Terminator vs Saleen, Pros and Cons

Snake-Eater

Smart Newbie?
Established Member
Hey Guys

I've sold my Camaro and I'm looking to buy my new car within the next few weeks and have been researching and looking at Cobras pretty heavily. I'm probably going to end up buying from these guys: http://www.blacksautomotive.com/

I'm not ruling out the s/c Mach 1 they have or the LS1 SS yet either though, when I'm ready I'll drive them all to see which I like the best. Recently they got that grey Saleen though, and was wondering how they compare to the Cobra. What makes a Saleen so special and what pros does it have over a Cobra if any? The Saleen is in the same range price wise as the Cobra so that's not really an issue. I was just wondering what they brought to the table that makes them command such high sticker prices, and if I'm better off with a Saleen than a Cobra. Is the insurance on them lower or higher than an 04 Cobra's (20yo male with a few tickets)? Any info you guys could give me would be appreciated!

Brad

Banned
Snake-Eater said:
Hey Guys

I've sold my Camaro and I'm looking to buy my new car within the next few weeks and have been researching and looking at Cobras pretty heavily. I'm probably going to end up buying from these guys: http://www.blacksautomotive.com/

I'm not ruling out the s/c Mach 1 they have or the LS1 SS yet either though, when I'm ready I'll drive them all to see which I like the best. Recently they got that grey Saleen though, and was wondering how they compare to the Cobra. What makes a Saleen so special and what pros does it have over a Cobra if any? The Saleen is in the same range price wise as the Cobra so that's not really an issue. I was just wondering what they brought to the table that makes them command such high sticker prices, and if I'm better off with a Saleen than a Cobra. Is the insurance on them lower or higher than an 04 Cobra's (20yo male with a few tickets)? Any info you guys could give me would be appreciated!

What Saleen did they get? If it’s anything other than an s281E or a 99 s351 don’t bother, then again you can’t touch one of those for under 40k, the s351 would go for a nice chunk too. The s281 and s281 S/C are junk. The S281E has a decently built motor, but it’s still a 2v. In terms of performance the 03+ cobras are far superior. Nothing is really special about a Saleen other than the exclusivity. For the most part they’ve very cheap, the fit and finish is pathetic! On their s281 S/C models there are constant issues under the hood, and saleens warranty is just as bad. Warping body panels, flaking chrome, etc, I’d steer clear unless you’re some weird Saleen enthusiast. They command such a high price because people are stupid, they're blinded by the chrome and fancy vents. If you like the saleen style you could look into a saleen cobra, or you could just buy a cobra and have a professional install the body kit. With the cobra you've got a power plant that can handle whatever you toss at it, with the saleen you've got a mustang GT 2v with a blower and sh|t tuned strapped to the intake, not a great idea.

Last edited:

sckcobra

Established Member
buy a cobra. saleens are junk. unless of course youre talking about an S7. ;). or instead of buying an s7 you could go purchase yourself a small third world country

Sonik Blur

]V[EGADET]-[
Established Member
If you buy the Saleen, you'll be happy for a while, that is until a damn-near stock 98 C5 runs you down, then you'll be cursing Steve Saleen's name to the grave, TRUST ME. The Cobra is HANDS-DOWN the better car. That and the Saleen is, I'm willing to bet, REALLY overpriced. Like was said before, if it's not a real S-351 or a rare 03/04 Cobra Saleen then don't even look at it. You can get an 03/04 and slap a overpriced Saleen bodykit and smoke the Saleen, while having some money left in your pocket for gas. Hell, even the LS1 SS is a better deal, in my opinion at least. A S/C Mach 1 is a great idea too. Trust us, Saleen is JUNK! Don't do it!

-Mike

Snake-Eater

Smart Newbie?
Established Member
Brad said:

SALEENstang96 said:
more words
Thank you so much, that was the type of response I wanted. I just wasn't sure what a Saleen was capable of, and after I saw that it was a 5 speed instead of a 6 I got a bit sketchy and thought I'd ask. The model at the dealer is an S-281, not the E, so I guess I'll stick with a snake or maybe even the s/c Mach. They have a lot of nice cars at that place, you guys should take a look at the site and give me your suggestions and input, it would help since I can't decide which one to get, I like them all :rolling: .

Last edited:

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
sckcobra said:
buy a cobra. saleens are junk. unless of course youre talking about an S7. ;). or instead of buying an s7 you could go purchase yourself a small third world country

:lol1: :lol1: :lol1: :lol1: So true!!

Brad

Banned
sckcobra said:

For the money an s7 is a joke too.. there are better supercars out there for the money.. have you seen an s7 up close?? Not so much worth the cash..

sckcobra

Established Member
none of those cars are. and yes i have been very close to one and i think it is visually stunning. it really doesnt make any sense to apply the bang for the buck theory to any car that is worth more than a nice house! i mean any car that creates enough downforce to drive upside down ounce it hits 100mph gets my vote :-D

Brad

Banned
sckcobra said:
none of those cars are. and yes i have been very close to one and i think it is visually stunning. it really doesnt make any sense to apply the bang for the buck theory to any car that is worth more than a nice house! i mean any car that creates enough downforce to drive upside down ounce it hits 100mph gets my vote :-D

On a car like that, for that type of money.. body pannels should line up perfect, the interior shouldn't look like it's out of a 60's race car, it shouldn't have 3" of wheel gap.. Maybe I'm too picky but I hate all that is saleen..

sckcobra

Established Member
maybe we were looking at different cars? i dont know anybody that is a more nit picky perfectionist than myself and i didnt notice any of that. believe me if theres the sloghtest flaw with something ill find it. believe me i wish this wasnt the case, its hard for me to enjoy anything.

sckcobra

Established Member
believe me if theres the sloghtest flaw with something ill find it.

ha ha like my spelling! see how fast i noticed that!

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
buy a saleen and drop an 03 engine in ..............best of both worlds!

Brad

Banned
CobraSvt9746 said:
buy a saleen and drop an 03 engine in ..............best of both worlds!

you got that backwards.. buy an 03 cobra and put saleen wheels, and body kit on it.

CobraSvt9746

Another 1 Bites The Dust
Established Member
no cause with a saleen you get rarity and plus i think it has a live axle correct if wrong

64comet

Established Member
Get a cobra. Saleens look ricey as hell. Look like ass and are slow. There is a guy here that has the SC saleen with about $10000 plus in mods and likes to brag about how fast it is and can beat a cobra. Add that money up and see if it makes any sense to you, because it doesn't to me.

GodStang

Established Member
Depending on what Saleen. My buddy had a 2000 S-281 Supercharged. Series II roots style blower. He had some decent mods on his. I had a BONE stock 2001 Cobra and could pull on him a little, and we all know a 03 cobra would stomp a stock 01 cobra so if you are looking for speed go for the 03. Basiclly with a Saleen you have a GT with a body kit and some with a blower. He did have a bunch of people that would come up and talk to him about it. Also make sure it has atleast the series IV supercharger.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Saleen's are not a good value..... IMHO!

Too much bling!........... not enough ZING!!!

Super charged Saleen ... get's OWNED at TWS drivers school.... by yours truely in 04 Cobra(bone stock)...

TWSTRACK3.jpg

Jimmy :poke:

RixSikcobra04

I've owned both. There is no comparison...Cobra all the way. They handle equally and the Cobra is WAY faster. The only thing the Saleen may have up is looks(if you like that look). It is definitely a head turner, but so is a pimped Cobra.

Brad

Banned
CobraSvt9746 said:
no cause with a saleen you get rarity and plus i think it has a live axle correct if wrong

I guess if you want it because of the, "rarity," then that's the play. The better way of doing it is buying the cobra and putting a saleen kit on it though.

Users who are viewing this thread