• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Terminator Steering Rack (How to get it!)

Discussion in 'Suspension Modifications' started by mu22stang, Mar 16, 2010.

1. wileecoyote302

wileecoyote302 New Member Established Member

Well my close family on M1R, this forum is kind of big one and not as close IMO, but yes I found out it will work out, talked with my friend from speed concepts, he did it on his 95, so we are good to go.

ASh

2. wileecoyote302

04mach1blurr, sorry but yea I only come on here to really search for parts, I had another account before I made this one and used it for searching for parts. M1R is like my close family so I'll also stay on there and will come on here for certain things. There is so many people on here, I do not see the closeness that M1R family offers. So that is why such a low post count on here

ASh

3. wileecoyote302

4. BTSMUSTANG

BTSMUSTANG Member Established Member

Thought Id bring this thread back to life, after doing a lot of research on finding a terminator rack. I ordered a Cardone 22200 rack from my local part store, I picked it up this evening and the product code stamped into the housing is SPR-KD, which is very odd, I am hoping that they just used a generic housing with SPR-ZM internals, its gonna be better then what ever I have it there now, I just hope the internals are correct

5. whi tri

whi tri Active Member Established Member

So I called ford and through the shop my price for the 222111 rack was 119.00 and a ford unit was 289.00. I'm thinking for these prices I'm just going to grab a ford one.

6. SpankinGT

SpankinGT Member Established Member

I have purchased and installed the AGR Cobra R valved rack on a 00 GT Auto. Install went ok besides what I believe to be an error on my part while adjusting the bump steer/toe rod where the boot was put under pressure and popped off a few days after. I corrected and no issues since. I will tell you, this thing is stiff. I would venture to guess that the difference between the Cobra R rack and a manual rack has to be slim to none. Hope that helps someone out.

7. CKreations

CKreations New Member Established Member

I installed the Cardone 22-2000 late last week on a 98 Cobra with aluminum rack mounts, and a Maximum Motorsports solid steering shaft and the change was not what I was expecting. There seems to be a little more feedback and tightness in the steering but I expected a whole lot more of a difference. How much of a change should the Termi rack have made and did I get a non-zm internal part?

8. Derek Montey

Derek Montey New Member

How much shipped to 68901 if still available? Assume in good working order.
    Thank you

9. HudsonFalcon

HudsonFalcon Premium Member Premium Member Established Member Beer Money Bros.

I ordered the same rack off of Rock Auto for my 04 cobra and the production code on their site states SPR-ZM. When the rack arrived there was a different code stamped on the housing but ive had it installed all summer and it drives great. I imagine the housing is generic but the internals are up to spec.

Coupled with some new aluminum rack bushings, ball joints, tie rods, control arm bushings and sway bar end links the car handles very nice.

10. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Active Member Established Member

Just ordered a reman Cardone 22-2000. It arrived and it does in fact have the SPR ZM code in it.

Hopefully, the internals match the code. It's going On a fox, so should be an improvement either way

[​IMG]

Edit: however, I discovered only one of the cobra specific rack limiters was present
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    WheelStander likes this.
  11. ReefBlueCoupe

ReefBlueCoupe Member Established Member

12. pdm

pdm Newbie Established Member

I just bought a cardone 222000. It is not a ZM housing. It has the smaller torsion rod but has the proper ratio and stops. 2.25 turns lock to lock.

Honestly can't expect enough ZM cores to fill the need. Would be nice if there was a way to supply a core and get a rebuild

I can't complain though. $110 at advance auto with a coupon

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

13. 96GT226410

96GT226410 Active Member Established Member

I can only see the rack for $190 on their website! How did you get it for so cheap? My rack is now leaking on my 98 Cobra so I have to replace it.

14. pdm

It's showing me part # 22-2000 is $143.99 with a $95 core

I always use retailmenot.com for a coupon

15. 96GT226410

Okay, I got it. The rack wouldn't show up until I added a Terminator as one of my vehicles. Their new website sucks. This rack will bolt right up to my 98 Cobra, right? Is there a difference in my stock rack? This one is actually cheaper.

16. pdm

Yes it does! Read back through the thread to see the difference. I think you will just have less steering angle. Maybe faster ratio

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

17. 96GT226410

I read it and someone mentioned the feel not being that much different. I think I'd rather keep the turning radius as I don't really see it as that much if an upgrade. Maybe I'm wrong...

18. iismet

iismet Member Established Member

Just a heads up - I purchased an AGR Cobra R spec rack for my 03 Cobra. It is a track car only. It maybe has 7 track days on it and both seals are blown. I was going to purchase another, but I saw a review at Summit and the customer had purchased the same rack and blew it up tracking. When he contacted AGR they stated they were not built for the rigors of tracking.

I called AGR today and inquired and was told the same thing. I asked if he realized the 2k Cobra R was a factory track car. He mumbled something about it being a normal production vehicle and that is what they manufacture for. Love the Cobra R rack, but would not purchase another AGR for the track.

Flaming River offers a road race rack that they configure for the vehicle it is being mounted on. I do not know if they can configure for 03 Cobra - I am going to pursue this.

If you are running on the street maybe all is good.

chr

96GT226410 likes this.
  19. ravinshield

ravinshield New Member Established Member

Purchased a steering rack for my cobra but i didnt receive SPR-ZM they sent me SPR-KD. Have any of you guys had the same issue and installed the KD? Same specs as ZM?

20. 96GT226410