simple. I like simple interior over all that flashy crap. Just pointing out my opinion, as I was debating getting a 2012 GT (wait a year) until I drove a terminator. Its my first forced induction car, now I don't think I'll ever go without

UncleDan

Established Member
I am thinking about the new 5.0. Iv wanted a cobra for some time now but the new gts have something to them. I also like thats its a brand new car with warrenty and everything. And I LOVE the interior of it. I want to see a stock 5.0 vs a stock 03 cobra.

Stock vs. Stock they are very close. However, give $1,500 dollars to both the owner of a 2011 5.0 GT, and an 03-04 Cobra, strictly for modifications, and its bye bye 2011 GT.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Stock vs. Stock they are very close. However, give $1,500 dollars to both the owner of a 2011 5.0 GT, and an 03-04 Cobra, strictly for modifications, and its bye bye 2011 GT.

That could be challenged.

11' GT has proven to make some serious power with very little.

Nitrous Kit (100shot) $600
CAI/Tune $700
O/R Pipe $200

Traps in the 120-122mph range.

I have about that exact amount in my car and traps 118mph, but with a 2.76 instead of my 2.93, maybe in the 120 range.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
That could be challenged.

11' GT has proven to make some serious power with very little.

Nitrous Kit (100shot) $600
CAI/Tune $700
O/R Pipe $200

Traps in the 120-122mph range.

I have about that exact amount in my car and traps 118mph, but with a 2.76 instead of my 2.93, maybe in the 120 range.

Another way to look at that would be to spend $600 on a 100 shot for the '03 Cobra and spend the rest a pulley, CAI, exhaust...etc. See ya 5.0.

RAPTOR5V

Firing on all 8
Established Member
and you would still catch more looks in the cobra anyway :coolman:

wjk

Established Member
The new 5.0 is one hell of a car! But for twice the price of a Terminator the decision is easy.. Of course the new 2011 has a bitchin interior which the out dated Terminator's just can't compete with, but the Terminator really is in a league of it's own upon performance. Only a handful of cars have blocks strong enough to put out 600-700rwhp in their factory condition. Plus the Terminator will always leave a great legacy!

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am in no position to sell mine and buy anything new and end up with payments again, that is for sure.
The market is too soft right now to be selling anything, I found a killer 911 race car for 32500 that should be probably 40 or 50. It's been for sale since January! It's beyond trick too!

I must say however that the combination of lighter weight, really dialed in chassis, very effective suspension and an extremely potent power plant with amazing potential has gotten my attention.

I find it very hard to believe the steering of the 2011 will feel "sluggish and sloppy" to me if I drive one.
It makes me wonder which tires were on the car tested, there are different tires available.
No review that I have read, has described the car that way.
Also makes wonder about the Terminator that the OP is used to.
Does it have a Griggs or Agent 47 LA/SA front suspension kit on it with coil overs?

I'm pretty sure if I could do hot laps on track back to back with my car on street tires and the 2011 with the better stocker tires the lap times would be VERY CLOSE.
Maybe not, I'll find out when guys start growing a pair and bring the bitches out, and I don't mean green group.
The older GTs didn't seem to have enough, the GT500s were slightly faster, this is with good drivers.
These 2011s are going to be tough on track, very tough.:rockon:
With a larger sticky tire on a non-horsepower dominated track I think they just might prevail.
I seriously doubt they will be over heating like ours and the GT500s do.
Just my 2 cents.

Users who are viewing this thread