Tesla Touchscreens Only Built to Last 5-6 Years

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Tesla: Recalled touchscreens were meant to only last 5-6 years.

Is this company totally insane? Have fun when your $150K Plaid won't start one morning because the planned obsolescence of the touchscreen (which controls every single thing in the car).

Also this kind of throws a major wrench into the whole, "better for the environment", if the plan is to have cars only last 5 years, and no second hand cars running around.

SHOdown220

Established Member
Everyone wants all the big touch screens and fancy tech put into cars these days but give it another 10 years and people buying these used or owned them for a long time will not want to invest the $1000 and up it takes to replace any of these displays or screens. Worse if you consider a lot of these cars run the HVAC, maintenance resets, door lock settings and many other things controlled all by that screen. Can you image not being able to turn your a/c on because your touch screen has failed?

quad

Established Member
Everyone wants all the big touch screens and fancy tech put into cars these days but give it another 10 years and people buying these used or owned them for a long time will not want to invest the $1000 and up it takes to replace any of these displays or screens. Worse if you consider a lot of these cars run the HVAC, maintenance resets, door lock settings and many other things controlled all by that screen. Can you image not being able to turn your a/c on because your touch screen has failed?
Perhaps Tesla should bring out a way for a smartphone to interface however that will open up a whole can of worms as far as security goes. They don't even allow CarPlay in Teslas because of the security risk. People could get killed if a hacker takes over the controls of the car.

Last edited:

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
I know a S P90 with a screen failure, bright spot/line on the passenger edge or something to the effect, cannot remeber exactly it was something really annoying to the owner as that screen is front and center of a tesla.
To be fair my '14 Mustang's Nav digitizer failed late last year (<40k miles) after getting a bubble in it. No touchscreen but I could see everything still.
Replacing them is a BITCH. Had my digitizer replaced 3 times and after having it fixed, then warranted 2x after it ended up failung again all within a month of the repair. So 4th time I finally broke down and ended up getting the entire display from a wrecked car... perfect again.

Sent from my Note9 using Tapatalk

prs97

Established Member
I work in tech and can't wait to get out of it.

if cars are going the way (even more) of tech, I'm getting a '64 Buick Riviera and driving in simplicity & style for the rest of my life.

Hell, I'll buy a few and use for parts.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Am I the only one that thinks Musk is a bit of a scam artist?
Hype and deception is his game. So yeah, pretty much the definition of a scam artist.

With all the other major established car companies out there getting on board the EV train, I don't know why you'd go with a Tesla at this point, and with their shitty track record (which is saying a lot as they haven't been selling cars long at all). Ford isn't perfect, but I would trust the Mach E 10x over compared to a Tesla if I HAD to buy an EV.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Back when the Buick Riviera came out with the touch screen I wondered what would happen once the vehicle was obsolete and you couldn't get a new screen, now damn near every car is that way. For a few years there was a place that we used that would rebuild them, but I don't know if you could do anything now.

bluebosss197

im did asbestos i can
Established Member

if cars are going the way (even more) of tech, I'm getting a '64 Buick Riviera and driving in simplicity & style for the rest of my life.

Oh they are. I'm right there with you. I'm rebuilding a fox with a carb and eyeing a '63 Fairlane to hopefully buy. I have no interest in new cars at this point.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm not a fan of Tesla but Musk doesn't seem like a bad guy because he has been incredibly candid and honest about a lot of things surprisingly. With all these tech billionaires out there trying to run the world, he seems like one that is more about giving control to the people. So I respect him for that, but I do acknowledge he has done a lot of shady business and easily manipulates his followers.

BOOGIE MAN

Logic and Reason
Established Member

Until those [redacted] in DC outlaw internal combustion engines altogether. Just a matter of time

"Nothing makes me question ALL of my life decisions like SVTP."

Posts and likes are not mine.

Detroit Iron

Established Member
Premium Member
This is not a surprise to me. We live in a society of "gotta have it now." Drive the latest cool car for a few years and then upgrade to the next model. I think all future cars will be terribly dependent on these types of electronics, touchscreen controls everything. When the bill comes to replace it, many will just dump the car. Got love the simplicity of the old cars!

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
This is not a surprise to me. We live in a society of "gotta have it now." Drive the latest cool car for a few years and then upgrade to the next model. I think all future cars will be terribly dependent on these types of electronics, touchscreen controls everything. When the bill comes to replace it, many will just dump the car. Got love the simplicity of the old cars!
I agree to an extent, but how will that work? So they dump the car with these issues and get annihilated on the trade in value, then they now can't afford as high of a priced new car. I know there will always be a ton that can afford new without trade in, but there's also a ton that rely on trade in credit for a decent car. Seems to me this trend would cause the average price of cars to actually need to come down some... But I guess the overall volume sold would go up and less old cars on the road would still make it worth it for the manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread