• Welcome to SVTPerformance!

Terminator Steering Rack (How to get it!)

Discussion in 'Suspension Modifications' started by mu22stang, Mar 16, 2010.

1. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Active Member Established Member

SPR-KD is a new one. I did some searching and only found a few guys asking what a KD rack was out of.

Here's the list I've seen posted a few times. Unsure of the accuracy of this list so consider it a rough guide subject to change

SPR GY...'94-'96 All
    SPR RT...'97-'98 All
    SPR SH...'99-'01 V6
    SPR SJ...'99-'01 V8
    SPR VT...'00 Cobra R
    SPR ZL...'02-'04 V6
    SPR ZK...'02-'04 V8
    SPR ZM...'03-'04 Cobra

I've heard it both ways that the housing doesn't matter on a reman, only the internals matter. However, there's no way to verify the internals really? I've also heard that cardone's method of "converting" a rack to 03/04 cobra specs is simply adding the rack limiters, but using whatever internals were present and replacing if necessary.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. 96GT226410

96GT226410 Active Member Established Member

You're probably right about adding the bumpstops. I wonder what my team is for then. My last two letters aren't on that list.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

3. Diabla-91

Diabla-91 New Member

Ok guys so new here, but I have a foxbody that I’m going to put one of these 03/04 cobra racks in. I ordered a cardone 22-2000 part number reman from Advance auto here in Austin, well I picked it up and when I got home, the box states 22-2000 but the code is what looks like SPR-NJ, does anyone have a clue on this one? Thinking about taking it back and having them retry for another one. What do you guys think??? I’m still waiting on my MM hybrid shaft and bumper steer kit to come in so I have time.

4. Slowings

Slowings Member Established Member

Were you able to verify the rack you got? I'm considering buying from advance, but I'd also be concerned if I got it and it said spr-nj

5. geoffmt

geoffmt Well-Known Member Established Member

I bought mine from summit racing, no issues

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

V6&V8SHO likes this.
  6. jman37

jman37 New Member Established Member

Bumping this, I will be ordering one from Advance to put in my '97 Cobra. This will really bolt in with no modifications at all? Crazy how more people don't do this swap then, and they're cheaper than a 96-98 Cobra rack as well which is funny.

7. 96GT226410

96GT226410 Active Member Established Member

I installed one in my 98 Cobra. I added a MM bumpsteer kit and I bolted it right in.

Sent from my SM-N960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

8. jman37

Awesome, thanks for the reply. Didn't want to buy it and have it not fit.

9. jman37

So turns out any of my local Advances can't get the 22-2000 Cardone rack, can't order them at all. They can get the 22-238 however. What exactly is the difference between the 2?

Is like an Oreilly brand 03/04 Cobra rack as good as the Cardone? Or is it Cardone brand or none.

Sent from my SM-G960U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

10. V6&V8SHO

V6&V8SHO Well-Known Member Established Member

Did the same. Perfect.

11. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Active Member Established Member

The only real issue is the question of if you are actually getting a rack that has the correct 03/04 cobra internals. Who knows if all the remanufacturers are even aware there is a difference. For example..

03-04 cobra steering rack on my '94 GT

I believe the reason the Cardone 22-2000 is popular is because (at last a few years back) someone did speak to cardone and ask if they are rebuilt to the cobra specs and got positive results. Of course, it's been a few years and they have received a LOT of non-Cobra cores in return, so who knows if that's still true.

I do know my Cardone 22-2000 I bought ~3 years ago was the correct SPR-ZM code rack.

12. jman37

Thanks, unfortunately I can't wait to have the car down anymore to try to hunt one of these down. Summit has them shipping September 6th at the earliest. I opted to get an OEM one for my car. Even NAPA, Oreilly etc don't even have their own 03/04 rack's in stock. Appears people must be buying them and trying to see if they match up to the Cardone ones.

13. Rusty67

Rusty67 Member Established Member

14. jman37

I was looking at that and it was kind of pricey, but I guess in the grand scheme of things it's on par for what a dealer wants for a Motorcraft rack with a core.

15. SFSN8KE

SFSN8KE Member Established Member

Damn my rack just went out a few days ago on my 04 Cobra. Did a google search and this thread pops up. So my local ford parts dept says the oem is obsolete, but I also called the service dept to ask for a quote to install a new one. They said they have 3 in stock OEM remanufactured in Texas somewhere and can get it in two days.

Can I still get a oem rack online somewhere?

Or is it safe to go with the summit one? https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-22-2000