Terminator Scoops the same as GTs?

cj428mach

Established Member
My low mileage OW car has begun to yellow on the side scoops and the rocker skirts which is frustrating because it never sees sun light. I was thinking about buying some of the pre painted Scoops that American Muscle sells that are copies of GT scoops. Are GT scoops the same as Terminators, they just have different inserts in them?

I know I could get my factory scoops painted but I actually will keep my oem yellowed ones. I want to be able to keep the car factory paint even if it is yellowed.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Pretty sure GT's are different. Cobra side scoops stick out more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
If you remove your side scoops can you post a pic of what it looks like without them?

dom418

Established Member
I know for sure the inserts are different. Almost like a honeymoon pattern I believe. Have your other plastic parts started yellowing? I.E. side skirts?

I'd just buy a used set and have them painted white. Hopefully the new paint doesn't make the other discolored parts stand out.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Yep, they're different. Finding a used set and re-painting them is the easy way to replace the yellowed set you have, if you really don't want to keep them original. I don't personally see a need to keep the original set yellowed, since it is common for owners to repaint the front bumper, etc., due to paint chips and road rash and do other cosmetic refreshes. But it's your call, of course.

Hybbs

Established Member
There is a difference between the 03 and 04 Cobra side scoops. The 03's had a honey comb type insert. The 04's had a horizontal line type pattern. Not sure about the differences between the GT's and the Cobras.

93VORTECH

Established Member
There is a difference between the 03 and 04 Cobra side scoops. The 03's had a honey comb type insert. The 04's had a horizontal line type pattern. Not sure about the differences between the GT's and the Cobras.

My 03' has the Horizontal Lines Pattern...I'm pretty certain that ONLY the 03-04 Cobra's BOTH came with the Horizontal Lines Pattern. They are even stamped TERMINATOR on the backside of them.

cj428mach

Established Member
After doing some looking the only thing thats different is the inserts which is changeable. I found the ford part number for the scoops and looked them up. It says the scoops interchange on GT's and Cobra's so I ordered a set from AM. I know AM will make sure I'm happy.

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
My 03' has the Horizontal Lines Pattern...I'm pretty certain that ONLY the 03-04 Cobra's BOTH came with the Horizontal Lines Pattern. They are even stamped TERMINATOR on the backside of them.
The GT and Mach 1 honeycomb inserts also say terminator on the back of them. I noticed that when I switched mine out for the terminator inserts. Why, I'm not sure..

cj428mach

Established Member
Good find at AM. $200 for both scoops painted and ready to go is not bad at all. Will remember that for future reference.

Are you having issues with yours? usually the issues are on the OW cars that tend to yellow. My car only has 12,XXX miles and never spent a day outside yet has managed to yellow. It kind of makes me wish I would have gone SY, TR, or stayed SB.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Are you having issues with yours? usually the issues are on the OW cars that tend to yellow. My car only has 12,XXX miles and never spent a day outside yet has managed to yellow. It kind of makes me wish I would have gone SY, TR, or stayed SB.

I have a small rock chip on the leading edge of the passenger side scoop....not real noticeable except to me I suppose....but still bugs me. I might spring for them and have them in reserve. I'm kind of gunshy after seeing the chin spoilers shoot up in price....but since it's a shared part on the gt and v6 hopefully it stays cheap and available for a long time.

I don't really understand that yellowing....that would seriously piss me off for such a low mile car. I don't understand why that's happening. I've seen other white terminators over the years and don't recall seeing yellowing painted parts. But who knows what your previous owner did....if these cars could talk.

cj428mach

Established Member
I don't really understand that yellowing....that would seriously piss me off for such a low mile car. I don't understand why that's happening. I've seen other white terminators over the years and don't recall seeing yellowing painted parts. But who knows what your previous owner did....if these cars could talk.
Unfortunately its some what common. Some people had it happen almost immediately after purchase but they were able to get them repainted under warranty.

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...ord-white-03-04-owners-have-yellowing.462543/

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Unfortunately its some what common. Some people had it happen almost immediately after purchase but they were able to get them repainted under warranty.

https://www.svtperformance.com/foru...ord-white-03-04-owners-have-yellowing.462543/

Damn, I was not aware of that on OW. There are a lot of plastic painted parts....scoops, bumpers, mirrors, rockers....not good. I'd hate to see that keep spreading on your car. I'd be tempted to replace those scoops and possibly move on to another color sooner than later

cj428mach

Established Member
Damn, I was not aware of that on OW. There are a lot of plastic painted parts....scoops, bumpers, mirrors, rockers....not good. I'd hate to see that keep spreading on your car. I'd be tempted to replace those scoops and possibly move on to another color sooner than later
It kind of sucks but I believe a repaint of the bad areas should fix the issue permanently. The scoops and rockers get the worst, my rear bumper has a light amount to it but really not noticeable by most people. I bet a repaint of everything should fix it, I was just hoping to have a mint original paint car as thats why I bought a mint original car.

I need to stay white though to keep my Mustangs matching. This is my Terminators older brother and the reason I wanted OW.

f1egrr.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
It kind of sucks but I believe a repaint of the bad areas should fix the issue permanently. The scoops and rockers get the worst, my rear bumper has a light amount to it but really not noticeable by most people. I bet a repaint of everything should fix it, I was just hoping to have a mint original paint car as thats why I bought a mint original car.

I need to stay white though to keep my Mustangs matching. This is my Terminators older brother and the reason I wanted OW.

f1egrr.jpg

wow, cool! I see why the desire to keep the OW terminator. Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to repaint a few items....I only brought up a color change because I recall in the past your desire to keep originality. Considering all the blood sweat and tears you've already invested in this OW car, might as well keep it.

But....sonic blue or tr or whatever wouldn't look too shabby garaged next to that classic, either (-;

01yellercobra

Established Member
I used to hang out with Flyin. I remember him showing me the yellowing on the plastic parts. To say he wasn't happy was an understatement.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

josephcostello

Established Member
On my MG I bought terminator side scoops and you could tell they were a little hazy and dull...light polish and sealant cleaned it right up. I took them off to do this, might be worth a try.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

cj428mach

Established Member
I installed the new scoops yesterday and took pics of the difference. The ones that look like smokers teeth are the original scoops on the left side.

34gromq.jpg

ohpt0h.jpg

The one down side to these scoops is the inserts they come with are supposed to be held in with double sided tape as the scoops weren't made with the mounting holes in them for the factory inserts. It just took about 15 mins with a drill to drill the holes for the factory inserts to be snapped into the openings.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread